Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20   #1

Barebones or Fully outfitted?

Would you rather purchase a yacht that had only the very basic systems and add to it what you want when you can...

Or buy a fully outfitted ready to cruise vessel?

And why?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Barebones or Fully outfitted?

Talking a new boat or a used boat?

Guessing from the context you mean a used one? If yes, then generally I would buy one equipped. Usually the price difference in an older boat whether with or without standard electronics is not that great. Then you and keep what you like and what works and replace the rest as you have time and money.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:15   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Bare bones, stripped boat for me.
This is because I am married and sail with an anal retentive engineer with a serious case of OCD. Buying an outfitted boat just means that the inferior/not perfect installations would have to be removed in order for all the systems to be put in "properly" anyway and the removing of equipment just makes the job go longer.

The trick is to know yourself. If you are a normal person, then buy the outfitted boat. If you too, have serious OCD issues then just buy the bare bones and save yourself the demo time.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

In my view you can’t generalize, it entirely depends on price and specification. If you look at two boats of the same model, one with little of no equipment and another fitted out like you want—all other things being pretty much equal—it’s quite easy to estimate how much it will cost to bring the lesser boat up to the level of the other.
It also depends on what you judge as “cruise ready.”
After looking at both boats, I bought the run-down ketch, yet which had been cruised from San Diego to Florida over a two year period. But my wife said there was no way she was going cruising on “that thing,” until we had renovated it and fitted certain “essential” equipment.
It also depends how long you want to wait to go cruising. If you want to go straight away, then the better fitted out boat might be the way to go.
Me? I’m finally coming to the end of four years of extensive, and some might say, extreme, improvements, including changing the rig to a Brigantine Schooner, and adding many items of equipment neither the well equipped boat nor mine had in the first place.
One advantage I have now is most of the new equipment is still under warranty, which would probably not be the case, even in a well equipped boat— that is assuming it actually works.
I also know how the equipment was installed, because I did it myself.
So I’m perfectly happy to have bought a much cheaper, less equipped boat, because we now have one exactly to our tastes.
What's OCD Mimsy?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:31   #5

Obsessive compulsive disorder. The man made new stainless steel shackles and plates by hand for our traveler assembly because he could not find the size we needed in an acceptable metal grade quality.

Like I said, went bare bones because he is not "normal.". Normal people would just get going already!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:50   #6

My initial inclination is to say bareboat... but I'm a tinkerer. Then I started thinking about some of my past boats...:
My experience with used gear on a used boat is that there are often issues that aren't immediately apparent. But a lot of things don't get out of date too bad either. Propane systems, BBQ's, Refrigeration, Dingy's etc add value to the deal.
Sometimes a good used boat with fairly recent gear on it is a bargain.... lets face it...acquiring and installing gear takes a lot of time.
It's all about the particular boat, you don't need a boat loaded with a whole bunch of old suspect stuff.
If you get quality Vhf, Radar, refrig, dingy and autopilot in the deal it may be well worth it. It seems those items hold up pretty well.... and there's $15-10k value there!
I always negotiate as if the added gear has no value anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23   #7

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Buying s used boat. gear is not our should not be much of the price and if the owner is adding it, it is easily removed as you walk away. Newer gear installed correctly is worth it for the buyer. A loss for the seller.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 17:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Obsessive compulsive disorder. The man made new stainless steel shackles and plates by hand for our traveler assembly because he could not find the size we needed in an acceptable metal grade quality.

Like I said, went bare bones because he is not "normal.". Normal people would just get going already!
Wow! If he's not 'normal' where the heck does that put me?
Old 04-10-2014, 17:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Wow! If he's not 'normal' where the heck does that put me?
We are on year 5 so I guess you are just a wee bit more normal.
Old 04-10-2014, 17:59   #10

Getting back to the posters question; surely age also has a bearing on a decision whether to buy well equipped or less equipped?
I’m not angling for the least “normal” crown here, but I was 68 when I bought my boat, so you might think I would go for the ready made job. The fact is I like “messing about on boats” just as much as actually sailing them. So this was a another factor in my decision.
Like you rightly say, the trick is to know yourself.
Old 04-10-2014, 18:04   #11

Boat: Liberty 458

No brainer. Buy a boat that has been comprehensively equipped. Firstly you save money. Secondly you get to evaluate good equipment to see if it works for you. If not sell it on. Thirdly you can then focus your money and effort on the things that really matter to you.

Apart from electronics which date most good marine equipment will last for decades if well maintained. So I would recommend you look for a well equipped vessel which has been well maintained.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 18:08   #12

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Bare bones, stripped boat for me.
This is because I am married and sail with an anal retentive engineer with a serious case of OCD. Buying an outfitted boat just means that the inferior/not perfect installations would have to be removed in order for all the systems to be put in "properly" anyway and the removing of equipment just makes the job go longer.

The trick is to know yourself. If you are a normal person, then buy the outfitted boat. If you too, have serious OCD issues then just buy the bare bones and save yourself the demo time.
I too fall into the OCD Engineer category. We bought our boat, a Liberty 458, from another OCD blessed engineer. Lets me concentrate on improving and replacing key systems but without having to rebuild everything. Not enough hours in the day.

leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 19:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I too fall into the OCD Engineer category. We bought our boat, a Liberty 458, from another OCD blessed engineer. Lets me concentrate on improving and replacing key systems but without having to rebuild everything. Not enough hours in the day.

I always say if we ever sell, somebody is going to be one lucky boat owner!

Back to the original, know yourself and what is important to you. If going now is the most important thing, buy the outfitted boat, If having a boat in pristine condition that you have optimize is, buy a bare bones and make it what you want.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39   #14

We bought a 77 Prout Snowgoose "fully equipped." After replacing/updating examining everything. I will offer this. The age of the boat X the number of owners = the add-ons and compromises done based on other add-ons.

I new this when I bought it and it gave me a good view of cruising "necessities" added over time. Electonics start getting out of date 30 days after purchase especially if on sale. Electrical runs, water transfer, added cabinetry, are all likely to catch the eye of the OCD.
Suggestion is ask yourself how much time you are willing to spend outfitting and triple it. Not meant to be discouraging but a lot of the refit or fit blocks sailing time. So that is a factor as well. Usually look for a compromise between bare and rigged.
Doing it myself gives one special bit...I know where everything is, how to maintain it, and its purpose.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48   #15
cruiser

We purchased our boat barely used (only 600 hours) fully equipped with every possible option and spares galore. The previous owner took a huge loss, and we saved a fortune. I highly recommend others do the same.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote