Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 21:13   #1

Bay Area Marinas that allow airbnb

I own a nice size sailboat and i use it at most 2 times a month. I would like to make better use of the boat by putting it on airbnb. I saw a lot of boat rentals on airbnb but unsure how I can do it. I was wondering if there are marinas in the bay area that allows airbnb?
sailingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 21:34   #2

Re: Bay Area Marinas that allow airbnb

I'd just like to make it clear that you're about as welcome as the plague at my marina. If I suspect anyone of using Airbnb I'll report it right away.
Old 01-02-2016, 21:57   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Seriously? You'd then have to be at your boat ALL the time to meet/greet/change sheets/clean the boat/make sure they turned off the gas/unplug the head/etc. Your dock mates would also definitely notice all the rolling suitcases. Then you'll likely get kicked out of the marina for violating the lease agreement. Why don't you just put it in charter?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 22:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Seriously? You'd then have to be at your boat ALL the time to meet/greet/change sheets/clean the boat/make sure they turned off the gas/unplug the head/etc. Your dock mates would also definitely notice all the rolling suitcases. Then you'll likely get kicked out of the marina for violating the lease agreement. Why don't you just put it in charter?
I can hire my dock mates to do all that for me if they are live aboard if they are willing, if not I can hire professional host to do it for me. I am looking for a marina that are tolerant of airbnb. Seems like there are a lot out there because i see a lot of boats on airbnb
sailingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 22:43   #5

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I'd just like to make it clear that you're about as welcome as the plague at my marina. If I suspect anyone of using Airbnb I'll report it right away.

Just wondering if this is because of boat related reasons (the danger of ignorant visitors leaving the propane on, a seacock open, etc.) or just general dislike of short term visitors similar to apartment housing (abusing the marina bathrooms and common spaces, late parties, etc.).

Not criticizing you or your views, just curious as I've also seen a lot of boats listed as temporary housing on Airbnb.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:59   #6

I suspect once you pay for a commercial slip, commercial insurance and a host...your boat will get used and abused and you will make no profit. And don't forget these are likely people who know nothing of boats and are likely to break stuff.

I've seen the boats on airbnb but I suspect most are flying under the radar until they get caught and living with huge risk if a guest gets injured and thier insurance tells them to go take a flying leap.

I wouldn't go so far as plague but random people on the docks in many marinas are reported as a security issue. Boats aren't particularly secure in the first place so keeping them off the docks is usually the first line of defense. Secondarily you have people who rent a boat to come down and party for the weekend making a nuisance of themselves.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01   #7

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsailor View Post
I own a nice size sailboat and i use it at most 2 times a month. I would like to make better use of the boat by putting it on airbnb. I saw a lot of boat rentals on airbnb but unsure how I can do it. I was wondering if there are marinas in the bay area that allows airbnb?
So I've done exactly what your trying to do. It's not that simple. First you need to find a marina that is friendly to live a boards. Then you need to make sure its ok with the marina owner. Then yo have to register a company LLP. Then you need to hire a manager if you are not going to be there. He has to be there to show the renters the boat, Then someone has to clean up and check for damage after the renters are gone. You hold the damage deposit. How are you going to get the funds. I use AIRB&B and VRBO to take the money and put it into my business account, then you have to file income tax on the rental income. Some Charter insurance will cover liability. I insist on no children under 12 and they must wear a life jacket. This reduces s your liability if they don't follow the rules. There is lots to concider. Maintenance for example? Who is going to do it?
Some marinas in the keys are friendly to this sort of thing. Mainly the ones that will let you charter your boat out of there place.

Do your home work. It can work. I'm one of those you see on VRBO
Good luck.
togve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:05   #8

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Sorry one more thing. The other option is put your boat in with a charter company and see if they will let you just do live a boards. Some may. As it draws clients to their charter business and you can promote their boats for charter as part of the guest's stay.
togve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:36   #9

Well, I was going to be all sarcastic, but since you're new here I will go gentle.

