Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2015, 18:34   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Bad Knee

I too have one bad knee. Then again I too have the other one.

I am getting the vision. In my book it is "can be done without". Also because I have sailing friends one of them with bad legs (ex Polio) one with two bad knees (80 y.o., and sailed rtw like this) and one without knees.

Take good care of your bones while they last. They are better than the alternatives.

b.

Old 16-03-2015, 06:42   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sailorboy,

I heartily endorse going to an orthopedic rehab for the first few days post surgery: I think the enforced twice a day physical therapy will help

Ann
The other thing here is to do some
"Pre-Hab" that is to try and get some surgery specific exercises to do
Before Surgery. Being just a bit stronger before makes a huge
difference in recovery. Also going to a rehab facility instead of going home
Is key. At the place I went to They Insisted that I take pain meds before
each twice daily therapy sessions. They knew from years of experience that
A pain free patient could participate more fully in their recovery
Don't be a hero or tough guy, take the pain meds and you will
Rehab faster.
I walked out in a week with just a cane after a total hip replacement
Lost the cane a week later and never looked back

Old 16-03-2015, 06:58   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Just had the cartilage in my right knee shaved. walked out 3 hours after surgery, no cane. took a couple of aspirins the next morning otherwise nothing.

I apparently had a small abcess under the knee that released some fluid into my muscle. That hurt like hell for the first week or so - but the knee is fine (so is the muscle now)
Old 16-03-2015, 08:16   #94
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Having day surgery Friday.

At the moment my knee hurts less than my elbow, but I know that is a trick and that the knee has plans to catch up as the day goes on.
Old 16-03-2015, 10:56   #95

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Most of you here who are moaning about your knees have it pretty easy in my book.

I've been living with bad knees for about 48 years and I just turned 50 last month. I have bad knees because of Arthritis. Whist treatment these days means I don't get the swelling in the joints so much, over the years I've lost more and more bending in the knees. Now I'm lucky if I can bend them through 80 degrees.

I used to be able to ride sports-tourer motorcycles and kept on having to upgrade my bikes to newer ones with more legroom. I had a BMW & then two Ducati's, and due to the deterioration of my knees, I'll never ride a Ducati again. Now I can't even comfortably ride a bicycle.

When looking for boats, I needed to choose one with enough legroom in the head so I can sit down without the door open and a cabin top that I can climb on to. Luckily my Jeanneau ticked all of the right boxes and I can get around it ok, even if I might sometimes look like a peglegged pirate.

In case I was having it too easy, last year I managed to trip when getting onboard in the marina and broke my left knee. Anyone one who has remotely the normal amount of bending in their knees probably wouldn't have hurt themselves one bit from the same fall.

I normally only mention knees as a problem, but my arthritis affects my hips and many other joints as well. Even if I could still bend my knees enough for my old bikes, my hips make getting on a huge struggle. An if like when I broke my knee, I have to stop my arthritis treatment, then the hips eventually create the most excruciating pain and prevent me from sleeping. To dampen the pain I had to take Oxycodone which I found to my amusement was very popular with prescription abuse druggies.

Anyway, I refuse to let these problems stop me from sailing solo and I'm certainly not going to give into fear of breaking a knee again (I have considered adding the knee brace from the break to my first aid kit just in case)

I've stopped work in Sweden and will sell up and become a full time sailor for the next year or two. Sadly, one think that screws up planning for this time, is that the medicine I take to keep myself active and away from the hip pain. It is an injection that I must give myself every 2-4 weeks and must be refrigerated. I can at best stock up on 4 to 6 months supply of it, if I am lucky and to restock I must fly back to Sweden. In the med this will be fine, but it makes it difficult for me to decide to sail back to Australia, where I will probably move once I'm ready to return to the real world
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10259046_10152047424876074_4535768372191531729_o.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	98944  
Old 17-03-2015, 00:17   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Most of you here who are moaning about your knees have it pretty easy in my book.

I've been living with bad knees for about 48 years and I just turned 50 last month. I have bad knees because of Arthritis. Whist treatment these days means I don't get the swelling in the joints so much, over the years I've lost more and more bending in the knees. Now I'm lucky if I can bend them through 80 degrees.

I used to be able to ride sports-tourer motorcycles and kept on having to upgrade my bikes to newer ones with more legroom. I had a BMW & then two Ducati's, and due to the deterioration of my knees, I'll never ride a Ducati again. Now I can't even comfortably ride a bicycle.

When looking for boats, I needed to choose one with enough legroom in the head so I can sit down without the door open and a cabin top that I can climb on to. Luckily my Jeanneau ticked all of the right boxes and I can get around it ok, even if I might sometimes look like a peglegged pirate.

In case I was having it too easy, last year I managed to trip when getting onboard in the marina and broke my left knee. Anyone one who has remotely the normal amount of bending in their knees probably wouldn't have hurt themselves one bit from the same fall.

I normally only mention knees as a problem, but my arthritis affects my hips and many other joints as well. Even if I could still bend my knees enough for my old bikes, my hips make getting on a huge struggle. An if like when I broke my knee, I have to stop my arthritis treatment, then the hips eventually create the most excruciating pain and prevent me from sleeping. To dampen the pain I had to take Oxycodone which I found to my amusement was very popular with prescription abuse druggies.

Anyway, I refuse to let these problems stop me from sailing solo and I'm certainly not going to give into fear of breaking a knee again (I have considered adding the knee brace from the break to my first aid kit just in case)

I've stopped work in Sweden and will sell up and become a full time sailor for the next year or two. Sadly, one think that screws up planning for this time, is that the medicine I take to keep myself active and away from the hip pain. It is an injection that I must give myself every 2-4 weeks and must be refrigerated. I can at best stock up on 4 to 6 months supply of it, if I am lucky and to restock I must fly back to Sweden. In the med this will be fine, but it makes it difficult for me to decide to sail back to Australia, where I will probably move once I'm ready to return to the real world
Hoppy - none of my business I guess, but why don't you get a knee and a hip replacement? In Sweden these would be free, so it can't be the cost and these operations are so routine these days that there is little downside risk to them
Old 17-03-2015, 01:23   #97

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hoppy - none of my business I guess, but why don't you get a knee and a hip replacement? In Sweden these would be free, so it can't be the cost and these operations are so routine these days that there is little downside risk to them
If hoppy's in the US and not covered by Medicare, it would be egregiously expensive. To say nothing of the pain during the recovery phase. Not everybody's up for that; they'd rather deal with the pain they have than the pain they fear.

A.
Old 17-03-2015, 02:30   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
When ever I have mentioned it, they tend to say "too young".

I am lucky in one way, the drug treatments which are mostly working mean that I don't have pain normally and the simple things in day to day life are not affected.

Whilst the operations would be free, they would have cost me a fortune in lost income which is a mental barrier than can be hard to cross. Now that I am finished with work I dont have that issue but I'd rather be preparing my life in Sweden for sale so I can go sailing

Anyway, unless I replace the 2 hips as well as my 2 knees, then I'm likely to still need my injections.

On the plus side, over the 15 years I've live in Sweden and planned my exit options, sailing has been the only exit plan that included me travelling with a fridge and a way to keep it running I could not see myself backpacking the americas or an extended MotorCycle road trip and carrying a fridge for my drugs
Old 17-03-2015, 15:10   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

And I thought the pic was of your knee.
Old 17-03-2015, 15:14   #100

Boat: Leopard 40

Rather than a TKR like my left knee, I am looking for my right knee into clinical trials for this procedure.
First NUsurface® Meniscus Implant implanted in the US for early Knee Osteoarthritis | Reuters
Old 17-03-2015, 15:25   #101
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Rather than a TKR like my left knee, I am looking for my right knee into clinical trials for this procedure.
First NUsurface® Meniscus Implant implanted in the US for early Knee Osteoarthritis | Reuters
If it sounds good for your condition why not just go to europe where it already is approved and get someone experienced doing it to do yours? Why be the training site?
Old 17-03-2015, 15:44   #102
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Bad Knee

Hoppy.. try this.. if you havn't already..
1/4 cup organic Tumeric
1 cup Coconut milk
3 Tablespoons Coconut oil
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh ground Black Pepper.
Heat oil in pan on gentle heat till warm, add the tumeric and mix well and cook for 5mins on low heat.. then add the black pepper.. if it starts drying add a little coconut milk to keep it moist.. when 'cooked' gradually add the rest of the coconut milk stirring all the time. Remove from heat and allow to cool then pour into airtight jar and store in the fridge.. it'll keep upto 3 weeks.
Once a day add 2 tablespoons to plain yoghurt and sweeten with honey to taste if needed.. or can use in cooking Thai stir fry.. curries.. ordinary milk and cereals.. or any other way you fancy.. fruit blends etc.
The black pepper might sound odd but its needed to get the tumeric past your liver and into your stomach which is the heart of your immune system.. its not a cure.. but many find it very effective relief.
PS: the root itself is better.. if you can find a Chinese herbalist in Sweden.. ask in a Chinese restaurant.. they'll know if there is..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 15:47   #103
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To say nothing of the pain during the recovery phase. Not everybody's up for that; they'd rather deal with the pain they have than the pain they fear. A.
agree .. already went thru a scope and not up for anything more than that. then there is the spectre of things not improving as much as you thought after the joint replacement surgery. guess it depends on how crippled you are at the moment.
Old 17-03-2015, 15:50   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
And I thought the pic was of your knee.
It was, but from an unplanned knee break last easter. It happened 5 minutes after arriving to my boat for the first time 2015 and after being away from it 6 months.
Old 17-03-2015, 16:30   #105

Boat: Roberts 25

HI Guys...

I had a total knee replacement 18mths ago and am just starting to come good now... Strangely enough getting back on the boat and my motorbike were the best things for me as they forced me to bend it and to use it... I have a lot of scar tissue as the knee has been operated on in a serious manner about 8 times over my 60 years and the scar tissue is the biggest problem going forward...
I agree with other comments that suggested that you should not wait... get it done and get on with your cruising... with the right strengthening exercises it WILL eventually come good... and if your legs are in generally good condition, you won't have an issue with scar tissue as I did..

I am looking forward to getting away on the boat more often and I don't give a damn about my knee... I just deal with it and manage my movement so that it doesn't stop me from clambering all over the boat or doing what I love doing... sailing...

Hows this for compact... all glued and not a screw anywhere... Just do it..

Good Luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: