Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 00:12   #1

Boat: 36ft mono
Bareboat charter in the Mediterranean in April

Hi there

My wife and I have the opportunity to travel to France in April next year for work. We are hoping to be able to tale a week's leave at the end of the work trip and charter a bareboat - we would be sailing in the last week in April.

First prize is Greece (always wanted to see the Ionian islands) but apparently April is a bit early and we might be taking a gamble on the weather.

Since we will be based in France anywhere in the Med is an option - what other places in the Med are good to sail at that time of year, on a comparable budget to sailing the Greek isles?
danimalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 00:32   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Bareboat charter in the Mediterranean in April

Nowhere in the Med is guaranteed to have decent weather in April, but, by the time you get towards May, the odds are getting pretty good. Your only really guaranteed good sailing weather in Europe at that time is the Canary Isles and they aren't really great cruising grounds.

Greek islands are likely to be as good as anywhere in the Med.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 00:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi Danimalia
The weather can be erratic anywhere in the Med during both April and May. Wind direction can fluctuate rapidly; it can be overcast and with rain. The Ionian islands are no worse than anywhere else. As for temperature, the Ionian is generally a bit warmer than the Adriatic, but cooler than the southern Dodecanese at that time of year.

If you catch a good weather window (I think odds are better than 50/50), April is a superb time of year. Few yachts about, empty anchorages, temperature great for exploring.

Ithaca (in the Ionian) in April when all the wildflowers are out and ancient olives groves sprouting fresh growth are carpeted in emerald (with a backdrop of turquoise water) would have to be one of the most beautiful islands I have ever visited.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 01:10   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Just double-checked the dates - it would be from 26th April - 3 May. My wife is definitely a fair weather sailor though and is only interested in going if I can convince her that it will be fair weather...

In addition to Greece, what else is good and priced similarly? Is the French Riviera worth looking into? Also heard Corsica is beautiful, as well as Croatia.

So many choices!
Old 18-06-2013, 17:05   #5

Get the boat in Lefkas, quite protective and versatile sailing ground 4 one week vacation.
hefestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 23:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefestus View Post
Get the boat in Lefkas, quite protective and versatile sailing ground 4 one week vacation.
thanks, can you recommend any specific charter companies?
Old 19-06-2013, 00:28   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

agreed with the weather, we started from Barcelona in May this year and it has been hit and miss, sometimes we have stopped in a marina for 3 days to avoid mistrals, bad weather. But that was the Spanish/French/Italian mainland coasts. Not much fun if you just have a week charter, but fine for us as we are in no hurry and theres a lot to see and do when it's not perfect sailing weather. I would definately be heading to some islands with protected anchorages close between so you can sail when its fine, but be close enough to safe harbours if need be. Ibiza would be a good choice, temperature around 20 degrees, water around 17. There are tons of beautiful anchorages and free mooring buoys, and being off season, no crowds and cheap marinas. Either that or Elba in Italy is another good option for a week (maybe better because the Mistrals don't effect it as much. I can't comment on further East as we haven't got that far yet...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimalia View Post
thanks, can you recommend any specific charter companies?
There are more then few charter companies operating in Ionian. Can't recommend any, sorry as I use my own boat for years in Ionian. Like it so much that I even move there and stay 6y on Corfu. (not on the boat).

End of April is generally nice weather. Wind is mostly from NW but even with changeable weather sailing is pleasant since this is not exposed waters. Many anchorage and dozen of island to visit.
If you chose Greece this is a place to be for smooth weekly charter.

Check this blog. Jim spend a year there and just reading the titles you can check weather

Work,sleep,rest,play. Work! | A Year In The Ionian
hefestus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter, mediterranean