This is an international forum, with lots of participants from all around the world. You probably should be more specific than just saying "bay area" and then assuming that everyone will know what you're talking about.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:41   #10

Boat: Tartan 4000 40'

Our marina (Constitution Marina in Boston) is a live-aboard-friendly marina (good thing, since I live here!). I don't think they allow AirBnB, but they have their own "Bed and breakfast Afloat" program here. You can enter your boat into that program. They take care of all the meet/greet stuff as well as security deposit handling. They also professionally clean the boat between guests. I think they even put mints on the pillow

A few of our dock neighbors do it and it helps pay for the slip. Not a bad option if you are not here much. I've never heard anyone complain about these transient neighbors so I'm surprised to hear all the negative comments about it. I've certainly never had an issue with them. Yes, they roll suitcases down the docks but not while anyone is sleeping.

We have other friends here who do the opposite. During the summer, they live on their boat and AirBnB their Condo out. They have nothing but positive things to say about the experience (and they make a ton of money)
cabinboybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:45   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

On Sail Loot pod cast one couple did list their boat, SF bay, on air bnb. The marina was not thrilled. So they moved on to the boat and listed their room instead.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:45   #12

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

Quote:
Coyote Point Marina forbids Air BnB and recently evicted 2 boats for violating the rule.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02   #13

Boat: Custom 55

I don't have any idea which marinas will allow it, but I think that you might have to entertain the very real possibility that your neighbors (particularly the liveaboards) will come to resent you for doing this. We wound up with an unfortunate slip assignment right next to one of these airbnb type operations in Chrarleston, SC for a couple of months, and I can tell you that non-boaters on vacation on someone's boat is often just about the most obnoxious thing one can encounter on the water.

Think loud beer drinking at 2AM, screaming children, loud music. In talking to some of these guests, they never really seemed like the type of people who would stand outside somebody's window yelling at home, but for some reason this sense seems to go out tine window when these fine folks get on a boat.

My only suggestion would be to:

1. Make sure that your boat isn't located right next to anybody who lives aboard.

2. Write up some kind of a code of conduct that your guests have to agree to.

3. Perhaps try to vet your clients and stick to folks with some boat experience?

Your neighbors will thank you.

As far as the inevitable abuse your boat will suffer, that's a calculation only you can make, but we typically don't like to have non-sailors aboard for any length of time. I wind up at least unclogging the head pump regularly...

Anyway, good luck with it.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:15   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboybob View Post
Our marina (Constitution Marina in Boston) is a live-aboard-friendly marina (good thing, since I live here!). I don't think they allow AirBnB, but they have their own "Bed and breakfast Afloat" program here. You can enter your boat into that program. They take care of all the meet/greet stuff as well as security deposit handling. They also professionally clean the boat between guests. I think they even put mints on the pillow

A few of our dock neighbors do it and it helps pay for the slip. Not a bad option if you are not here much. I've never heard anyone complain about these transient neighbors so I'm surprised to hear all the negative comments about it. I've certainly never had an issue with them. Yes, they roll suitcases down the docks but not while anyone is sleeping.

We have other friends here who do the opposite. During the summer, they live on their boat and AirBnB their Condo out. They have nothing but positive things to say about the experience (and they make a ton of money)
This sounds like a win-win. The harbor master can police the guests (or refuse to rent to them in the first place) and the extra income can help maintain the amenities. The boat owner gets a little extra income/offset in slip fees. Would take vision, careful planning and insurance, but for some of the marinas located in prime tourist locations, it could be a real winner.

At my Marina, summer brings huge yachts. Guests are coming and going all the time, complete with rolling suitcases. Rarely a problem.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:27   #15

you will be running a concession so your slip fees may go up or they may not let you do this, people without boat experience and no hold harmless agreement with the marina will only get you and them sued if they fall down or get hurt.

you also need to check with your insurance carrier as they will want to increase your rates and change your coverage. the only air B&B I know oif is at peir 39
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas