Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-07-2013, 06:43   #16

Boat: R.WOODS 36ft CATAMARAN
Re: Bahamas Fees

it may be a "rip Off" to you but its bread and butter to them

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
it may be a "rip Off" to you but its bread and butter to them
Its not bread and butter to anyone. Its goes into the government coffers.

Bread and butter is what humans eat and that comes from cruisers spending money in local businesses and local services, local tourist ventures, local fishing trips, local fish at the markets.

Thats what bread and butter is: Money so people can survive. And they dont get any of that $300 or $400!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57   #18

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya BobConnie! I wouldn't mind it at all, if the fees collected are used in improving moorings, WiFi availability and marinas infrastructure; very little of that is happening.

Mauritz
Why would the government of the Bahamas use their money for that? Those are all privately owned enterprises. The problem with those things is that in the Bahamas, no one that owns businesses believes in reinvesting their profits, plan and simple. We have one marina here that where they are doing demolition by neglect, haven't put a penny back in in years . . .

The other issue concerns the weekenders, especially the fishing "fleets" that show up in Bimini, West End, Chub and even Nassau. They are all loaded up with all their food and drinks when they get here. Most don't spend a nickel outside of marina fees (if they don't anchor). They do, however, fish out the waters, get drunk beyond normal, and then pull out on Sunday. This is the target, I believe, not the cruisers. For powerboaters, Nassau, Chub and Bimini are day trips from the Florida coast.

Less than 10 years ago, an entire fleet of diving boats ran out of Miami. They would come into Bimini each week and give their customers a "port night" there that was a real boost to the economy. Due to all of the regulations by the Coast Guard, most of them crap about "homeland security", the operations moved to Nassau, and the Bimini's income went with it. Now the port nights are usually in Nassau. Just an observation.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23   #19

Boat: 38' French Cat

We were there 30 days ago, $300. for over 30' ,,,,,$150.00 under 30' unless you check in where we did >)))
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51   #20

Boat: Sabre 38 mkII

Well, the majority of cruisers visiting the Bahamas are from the USA, those from elsewhere are largely there for some larger period than "somewhere to hole up for a couple of days on the way to the USA"

I don't think you can compare the Caribbean to the Bahamas at all.. they are so very different...in fact I think there are almost no similarities.

Have sailed the Caribbean quite a bit but the Bahamas has vast uncharted areas, the VPR, countless Cays, low key lifestyle..somewhere like Ilse de Sante would be a metropolis in the Bahamas...and not to mention that the water visibility makes the Tobago Keys look like dishwater..

whereabouts in Grenada are you?..I know it pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Theres one other point...
The Bahamas are nice, and all.... but for international cruisers i.e. not from the USA or Canada, but for cruisers from the rest of the world coming up from the Caribbean to the USA, the Bahamas has been a nice stopping off point... but the real deal, the big target is the USA so if the price is this high an International cruiser will get much more value getting to the USA and spending the extra $400 there.

After doing the Caribbean the Bahamas are not unique.

And $400 in the USA buys a LOT compared to Europe, the Caribbean or anywhere else.
Old 01-07-2013, 14:02   #21

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"

$600 for a mooring in Florida, up to $2000 per month for a slip in KW and there are complaints about $400 for SIX months of carefree cruising with anchoring priviledges wherever and whenever. It does not compute.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:36   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
It does not compute.
Nor does your ability to see the other side of the story.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:41   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Sometimes I wonder about folks ! Most of us have a boat that costs at least 100,000 bucks or more and some of us complain about less then 500 bucks to use them in tropical waters for 6 mos?? Seems like thats what my old daddy called cuttin off your nose to spite your face !! LOL Heck I guess yall will have to go to Mexico, no big entery fee, but a much longer trip both ways and they speak spanish not english !! LOL O well it's cheaperLOL

Most of us? Really? You guys are slumming with me! I paid $12k.
Old 01-07-2013, 15:01   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
$600 for a mooring in Florida, up to $2000 per month for a slip in KW and there are complaints about $400 for SIX months of carefree cruising with anchoring priviledges wherever and whenever. It does not compute.
One problem is not everyone can take advantage of that six month permit. My last trip I only had a week and paid the $300 fee so that was almost $43 per day.

Made sense because I took a bunch of friends over for diving and we split the costs. If it was just me and the wife don't think I would spend the money for a week. Definitely not if it goes up to $400 or more.

A cheaper permit for a shorter stay might encourage more visitors.
Old 01-07-2013, 15:18   #25

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but one that the "$300 is actually cheap" crowd doesn't seem to have considered is that many times I would like to go over to the Bahamas (I sail from Miami), just for kicks, for a day or two, and I don't because I don't want to pay $300. Last time I looked at the back of a cruising permit (February), I seem to recall that it was a single re-entry within 90 days (maybe I'm wrong). On a sailboat, if you actually travel under sail, you may not get another crossing window that coincides with your free time within 90 days. So it makes for a pretty expensive trip, and not only do "they" not get the $300, they don't get dollars for nights at a marina, restaurants, and my usual staggeringly large liquor tab...

Having said that, I really do like going there, and wish I could (afford to) go more often. pete

Edit: Skipmac posted while I was writing (hi Skipmac!), and I agree, if you have a bunch of people on board splitting it up, no problem. I am usually single-handed or maybe one other person. And a short, single-entry permit would seem to make sense, but it seems doubtful that making sense was the intention of these fees. pete
Old 01-07-2013, 15:49   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
These are all relative choices. I cruise Florida and pay little for moorings,- maybe $50/year on moorings and no more than $560/month for a slip and I have free anchoring rights almost everywhere at no charge. I used to spend more money in the Bahamas when the entry fee was $20. I still go back to the Bahamas sometimes, but no longer for a few days. I always have the option of paying $2000/month for a slip, but why would I do that when less crowded and more beautiful places charge about 30% of that cost. Then, I've lived in Florida since the early fifties and I know of the tourist rip-offs.
Old 01-07-2013, 16:51   #27
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I guess the moral is, if you aren't staying awhile don't stop. heck you probably hadn't been underway all that long.
Old 01-07-2013, 17:04   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Or just throw up the flag and drop the hook for a few days in amongst other boats.
Old 01-07-2013, 18:36   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
These are all relative choices. I cruise Florida and pay little for moorings,- maybe $50/year on moorings and no more than $560/month for a slip and I have free anchoring rights almost everywhere at no charge. I used to spend more money in the Bahamas when the entry fee was $20. I still go back to the Bahamas sometimes, but no longer for a few days. I always have the option of paying $2000/month for a slip, but why would I do that when less crowded and more beautiful places charge about 30% of that cost. Then, I've lived in Florida since the early fifties and I know of the tourist rip-offs.
Another excellent point. I would never pay $2000/month for a slip. Well maybe if that included hot and cold running maids and catered meals with wine

I mean Key West is cool but not that cool. I'm looking at slips in N FL in the range of $400/month for a 42' boat. Not sure what a mooring would cost.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44   #30

If it's such a good idea, why not charge every plane that comes to the Bahamas the same fee? Private aircraft take a lot more infrastructre to maintan than private yachts.

I love the Bahamas. But, their government is as third world as it gets.

Tags
Bahamas, fees

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: