Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 02:21   #1

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Bad Weather in Sydney - Yachts on Beach

Over this past weekend we have had very strong winds (52+ knots) from the south, the worst direction normally. At least three yachts I know of broke their moorings and ended up on the beach. Two were in Botany Bay, south of Sydney Harbour. These were at Frenchmans Bay and I have attached photos of them. Both seem to have no apparent damage but are still high and dry, one of them three days after grounding. One seems to have had its bollard totally break away from the hull/deck, the other the two mooring lines appear to have broken.

Another one ended up on the beach next to Manly Ferry Wharf in Sydney Harbour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	170984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	170985  

clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:21   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bad Weather in Sydney - Yachts on Beach

Sad pictures, Michael.

Ann
Old 03-06-2018, 15:54   #3

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

thats how most people do mooring maintenance in syd.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 23:51   #4

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Problem at Frenchmans Bay is that it is very shallow, less than three metres. Boats from here always end up on the beach, I suspect that main reason is the mooring line from the block is so short, one big swell can cause the boat to break the line. Same thing happened last year at Bundeena in Port Hacking when huge NE swell caused havoc. I certainly would not want a permanent mooring in either place.

And yes, maintenance is a problem in Sydney. It took us 15 months to find someone to inspect our mooring in Port Hacking, we had to try so many different companies to get one to actually do it (we will be there next month, four months later, still waiting!).
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:59   #5

Wow, that's bizarre (the weather). I live out near Parramatta and the southerlies here haven't been strong at all. According to my weather data, max has been around 30km/h.
Many years ago, I used to spend holidays with my grandparents and visit Botany Bay quite often and I do recall the sea state during strong southerlies. I thought it might have changed a lot since they dredged so much of the bay some years ago.
Ok, it's been MANY years since I have been to the bay....time flies when you get old(er).
Bradwithnoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Over this past weekend we have had very strong winds (52+ knots) from the south, the worst direction normally. At least three yachts I know of broke their moorings and ended up on the beach. Two were in Botany Bay, south of Sydney Harbour. These were at Frenchmans Bay and I have attached photos of them. Both seem to have no apparent damage but are still high and dry, one of them three days after grounding. One seems to have had its bollard totally break away from the hull/deck, the other the two mooring lines appear to have broken.

Another one ended up on the beach next to Manly Ferry Wharf in Sydney Harbour.
Sad to see the grace omalley (second photo) in such a state it has had a good run in the Sydney to Hobart
Tempcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:48   #7

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Problem at Frenchmans Bay is that it is very shallow, less than three metres. Boats from here always end up on the beach, I suspect that main reason is the mooring line from the block is so short, one big swell can cause the boat to break the line. Same thing happened last year at Bundeena in Port Hacking when huge NE swell caused havoc. I certainly would not want a permanent mooring in either place.

And yes, maintenance is a problem in Sydney. It took us 15 months to find someone to inspect our mooring in Port Hacking, we had to try so many different companies to get one to actually do it (we will be there next month, four months later, still waiting!).
Can ya do it yaself mate?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney, weather, yacht