Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 09:51   #1

Bareboat charter Pacificnorthwest

Greetings All,
Long time reader (two years) first time poster. I want to be a good forum citizen so I tried to do many searches but nothing stuck out and I admit I didn't go through all 11 pages.
Back story. Wife and I got through our certifications and have been flying from SLC down to O.C, CA and chartering out of Newport Beach (boat sizes 32'-40') for a day here and there. A 3-4 hour sail once a quarter doesn't seem to be doing the trick. We know we need something more challenging to hone our limited skills. Our ultimate goal is to purchase and liveaboard (~45) by 2018 give or take depending on the health of parents.
I would like to charter in the PNW but don't know much and I hear the summer can be calm winds. I have vaca so I can go anytime. Any advice would be appreciated. Company, boat type size, good location for beginers e.t.c. Thanks in advance.
chuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:53   #2

Re: Bareboat charter Pacificnorthwest

~45 is boat size. sorry
Old 05-02-2016, 10:11   #3

Chuck,

Do some reading on these sites:

Welcome Aboard! - Northwest Yachting Magazine

48ºNorth.com

Google Waggoners Guide, they offer their cruising guide online for free.

Each of them describes how large the sailing grounds are in the PNW, so you have to start dealing with more than weather.

Happy looking, good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:24   #4

Good stuff thank you for that!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40   #5

Charters out of Anacortes are readily available. It's close to the San Juans. The SJ's are not the remotest of places but fun.

The San Juans are fairly easy, compared with going further. Plenty to do in a 10 day charter etc.

AYC-Anacortes Yacht Charters. Maybe another company over there also.
Also charter companies out of Bellingham. You can fly into Bellingham also.
Also airport shuttle service from Sea Tac to Anacortes.
Typically light airs in summer, although if you get out toward the Straight of Juan De Fuca it can blow like stink in the afternoons.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
Greetings All,
Long time reader (two years) first time poster. I want to be a good forum citizen so I tried to do many searches but nothing stuck out and I admit I didn't go through all 11 pages.
Back story. Wife and I got through our certifications and have been flying from SLC down to O.C, CA and chartering out of Newport Beach (boat sizes 32'-40') for a day here and there. A 3-4 hour sail once a quarter doesn't seem to be doing the trick. We know we need something more challenging to hone our limited skills. Our ultimate goal is to purchase and liveaboard (~45) by 2018 give or take depending on the health of parents.
I would like to charter in the PNW but don't know much and I hear the summer can be calm winds. I have vaca so I can go anytime. Any advice would be appreciated. Company, boat type size, good location for beginers e.t.c. Thanks in advance.
Start to break down your PNW requirements. If you want lots of sailing then you are looking at April-June or September-October. You will still get some sailing in summer months but it will be sporadic and often just in the 5-10 knot range.

Where do you want to go and what do you want to do? US charter companies out of Anacortes or Bellingham are best for the San Juans, but I would recommend either Nanaimo Yacht Charters or Desolation Sound Yacht Charters (Comox) in Canada if you want to visit Desolation Sound. I think for the Gulf Islands its a toss up. There are a bunch of other different charter companies and bases as well: Vancouver, Sidney.

Crossing the strait is often the best sail you will get, so have a look at routes and destinations that include a crossing. If you really want to splurge look at a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island with someone else. OR consider a flotilla. We did a rapid two week trip up to the Broughtons with a Cooper Boating flotilla as our first big cruise. It had good and bad aspects but we learned a lot in a "safer" environment and it was a great introduction to longer range cruising.

What do you want to sail? Check out the boats. I had to work to find a boat in the size/configuration I wanted without a furling main. 33-36 ft is great for a couple. 38-40 is better for more depending on how cramped you like to be and how well you get along.

If you are sailing outside the summer months look for at least a bimini and more is better when its likely to rain or be cold. Again, a heater is great in those months.

If you are flush with time and cash then longer is better; try and get off the beaten path. I know we have experienced huge differences in what we learned when we went from 1 week charters to 3 week charters. And our extended 3 month cruise was 'nother whole ball of wax.

Oh, and be aware that the PNW is all about the currents. Most charter companies will insist you have a coastal navigation course and some experience with tidal currents. You can't go anywhere without running into a pass or two that can only be transited at slack...

How's that for random thoughts...
Old 05-02-2016, 11:04   #7

Thank you for your reply. I will add another element. If anyone has sailed/chartered there before what would you do differently if you went again? Pick another time of year, area, company? Thx!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:06   #8

thank you macblaze very helpful

Tags
bareboat, charter