Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2017, 05:37   #1

Boat: Boatless
Bahamas with Deep Draft?

Hi All:

I'm in the market for a new boat and have seen a few that I like, but one has 6 feet of draft and one has 6 feet 6 inches of draft. I'd definitely like to include the Bahamas in my cruising grounds. How restricted would I be with these boats? I'm assuming that 6 feet is doable but is 6'6" pushing it too far?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 05:40   #2

Re: Bahamas with Deep Draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Hi All:

I'm in the market for a new boat and have seen a few that I like, but one has 6 feet of draft and one has 6 feet 6 inches of draft. I'd definitely like to include the Bahamas in my cruising grounds. How restricted would I be with these boats? I'm assuming that 6 feet is doable but is 6'6" pushing it too far?

Your numbers and comment is correct
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 06:09   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I did it last year in my 6'4" boat and never went aground. It is just like anywhere where you pay attention to where you go. Yes maybe you anchor out a little further, so what that just means a little longer dinghy ride but more time to do something if you drag.
Old 16-12-2017, 06:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Factoring in the tide, if you are under 7’ you can get most places other keel boats go. In reality if over 5’ you have to go out the Whale and most places aren’t a big problem with up to 7’

I had to monohulls with 6.5’ draft in Bahamas. Now with 3’ totally different world.
Old 16-12-2017, 06:49   #5

Boat: Tartan 37

People with 6' draft will sail like they are 8' and people with 4' draft sail like they have 3'. Lol
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 08:41   #6

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Hi All:

Hi: we have been cruising the Bahamas for over thirty years, with a four and a half foot draft, believe me while a deeper draft is certainly doable it is restrictive in many parts of the Bahamas, particularly the Northern end. That said however, with careful planning you can go to any port you desire. Just keep an eye on the depth sounder and don’t try to go excessively fast, and you should do fine.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:29   #7

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Hi All:

If you are in the market for a new boat... then forget about getting something over a 5 foot draft in the Bahamas. You will be looking for deep channels at high tide all the time and miss most of the Bahamas. Unless you are planning a lot of water sailing">Blue Water sailing it's not a good idea to go over 5 foot. Bahamas comes from the bastardization of the Spanish words "Baja Mar" (Shallow Sea) take it for granted it's shallow.... Even going across the Banks you might bump occasionally with 5 feet. Do yourself a favor if you plan to spend a lot of time in the Bahamas.... buy 5 feet or under...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:48   #8

Boat: Hylas 54

We did Abacos and Exumas with 7 ft draft in our Hylas 54. No problem as long as you don't mind a bit of planning and anchoring out a bit. Forget getting into Hope Town and you will be towards the entrance of Marsh Harbor but no big deal if you watch the weather and have good ground tackle. Green Turtle Cay only at high tide.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:49   #9

Been cruising the Bahamas for four years (winters) in a Nordhavn 55 with a 6’3” to 6’8” draft. Although there are a few places we find challenging, the decisions are usually between whether to enter with tide, or just anchor outside and tender in. Have not felt deprived by our draft, but we do need to do more planning than those who draw less. Choose the boat that works best for you. If you approach it like we do, the draft range you mention won't prevent you from enjoying the Bahamas (and may offer other cruising advantages along the way).
CBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 10:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
We did Abacos and Exumas with 7 ft draft in our Hylas 54. No problem as long as you don't mind a bit of planning and anchoring out a bit. Forget getting into Hope Town and you will be towards the entrance of Marsh Harbor but no big deal if you watch the weather and have good ground tackle. Green Turtle Cay only at high tide.
Where I come from ...that's called "making the best of a bad situation"... anchoring out because of your deep draft when the wind is blowing defeats the purpose of cruising... If you are not relaxing... but worried about being anchored out too far for protection and hoping your anchor holds and getting soaking wet getting ashore in your dinghy and hopefully not getting t-boned by a drunken fisherman at night... you may start dreaming about a 5 foot draft... If you already own a deep draft... then you know how to work around it and where to anchor or even dock... but if you haven't bought a boat and plan a lot of shallow water sailing in the Bahamas, look for a 5 foot draft...
Old 16-12-2017, 10:09   #11

It would definitely keep you from some great spots like Joes Sound for one of my favorites which can go as low as 4’ at low tide but as mentioned planning would be an even a bigger focus.
sailaway40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 10:24   #12

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Dictated colon apologies

We are 7 feet and have never touched other than intentionally to clean the bottom.

By the boat do you want. Use Explorer charts exclusively. If there is a way point and a line between it you will never touch bottom.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 10:32   #13

I've done much of the Bahamas with 6-5 draft. You are restricted at times and often I showed 0 under the keel, but wasn't touching. Personally I would limit to 6 ft max if the Bahamas were my favorite cruising ground (and they are!), and I would only go that deep with a long keel, not a short fin.
If the Bahamas and Fl were my cruising ground I wouldnt be over 5 ft. You can, but why should you given the choice?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 10:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway40 View Post
It would definitely keep you from some great spots like Joes Sound for one of my favorites which can go as low as 4’ at low tide but as mentioned planning would be an even a bigger focus.
I'm sure the guys who own 9 foot drafts will defend their boats even if they have roller skates bolted on the bottom of their keels. Deep keels are for blue water crossings and inexperienced naval architects... but they are great to have out at sea in a blow... or doing a TransAtlantic crossing... Gunk-holing in the Bahamas? not so much...
Old 16-12-2017, 10:56   #15

Agreed
sailaway40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, draft