Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 01:22   #1

Beneteau 411

Hi all
I am looking to buy a beneteau 411 celebration, I would appreciate any advice on any issues that they may have and what to look out for/common faults etc. I have viewed a few and am concerned that the bulkhead door to the forward cabin is difficult to shut. Is this a common fault? I will be getting a full survey prior to purchase. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Petertonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Beneteau 411

Install a keel safety strap so it's easier to retrieve when it falls off.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:30   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Nice looking boat and I nearly bought one years ago. The tall rig and deep keel make it sail upwind nicely. Except when the seas pile up.

I would not worry about Jim's comment about the keel.. he's prob never sailed one :big grin:

The stopper for me was... the dark blue hull. Looks like carp far faster than you want to polish.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:18   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

So to set the record straight on the keel issue, there have been a couple documented cases of Beneteau First 40.7's losing keels, but none that I'm aware of with the Beneteau 3xx/4xx series, whose keels are much longer and wider than the lower profile design used for the First series. In any case, such incidents are exceedingly rare and are not limited to Beneteau.

I own an Oceanis 400 which is a slightly older cousin to the 411 and 393. I believe all three came out of the same hull mold with most of the differentiation being on deck and inside the cabin. I looked at several 411 and 393 models before choosing the current boat. The cabin door issue you describe was not an issue I experienced. Probably best to have the surveyor investigate that one.

As far as common issues:
  • A lot of the 411s are coming up on 10-15 years old which is the time to start considering standing wire rigging replacement. They have a discontinuous rig, meaning that the shrouds are interrupted at the spreaders. This makes replacement more expensive than on a boat where shrouds run continuously from deck to mast. It also makes it virtually impossible to re-rig without stepping the mast. Make sure to negotiate your price accounting for this.
  • I believe they offered a lot of engine options - a Westerbeke, a Yanmar, and the Perkins M50/Volvo MD22L (same engine). Be aware of what you're getting and what the parts availability is in your area.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 23:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertonkin View Post
Hi all
I am looking to buy a beneteau 411 celebration, I would appreciate any advice on any issues that they may have and what to look out for/common faults etc. I have viewed a few and am concerned that the bulkhead door to the forward cabin is difficult to shut. Is this a common fault? I will be getting a full survey prior to purchase. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Hi, my dad had a Beneteau Oceanis 411 Celebration and it had the issue with the bulkhead door issue. Although it was easy to fix by finishing the day on a specific tack. It was not a big problem for us, more of a quick of the boat.

We enjoyed the boat a lot. The blue hull was a bit of a pain when it came to fender scuff marks.
Oceans247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:00   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411

I've had my 411 since 2001 ( not the Celebration version). She has been amazing in all respects. Gone from the UK to Greece; from their with the ARC to St. Lucia, back to the UK then out again to Greece (2014). Re sprayed with two part epoxy so the blue hull gleams - though I do agree that it shows scuff marks and scratches too readily.. Have had to fit a 3rd reef - and, would definitely go for an inner forestay for better performance to windward.. However, all in all, amazing value for money.. Enjoy!
Jonathancpwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 23:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Install a keel safety strap so it's easier to retrieve when it falls off.
Jim could, you point me in the right direction for these keel failures on the Ben 411, I can't find any.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 23:35   #8

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Jim could, you point me in the right direction for these keel failures on the Ben 411, I can't find any.
Very good question!!! Jim is exaggerating... some Bene's have indeed lost keels but most if not all, were racers. Don't worry about it and try to ignore gratuitous statements by some who do not know facts.

It is an internet forum after all.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:53   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

411 is a good solid boat, delivered one, not bad in a seaway. performance is middle of the pack,

Agree re third reef, for me jury out re inner forestay, if you do fit one, make sure the deck end fitting terminates on a bulkhead, This tends to out it a bit forward unfortunately

ps ignore all keel comments,

dave

Tags
beneteau