Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2018, 08:15   #16

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Baja to San Francisco

I’ve ‘bashed’ up the west coast of Baja eight times and have experienced a wide range of conditions. The easiest trip was done in May when a heavy marine layer kept the winds light and the seas flat. My wife and I made it from Cabo San Lucas to the Immigration dock off the tip of Shelter Island in San Diego in 125 hours, stopping only in Turtle Bay long enough to fuel up (we didn’t even shut the engine off). One piece of advice I would offer is that when the conditions are good, you go.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 08:30   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My friend did it around this time several years ago and it was really easy, at least to San Diego. The trick was to wait for a hurricane far enough off the coast of Baja to not be an issue but then you will have great winds all the way north. Sometimes you might have to wait a really long time.
Old 21-09-2018, 08:34   #18

My 30 footer was delivered to San Diego from Cabo. (I had to get back to work!) The procedure was: start very early , motor or motor sail up the coast until the wind/seas became impossible on the nose, anchor behind some small spit when the afternoon wind was strong. Start again early next morn.
Of course the other option is to go one huge tack towards Hawaii and back.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, san francisco