Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 14:48   #1

Boat: Dufour 40
Bahamas for beginners.

Hi,

We are planning to cruise up from Puerto Rico to Eastern U.S., leaving in a couple of weeks and needing to be north of Cape Hatteras by June 1st for insurance purposes. The plan is to call in at Turks and Caicos and make a couple of stops in the Bahamas, before routing offshore (to avoid coastal counter current) to, probably, Charleston, and then coast hop.

I realize that there is a lifetime of cruising to be had in the Bahamas but would appreciate advice on where to go to get the best from our limited time including a good place to wait for a weather for heading north.

We are a U.K. registered monohull, with 5 ft draft and only 2 on board, so long routings through challenging shallows will be avoided. We definitely prefer isolated anchorages to busy marinas, though we will need to clear in and out.

I think that we have adequate charts (paper and electronic) but a recommendation for a cruising guide that focuses more on navigation than shopping and eating would also be appreciated.

Any help gratefully received.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 14:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Bahamas for beginners.

A hundred different safe anchorages in the Sea of Abaco to wait for weather. The Steve Dodge Guide to Cruising the Abacos is probably the best. We just left the Abacos a few days ago. Got a couple of hundred photos of what you can expect on Sharons Photo Log
Old 02-04-2017, 15:23   #3

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

I would also make my let stop in the Abacos.
Wait for your weather window and enter gulf stream NW of the Little Bahama Bank.
A couple of nice stops along the way might be Clarence Town, Long Island.
Conception, maybe Spanish Wells and enter the Sea of Abaco at either Little Harbor or North Man o War
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 18:10   #4

Boat: Dean 365

I'd plan to spend at least a couple weeks in the Bahamas. For a 40 foot boat, it is going to cost you $300 to check in, so make the most of it.

I'd say to check in in George Town, Great Exuma which has a decent grocery store and free water).

Head north up the Exuma Sound and enter the bank wherever you want. If you wait till the inlet between Cave Cay and Musha Cay (or one farther north) a 5 foot draft can easily continue on the bank all the way. There are a thousand anchorages as long as the wind stays in the east- which is usual that time of year. You can choose whether you want to anchor with others or not.

If you prefer, you can skip this (don't though) and sail all the way up the very deep Exuma Sound, either overnight or entering a cut for an anchorage.

If you, continue north on the bank, I'd recommend skipping Nassau. Instead, go through Fleeming Channel between New Providence and Eleuthera. Head up to the Abacos and enter through Little Harbor or North Bar Channel.

If you decide to skip the Exumas (don't) you can daysail up the inside of Eleuthera (I haven't been there in 30 years, so can't comment) then to the Abacos or leave Eleuthra to port and sail outside to the Abacos.

Stay on the bank and stop at Marsh Harbor if you need to stock up for the final leg.

Checking out is easy in either Green Turtle (in New Providence) or Spanish Cay. Marsh Harbor Customs is a pain to get to. Then exit for the Charleston leg via the Whale Cay Cut or the cut between Umbrella and Moraine Cays respectively.

5 foot draft is easy in the Bahamas. Usually, we tell people with 6 or 7 foot drafts that they can do it, but may not be able to get in everywhere. The charts and the guides are very good. You will be nervous at first, because you haven't sailed in shallow water in a while (maybe never). You will get used to it quickly. If you touch bottom, it is almost always in sand.

It is pretty easy to get decent weather forecasts in the Exumas and Abacos. There are cruiser nets each morning and people around (locals and cruisers) to ask if you miss them.

It is less than 500 miles from the Abacos to Charleston, so you can afford to stay in the Bahamas until the middle of May pretty comfortably. Hurricanes are very rare this early this far north. Once you get to the States, you are out of the Caribbean in more ways than one. Don't hurry through the Bahamas. I don't think - like many people do - that they are the best cruising ground in the world, but they are in the running.

Good luck.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 18:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

This is our first season here. We came down the Abacos, worked outlet way down to San Salvadore, then to Georgetown. We left Shroud Cay and ran across the banks through the Flemming channel and then continued to Little Harbor coming in last night around 2am.

We liked Green Turtle, and Man O War cay in the Abacos. Spanish Wells in Eluthra is very different and interesting. The lady at the museum there gave us a wonderful talk, most enlightening. Cat Island was interesting because it is so undeveloped and it is covered with ruins. I would skip San Savadore unless you really want to do it, then watch your weather very closely. Georgetown was OK, better if you like a lot of social life.

We need to run to Georgia but will likely re-enter somewhere in Florida. I think we will probably check out in Green Turtle.

As for other sights running across the Exuma Bank was interesting in a bright calm day. Once is enough. Cat Island has its own charm, if you like to see what a dying society looks like. Eluthra had some interesting caves, wild cows and goats, the glass window and Spanish Wells. By then you may need a bit resocialization and the Abacos for that bill.

We are a 44" steel center cockpit designed by Alan Pape if that rings a bell. 6-1/2' draft. We have been OK mostly. We can't go everywhere, but enough.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:01   #6

Boat: Dufour 40

Hey,

what a wonderful set of people you are! What was an impenetrable forest yesterday now has a path through it and my planning chart has a wavy pencil line:
Check in at Clarence Town. Day hops to Conception and back down to George Town. Enter at Galliot Cut. Dawdle up Exumas, swinging round white bank to exit through Flemming channel. Enter Abacos at Man of War channel, pausing to provision at Marsh Harbour. Check out at Spanish Cay and pick my time to exit through Moraine Cay channel. (Please let me know if any of that sounds wrong).

A lot of detailed planning still, but at least I have an idea where to start.

Thanks to all.

Lionel
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Spanish Cay is nice but don't miss Manjack, dozens of turtles in clear shallow water, awesome snorkeling with them or walk the shallows with the stingrays rubbing against your ankles.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:57   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

It would also be a travesty to miss Warderick Wells. To this day it still stands as the #1 most beautiful spot I have seen on planet earth!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you make it to San Salvador, there is some really excellent wall diving there. Some of the best I have ever dove, and it won't be crowded, no cattle boats, just you and a couple of others is all.
This is where to dive
Bahamas dive resort for scuba diving walls, big game fishing San Salvador island
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:05   #10

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Travellerw,

Help I am unfamiliar with and can't find a Warderick Wells. Please give me a hint.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Travellerw,

Help I am unfamiliar with and can't find a Warderick Wells. Please give me a hint.
Start at Georgetown and work North. It's about half way up. Below Ship Channel, below Shriud Cay. It's in the Land and Sea Park
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:59   #12

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I aso prefer more isolated anchorages. Here's some of the isolated anchorages, I've hit when doing that route:

Turks and Caicos:

Sandy Cay

Southern Bahamas and Exumas:

West Plana
Attwood Harbour, Acklins
Little Harbour, Long Island.
Jack's Bay, Great Guana, Exumas
Little Cistern (Exumas)
Allen's (You'll see people, but fun to see Iguanas) I often anchor to east and have it to myself.

Places I often have to myself in the Abacos - bottom to top.

Spencer's Bight
Deep Sea Cay - nice beach, dinghy the creek.
Water Cay, north of Marsh Harbour
Spoil Cay - many day visitors, few stay the night.
Whale Cay - Many go around it, few stop behind it.
No Name - Okay beach, Pigs. Day visitors from Green Turtle.
Manjack, northern two bays. Trails and long ocean side beach.
Powell - 50-50 on having it to myself. Big anchorage however.
Fish Cays - middle. Has small beach.
Joe and Jack's in Carter's Cay group - rarely visited, not straight forward.
Stranger's

New Plymouth is probably my favorite small town in the Abacos, Staniel Cay in the Exumas.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:10   #13

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I find the exumas much better holding than the Abacos...the exumas is mostly a sand bottom with good holding......I found alot of grass in the Abacos, which makes anchoring a bit tricky....however there are alot more mooring balls and marinas in the Abacos if you want to spend money...

in either the Abacos or exumas....the wind seams to clock around alot and can often blow 20 to 30 for a few days...so good ground tackle will make your stay pleasant......and leave lots of room between boats for an easy escape
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:13   #14

Sorry to semi-hijack the thread, but I've never checked out of Bahamas when returning to the USA. Haven't had any issues...
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:53   #15

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Two musts: Warderick Wells in the central Exumas, and Manjack Cay in the Abacos (just north of Green Turtle Cay.) I've spent a lot of time cruising in the Bahamas, and these are my two favorite stops. You'll be fine at 5'. I just spent two months in the Exumas at 6.5' and had no issues.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas