Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 16:19   #1

Beginner - 16 Weeks, £10k - What Do I Do ?

Hey,

I've been saving a while for time off work and it's finally come through. I've cruised 10 days on a Bavaria 46' and loved it so I want to learn to sail for recreation and perhaps future racing one day. I've also done 1-2 weekends of race training but it's been too infrequent to learn properly. I now do want to learn properly but don't know how / where is best! So I'm taking suggestions on your ideal way of doing it, on the following rules:

- £10k budget
- up to 8 weeks preferred, 16 max
- time off is start feb - end july
- any location in the world - thank you airmiles!
- aim to be able to competently skipper / sail a 46' sail boat (with lay crew) for holidays, potentially take up racing as a crew member

All I have at the moment is a dream and a total lack of knowledge of who the best schools are and where the best sailing experience would be. I'm hoping a few of you experienced folk will be able to describe your ideal learning experience that matches with what I can manage!

Thanks for your advice,

David
davidwoodfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 17:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
There are many sailing schools in the BVIs. This would be my choice. I don't think you'll get 8 weeks for 10K pounds but you should check them out. Or if you prefer California there's lots of schools there too. You want liveaboard sail training.
Old 27-07-2010, 03:03   #3

Thanks - sounds like a good plan.

The ten days sailing I did was actually in the BVI and I'd love to go back. It was all arranged privately though so I have no experience of the local schools - any recommendations or ones to avoid?

Also on the cash front I was hoping that within say 4 weeks I might be able to start crewin yachts as a volunteer or competent crew or anything that would let me build hours without costing money (even if unwaged). Realistic?
davidwoodfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 05:06   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwoodfield View Post
I'm hoping a few of you experienced folk will be able to describe your ideal learning experience that matches with what I can manage!

Thanks for your advice,

David
I think you have found your own answer - wave £10k at someone already doing what you want.........for "expenses" only of course Usually someone around who wants to top up the Beer Fund - just a matter of finding them

Big advantage (leaving aside cost) is being able to pick over lots of hard won experiances - that ain't usually for sale.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 05:32   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Yes, I agree with David.
You could be able to negotiate a great trans atlantic passage where you have your own watch and learn by being at sea for a long haul. The knowledge is inground in you then. And theres no turning back. If you don't get on with someone when the boat is 100 miles downwind of the Canaries then you have to resolve it because the boat ain't stoppin for 3,000 nms!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote