Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 18:48   #1

Bahamas, Things You Don't Need...

Well, I image about this time of year there are those out there, as I was a year ago, planning an upcoming first voyage to the Bahamas. This thread is for you. This thread is about things you don't need to go cruising in the Bahamas.

I am inspired to start this thread because of respondents to a recent thread about cruising in the Bahamas who I happen to know a) DON'T OWN A BOAT and b) who have NEVER BEEN TO THE BAHAMAS who seemed to think they know what it is you shouldn't to go to that Bahamas without. If you don't own a boat and have never been to the Bahamas and aren't planning on going anytime soon then this thread probably isn't for you

This thread isn't about things you want or things that might be nice to have. This thread is about the things you don't need. You really don't need much.

As evidence of this fact I cite a couple of twenty something kids on a beat up old POS boat I meet while in the Bahamas. They didn't have squat other than a sense of adventure and some gusto and they had a grand old time and managed to get home safe and sound just fine.

I think those dumb kids could teach a few veteran armchair sailors around here a thing or two. If nothing else about the things you don't need to go cruising and have a good time.

You don't NEED radar.
You don't NEED AIS.
You don't NEED a full keel.
You don't NEED all chain.
You don't NEED a windlass.
You don't NEED solar.
You don't NEED a massive battery bank.
You don't NEED a water maker.
You don't NEED refrigeration.
You don't NEED a staysail/solent jib/storm jib/trysail.
You don't NEED a drogue/sea anchor.
You don't NEED a life raft (I think you do need an EPIRB).
You don't NEED a SSB or SatPhone.

That's my first pass at a list of things you don't need but I am sure it is missing a few things. Many of these things are things most cruisers didn't used to have anyway so shouldn't come as such a shock. Please add your own items you don't need as you see fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	152923  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 19:04   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Bahamas, Things You Don't Need...

Years ago ran into a young couple, been cruising for two months in the Bahamas. Their boat was one of the prototypes for the J24. It looked inside like a prototype, rough as a cob. They had nothing, no engine, no battery, cooler with no ice and small one burner camp stove. They were just sailing in and out of the cuts in the Exumas, having a great time. We invited them for dinner, they were so happy. Looked at a ice drink like it was from haven.

I could see me telling the Admiral we don't need all that stuff and she would say, is the boat setup for singlehanding?
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 19:14   #3

Boat: 1991 Huntingford custom SeaMaid 45’ ketch

Hey, don't blame it on the womenfolk! Bet you're relieved she's holding the line!
Old 28-07-2017, 19:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I could see me telling the Admiral we don't need all that stuff and she would say, is the boat setup for singlehanding?
Well, good on the Admiral for not needing you to go cruising in the Bahamas with her!

Just kidding. I wouldn't take my wife cruising on a J24. Frankly I think that idea is a bit ridiculous and the mention of it silly. I'm not advocating for deprivation.

That said, my wife had a great time and we had like two of the items on the above list of things you don't need, a big battery bank and refrigeration.

Ice cubes for rum drinks are nice to have but you know what? You can buy ice, so don't need those things and can still have ice in your drink and a great time.

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 20:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-marie View Post
Hey, don't blame it on the womenfolk! Bet you're relieved she's holding the line!
Having a partner is the only way to cruise, you can't say "did you see that?" I don't cruise by myself. I've fallen overboard twice and wouldn't be here without the crew. Had a friend just go overboard off a boat going 14kts during the past Chicago to Mac race. He was in the water at night for 1-1/2 hour and the only thing that worked was a whistle in the +25kts breeze and a great crew.
Old 28-07-2017, 20:08   #6

Boat: Westsail28

Radar is handy when crossing the Gulf Stream.
After checking in not so much.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 20:21   #7

Sorry to get off track.
You don't need a fast RIB with a 20hp
You don't need folding bikes
You don't need kayaks and SUPs
You don't need WiFi
You don't need a gold fishing reel
You don't need a buddy boat
You don't need schedules
and you don't need to hurry

But I do need my cold beer.
Old 28-07-2017, 20:30   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Some times it's about comfort for old folks, and having fun. I'd go so far as to say you don't need any of those things to circumnavigate, but I and my Lady want those things, cause they make life easier and more enjoyable.

On land, you don't need running water, hot water, electricity, an automobile, a smart phone, TV, internet connection, air conditioning, but I bet all of us have or had those things
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 20:42   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

things you don't need:

A list of things you don't need...

Jim
Old 28-07-2017, 21:54   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Internet Chat Rooms....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 04:40   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
things you don't need:

A list of things you don't need...

Jim
or a list of things you don't want
Old 29-07-2017, 05:04   #12

Boat: Leopard 39

Creature comforts aside, I think that our desire to be as safe as possible has inspired in most cruisers a bucket list of want$ that greatly exceed genuine needs, especially where coastal cruising is concerned. I'm guilty of wanting to be comfortable; but I appreciate anecdotal accounts of young people enjoying cruising in a bare-bones 24 footer because it reminds me of how I once was, and what it's really all about: being there as a part of the natural world, and reveling in the fact.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 06:52   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

When I was much younger I used to want to travel across the US on a bicycle, never did it because I was married and love don't feed the baby.

However now I could, but would never consider it, now that I am older and like my comforts the idea of being completely sustained on whatever I could carry on a bicycle is insane. I don't know if I am just lazy now that I'm older and out of shape, or if it's they way people change mentally as they age. I saw my Father change, I used to think that I was going to hate getting older cause I would no longer be able to do physically what I could then, but as I have aged and lost abilities, I find that you lose the desire along with the capabilities, usually.
I do miss running though, I was a very good runner, I sometimes dream of running and hearing the wind in my ears and feel it in my hair etc
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 07:08   #14

In France on the canals ran into an older couple biking from Ireland to the end of Italy. No backup support, just the 30 kg of gear they were carrying and having a good time. I couldn't do it.
Old 29-07-2017, 07:11   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

What's the point?

We need only two things: food and water.

All the rest are comfort items. To be comfortable, I want radar, chain, windlass, big battery bank, ice maker (some would argue essential), dinghy and motor sufficient to plane the boat loaded, etc..
It's not survival camping.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas