Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 11:17   #1

Boat: Comet 41s
Beneteau 55 sunk?

On SA they are talking about a brand new Beneteau 55 that was abandoned during a delivery. I don't find anything on the internet except there...and it is too soon for the 1 of April lie.

Anybody knows something about?

sunk | Sailing Anarchy

PS: Well, It seems it has nothing to do with 1/4:

http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2484962/

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 11:26   #2

Re: Beneteau 55 sunk?

Should be interesting to see exactly what happened in this case. Been a bad run for Benni lately.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 11:37   #3

And if this was a brand new boat being delivered to a boat show (as they say in SA) that's a completely different ball game. The conditions were not particularly bad.

I guess Beneteau has some explanations to give. It can be something stupid like the washing machine seacock, but unless the boat hit some object and has result had an water entry, it is going to be impossible to find out what happen. The boat was left to sink.
Old 31-03-2015, 11:56   #4
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
On SA they are talking about a brand new Beneteau 55 that was abandoned during a delivery. I don't find anything on the internet except there...and it is too soon for the 1 of April lie.

Anybody knows something about?

sunk | Sailing Anarchy

PS: Well, It seems it has nothing to do with 1/4:

Coast Guard rescues 2 from sinking sailboat

Classic example of a "Friday Night News Dump", although those usually originate in Washington, DC... :-)

Very strange how little info is flowing on this one, really surprised to see no mention yet from LATITUDE 38, for instance...

However, it does seem plausible the boat might have been bound, as claimed on SA, for the Strictly Sail Show in Oakland... This press release from Beneteau indicates an Oceanis 55 will be one of the boats exhibited:

Oakland Boat Show / Boatshows & Events - BENETEAU AMERICA

...and yet it's not listed on the Strictly Sail website... So, who knows?

Sure hope it wasn't caused by one of those pretty picture windows in the topsides getting punched in...

Although, if it was, I seriously doubt we'll ever hear about it... :-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 12:05   #5

I guess if the crew wasn't able to source the leak we will never know. That's always an issue with full liners, finding hull leaks. If a port failed I expect we will hear.pretty soon. Seems the boys at SA are usually good for more details. Not a bad looking boat!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 12:14   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

No details and yet already 2 throw out make up stories of cause etc

Got to love the internet.
Old 31-03-2015, 12:33   #7
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No details and yet already 2 throw out make up stories of cause etc

Got to love the internet.
I would think it was obvious what I posted was pure speculation, nothing more...

Of course, anyone looking at that boat can see at a glance that such an occurrence would be inconceivable, and completely beyond the realm of possibility...

:-)
Old 31-03-2015, 12:39   #8

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

It's becoming extremely dangerous to sail on a heading that will put you at a boat show... Or race... Or anywhere else you've promised that your boat will be, before it gets there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-03-2015, 17:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Power, Sail, Multihull

I was asked by the broker if I could deliver this boat to the show. I declined because I had another job scheduled for this week (now canceled due to wx). I am trying to find out from the broker what happened, so far no word. I'm sure he's busy...

I wonder why this crew was 17nm offshore? The lighter conditions were within a mile offshore. I would have motor sailed her near shore.

Anyway, sounds like a major catastrophe occurred. With these brand new boats anything can happen. I take nothing for granted until she's been shaken-down.

I have found nothing on the web beyond the initial USCG story.

A. Mustad
Amustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:04   #10

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amustad View Post

I wonder why this crew was 17nm offshore? The lighter conditions were within a mile offshore. I would have motor sailed her near shore.

Anyway, sounds like a major catastrophe occurred. With these brand new boats anything can happen. I take nothing for granted until she's been shaken-down.

A. Mustad
According to the CG report, the winds were only 20-25 mph (not knots) where they were. If it were a 35' boat I'd seek lighter conditions too, but on a 55' boat like this, 20 knots of wind seems just about perfect to take one reef in the main, and enjoy a fast and fun sail down the coast. Yes, you'd arrive at the boat show covered in salt but nothing that a good fresh water rinse wouldn't cure.

I understand your concern about new boats that haven't been thoroughly shaken down and I wouldn't head out across an ocean in one either. But it seems to me that you should be able to trust any new boat of this size to reliably go 20 miles in any direction in 20 knots of wind without any worries. If they'd been closer to shore when they started taking on water, it's still doubtful they could have made it onto a travel lift in time but I suppose they could have run it up on the beach to prevent it from sinking. Depending on surf conditions, I'm not sure that's a better alternative than it sinking altogether though.

It'll be interesting to learn what actually happened.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, A. Mustad.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
According to the CG report, the winds were only 20-25 mph (not knots) where they were. If it were a 35' boat I'd seek lighter conditions too, but on a 55' boat like this, 20 knots of wind seems just about perfect to take one reef in the main, and enjoy a fast and fun sail down the coast. Yes, you'd arrive at the boat show covered in salt but nothing that a good fresh water rinse wouldn't cure.
Except, they were actually sailing UP the coast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
If they'd been closer to shore when they started taking on water, it's still doubtful they could have made it onto a travel lift in time but I suppose they could have run it up on the beach to prevent it from sinking. Depending on surf conditions, I'm not sure that's a better alternative than it sinking altogether though.
Yeah, but unfortunately "beaches" are somewhat few and far between along the coastline between Morro Bay and Monterey...

Old 01-04-2015, 05:44   #13

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Remember the Blue Pearl! A almost new Beneteau Oceanis 50 that was lost last year. Maybe the model name should be "Coastlwateronlyis" I have met the owners of the Blue Pearl who have had ZERO help from Beneteau since they Lost her in early 2014. They now reside in our anchorage in West Palm Beach on a smaller boat they purchased with the rest of their life savings and are trying to put their lives back together so they can once again pursue their goal of world cruising. They readily admit that the boat had been aground and had previous rudder damage before they bought her. The boat had had her rudder replaced and the structure checked and certified by a Beneteau representative as structurally sound before the purchase, which was a prudent action on the new owners part. After several long talks with The owners it is obvious that they did everything possible to save the Pearl which simply wasn't possible. The conditions at the time of the sinking were not that severe but were rough however they say the boat was doing great on a reach when all of a sudden the steering got sloppy. Inspecting the steering gear they discovered the rear bulkhead had completely separated from the hull and was banging back and forth with the rudder post acting as a lever and literally ripping the bottom of the boat out. How this relates to this story is simple. It seems Beneteau is unwilling to address obvious quality control questions and if they wont even respond to the loss of the Blue Pearl they will actively coverup any structural problems this yacht may have suffered. Either way I think I would not trust a newer Beneteau product until the company starts at the very least supporting their current crop of owners. In the Blue Pearls Case I think Beneteau is more than a little at fault. After the boat was inspected I would expect the bulkheads to be robust enough to handle all but the most severe conditions likely to be encountered. The owners admit that in hindsight paying the insurance for the ocean crossing would have been prudent although extremely expensive. Maybe the insurance companies know something we dont?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:19   #14
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Remember the Blue Pearl! A almost new Beneteau Oceanis 50 that was lost last year. Maybe the model name should be "Coastlwateronlyis" I have met the owners of the Blue Pearl who have had ZERO help from Beneteau since they Lost her in early 2014. They now reside in our anchorage in West Palm Beach on a smaller boat they purchased with the rest of their life savings and are trying to put their lives back together so they can once again pursue their goal of world cruising. They readily admit that the boat had been aground and had previous rudder damage before they bought her. The boat had had her rudder replaced and the structure checked and certified by a Beneteau representative as structurally sound before the purchase, which was a prudent action on the new owners part. After several long talks with The owners it is obvious that they did everything possible to save the Pearl which simply wasn't possible. The conditions at the time of the sinking were not that severe but were rough however they say the boat was doing great on a reach when all of a sudden the steering got sloppy. Inspecting the steering gear they discovered the rear bulkhead had completely separated from the hull and was banging back and forth with the rudder post acting as a lever and literally ripping the bottom of the boat out. How this relates to this story is simple. It seems Beneteau is unwilling to address obvious quality control questions and if they wont even respond to the loss of the Blue Pearl they will actively coverup any structural problems this yacht may have suffered. Either way I think I would not trust a newer Beneteau product until the company starts at the very least supporting their current crop of owners. In the Blue Pearls Case I think Beneteau is more than a little at fault. After the boat was inspected I would expect the bulkheads to be robust enough to handle all but the most severe conditions likely to be encountered. The owners admit that in hindsight paying the insurance for the ocean crossing would have been prudent although extremely expensive. Maybe the insurance companies know something we dont?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sorry, but I think any comparison with the BLUE PEARL sinking is a bit unfair...

When an owner of a boat makes the decision to replace a lost rudder (that was known to have been damaged during a prior grounding) with the boat in the water, without even bothering to haul the boat for a proper survey - in what appeared at the time to be an obvious cost-saving measure - all bets are off as to the manufacturer's 'culpability' regarding future problems...

I seem to recall the owner of BP participating in a protracted thread about the rudder loss and replacement here, he was whining about the cost of the tow back into Martinique, along with pretty much every other cost associated with the repair... Attempting to cruise on a 50-footer with a $500/month budget, without insurance, is probably not the healthiest or most prudent approach to yacht ownership and maintenance...

Old 01-04-2015, 06:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Remember the Blue Pearl! A almost new Beneteau Oceanis 50 that was lost last year. ...
The Blue Pearl was not a new boat and had before several problems on the rudder area with possible groundings that could have affected the boat structure on that area. This boat is a completely different affair, brand new boat and not previously damaged.

Tags
beneteau