Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 14:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
Bahamas... May vs June?

Ok...

Planning first time for 2-3 weeks in the Bahamas sailing down from St Augustine on on our Irwin 43...next spring/summer.

We can go either a) mid-Apr to mid-May or b) mid-May to mid-June. Which would be better based on typical Bahamian weather (for now, forget about hurricanes).

Thanks
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:47   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Bahamas... May vs June?

April and May the best. Any later starts getting too hot and then a big H can come thru.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 18:56   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450

From another perspective I would say May to June. Water starts to to get nice and warm. I also try to leave a week before the full moon so a 14 day trip has pretty good moonlite. But this time of season one should be prepped, planned and prepared to get the heck out of the way. Sometimes you can possibly get trapped in the Bahamas if you need to get out of the way. But summer seas are mostly flat, warm and fun. I'll be there.
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 23:17   #4

Boat: Hanse 531

We went last year both in June (3rd-) and December.

June was a bit tougher because the heat and humidity really made everything a bit harder. The daytime sun sometimes felt a bit unforgiving (hard to be completely covered in sunscreen) and sleeping in 25+ degrees was a bit sweaty

It's quite bearable, though, and I would go again in June any time!

Looking at historical weather, June has more rain than both May and July. We had some as well, but it was really quite refreshing.

Most of the tropical storms (if any) arrive in the fall, so the hurricane risk in June was very much downplayed by the charter company. Their boats were fully booked through summer so I guess their customers agree.

So, a wonderful place from April to June, I'd say, but the weather actually might be somewhat more inhabitable in April-May. You're not chartering but if you would, their discounts usually start from June
Old 03-04-2019, 05:08   #5
Marine Service Provider

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:09   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423

The Bahamas is a big place. If you are staying North, Abacos - Eleuthera, later is probably slightly more enjoyable. But either should be fine. you might check some historical buoy data to get an idea of what weather windows crossing over are like. You will probably want to take a day or two to get south before crossing over. Good news is you have lots of time to plan. You will love it.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 51' Beneteau

In 2016 I spent May through September. I worked for Seabase training boy scouts to sail on my training boat Crown Royal a Beneteau 51. We only had air conditioning one night a week. And found it fine most days a nice breeze daily. The later in summer the more jellyfish are around by the end of August they were very thick. I would say June would be best.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:31   #8

April or May should be fine. April would be my selection. By May the Thimbles are in the water everywhere. (small jellyfish the size of a thimble)
2-3 weeks fro St Augustine isn't going to be much time but travel time though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:49   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

In 2017, I went over April 23, and came back May 20; this year I'm going May 3 if the weather cooperates. From a weather window standpoint for crossing, slightly later is better. In 2017, the first three weeks of April were no good. May was fine in the Abacos, in my opinion.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:15   #10

Boat: Pearson

april, may, wfw.. wait for weather
Old 03-04-2019, 09:19   #11

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Over a century of measurements, June would be a little warmer and more humid than May. During an individual visit, I think there is no real difference between May and June, although you may have slightly more wind in May. Just go. Bahamas is (are) a fantastic place at any time of the year. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Sail boats maybe April or May due to more winds and moderate ( 3 ft or higher) not so much a problem. Us power baiters like to wait till closer to June as June is the least windy of all the months.
Flatter seas at a must for us.
It is true that June is hotter. But not by much. Certainly nothing compared to August or September ( the worst).

All depends on your priorities and preferences.
Quieter and smoother in June.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58   #13

Boat: Leopard 45

I just got back from an 8 day sail mid March in the Abacos sailing from Marsh Harbor to Powel Caye. Weather was in the high 70s in the day to high 60s at night and the water was around 75 degrees. I would have preferred going a month later (April or May) for warmer water, but all in all it was a terrific sail. I think June would start to get uncomfortably humid and warm.
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:26   #14
Marine Service Provider

I know we’re splitting hairs a bit here...buts thanks for the input!
Old 04-04-2019, 06:06   #15

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Weather is no longer as reliable as in the past. If staying north June, if headed further south May. The main fleet of snow birds starts leaving around April 1st so things will be less crowded. However the center console crowd starts appearing as soon as school is out.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas