Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 09:51   #46
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Beneteau 55 sunk?

It has been awhile since the original incident report/rescue and I have not followed this story closely, aside from reading the comments in this thread in this forum.

Does anyone know if the boat was recovered, lost on the rocks, or sank?

Or any further news on the reasons for the water ingress?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 10:34   #47

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
It has been awhile since the original incident report/rescue and I have not followed this story closely, aside from reading the comments in this thread in this forum.

Does anyone know if the boat was recovered, lost on the rocks, or sank?

Or any further news on the reasons for the water ingress?
I have checked regularly for news on the press and on other forums but like on the case of the Gunboat both boats seem to have disappeared or sunk. But there are cases of boats found floating or coming to shore a lot of time after being abandoned.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:57   #48

Boat: O38 & J24

I heard this week that the belief is that the large fresh water tank [which was full] located under the bed in the forward cabin somehow came detached in the rough seas and acted like a battering ram against the bow thruster which is also located under said bed. The pressure cracked the thruster tunnel and water came into the boat.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:08   #49

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
I heard this week that the belief is that the large fresh water tank [which was full] located under the bed in the forward cabin somehow came detached in the rough seas and acted like a battering ram against the bow thruster which is also located under said bed. The pressure cracked the thruster tunnel and water came into the boat.
That was the original guesstimate for the leak, IIRC the delivery skipper was unable to get the floorboards up and get access to the forward area. The dealership that owned the boat just changed their name. Anyone know why? I know the usual reason for doing that but I wonder if anyone knows firsthand.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You mean one Beneteau sunk last year? One of the 30 000 around? Regarding that one the accident was widely investigated by several parts and conclusions were made public.
The dealers don't exactly call the media when one of their boats sink, just look at the B-55. A brand new boat costing close to a million dollars sinks in 6 foot swells, not a good ad for a "blue water yacht". The dealer kept a tight lid on this story. You would think, especially when the boat took a few days to sink, that the dealer or the insurance company would expedite someone out to the boat for repairs. At the very least they SHOULD want to know why it sprung a leak. Sometimes these boats sink and we never hear about it because there are no living witnesses.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:19   #51

Boat: O38 & J24

The dealership expanded its business from a brokerage that just sold sail and power craft, to one that also include chartering and maintenance services. I believe that they felt the new name reflects this broader scope. Passage Yachts is now Passage Nautical.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:23   #52

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
The dealers don't exactly call the media when one of their boats sink, just look at the B-55. A brand new boat costing close to a million dollars sinks in 6 foot swells, not a good ad for a "blue water yacht". The dealer kept a tight lid on this story. You would think, especially when the boat took a few days to sink, that the dealer or the insurance company would expedite someone out to the boat for repairs. At the very least they SHOULD want to know why it sprung a leak. Sometimes these boats sink and we never hear about it because there are no living witnesses.
The boat costs about $750 000 full extras and if the rumors are true they know the cause of the accident: A stupid accident not related with the hull integrity but with a bad fixation of a water tank.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:24   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
The dealership expanded its business from a brokerage that just sold sail and power craft, to one that also include chartering and maintenance services. I believe that they felt the new name reflects this broader scope. Passage Yachts is now Passage Nautical.
I learned some very interesting things about the sailboat business in my short time as a Beneteau owner in San Francisco.

Tags
beneteau