Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53   #16

Boat: TBD
Re: Bareboats/Management Programs

denverdOn,

You are spot on. I would be surprised to hear that many charter owners are using all their weeks available each year. Same could be said for the majority of boats owned outside of charter, just sitting in slips. Unless you are a cruiser, thats quite often the scenario.

For me, I am single, semi retired with 3 raised boys now out of the house, looking for family vacation destinations during their holidays. I have an abundance of friends, (both sailers and non-sailors), and clients to entertain as well. With lots of time on my hands, and the love for sailing and relaxing, this has been a two year goal. I am hopeful to use the program extensively, and to expose many friends to the experience.
dbsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53   #17

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I think the OP should buy the Saba and put it in a charter fleet in the USVI helping the US economy and keeping me employed. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16   #18

Boat: PDQ32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsuser View Post
denverdOn,

You are spot on. I would be surprised to hear that many charter owners are using all their weeks available each year. Same could be said for the majority of boats owned outside of charter, just sitting in slips. Unless you are a cruiser, thats quite often the scenario.

For me, I am single, semi retired with 3 raised boys now out of the house, looking for family vacation destinations during their holidays. I have an abundance of friends, (both sailers and non-sailors), and clients to entertain as well. With lots of time on my hands, and the love for sailing and relaxing, this has been a two year goal. I am hopeful to use the program extensively, and to expose many friends to the experience.
Some of us do use the owners weeks. We used 6 weeks per year for three years, 7 weeks last year, and have booked for 8 weeks this year. We have a three cabin owners version boat which combined with our own prime time usage has reduced our income but it still produced enough to kick out the odd bit of cash. The reduced wear and tear along with the superior owners layout is expected to result in a better sale price down the road.

Henry
Old 07-08-2014, 09:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
Some of us do use the owners weeks.
Of course, some do. Many do not. The point is that, if you really want to understand the financial aspects of this, you have to be completely honest with yourself about how much of the owner's time you really will use--not just how much you hope to use.

On the other hand, there are a lot more aspects to owning a boat than just the financial ones. Nothing wrong with saying, "even though this doesn't make sense financially, I REALLY want to own a boat, and so I am going to."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 14:18   #20

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course, some do. Many do not. The point is that, if you really want to understand the financial aspects of this, you have to be completely honest with yourself about how much of the owner's time you really will use--not just how much you hope to use.

On the other hand, there are a lot more aspects to owning a boat than just the financial ones. Nothing wrong with saying, "even though this doesn't make sense financially, I REALLY want to own a boat, and so I am going to."
denverdOn,
Well put. I think that this is the page I am on. Also, to make thing a bit clearer, Guaranteed Income programs allow up to 12 weeks owner use, less if high season or advanced reservation. Typically, they also restrict use to owners only. The programs I am looking at are Shared/Performance Programs. These programs use spreadsheets projecting 20-25 weeks of charter which allows owners 25-30 weeks or as much as they want. It is all about what you prefer... revenue or use.

Unless I am cruising,
dbsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:24   #21

Boat: 1985 Tartan 34

Just wanted to let you all know that I follow this thread and am happy for the discussion, particularly in the wake of the enlightenment of the responses to my "should I own a second boat" thread.

It looks like charter ownership might be the way to go for a guy working part time and looking to sail more in warm climates.

Tags
bareboat, men