Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 15:04   #16
cruiser

Re: Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hey Ken, welcome back. Nice boat you've got there...

Rocket Science is in the Gibraltar area until July, so look us up when you get there.

Reserve your slip now if you want to get into Gib, by the way. Availability is tight, from our experience.

TJ
Thanks,

We look forward to meeting you. Where are you off to after Gibraltar? Looks like I’ll be heading to Genoa to pick up some of my stuff and install some Solbian solar while we explore the area.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 15:12   #17

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41

My parents immigrated from the Azores ( island of Terceira), and my Wife was born on the island of Sao Miguel before immigrating with her family.

Needless to, say I’ve been to both islands several times. I know it’s a biased opinion, but I would highly recommend spending some time there. I haven’t been to the other islands ( it’s on the bucket list), but like others, I’ve only heard great things.

On the island of Sao Miguel, use the marina right in the heart of Ponta Delgada ( the big city lol). Sorry, I don’t recall what it’s called, but it should be easy to find on the chart, but watch out for the many cargo ships , fishing boats, cruise ships, and navy ships ( USA and Portuguese) that use the same entrance. Don’t worry, they use the other end of the harbour so they really aren’t an issue once you’re inside.

From there you are walking distance to car rentals, tourist office with all the brochures, and maps you could ever want, coffee shops, banks, restaurants, shops etc. You only need a car if you plan to explore outside the city, otherwise it’s easier and more enjoyable, to walk around. As usual, walk inland a few blocks for cheaper, better, more authentic food.

If you like fresh fish, and like to cook it your self, they have a washing station in the harbour that the fisherman use. It’s a short walk from the marina. Pop in when the boats are arriving and you should have no issue getting some super fresh fish from them for dirt cheap.

Weather in July is hot and sunny. It’s tourist season so it will be busier than usual, but August is even busier. August is when all the towns hold their many festivals (usually religion based). If that’s your thing, you may want to be there in August.

Terceira is smaller than Sao Miguel, but essentially everything I said above applies. Tourism is a high priority on the islands, followed closely by dairy farms. Hit the “ big city” of each island for touristy things, hit the villages for dairy farms and low key, quaint, authentic people.

Very little crime, and very clean streets due to their work for welfare program. They put all the welfare recipients to work, daily, cleaning the streets from one end of the island or the other.

Oh, and your dollar goes a long way on these islands. Buy the local wine, and beer for very inexpensive, and good alcohol. As usual, big city pricing is higher than in the outskirts.

If you enjoy driving, I highly recommend you rent a car and drive around the island (you can do it in a day). Lots of winding country roads with many elevation changes. But keep an eye out for the cows that use the roads to move from pasture to pasture. They don’t fear cars, nor do they move for you. You can have the road back once they’re done with it.

Sorry for the long winded response, hope it helped.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 15:15   #18

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks,

We look forward to meeting you. Where are you off to after Gibraltar? Looks like I’ll be heading to Genoa to pick up some of my stuff and install some Solbian solar while we explore the area.
We're looking at a short stop in the Balearics and then Corsica for our summer fun this year. We decided to head for the Caribbean this winter, so we probably won't venture further E. than that.
Old 02-05-2018, 16:02   #19
cruiser

A treasure of info so far. Thanks so much and keep it coming.

Excellent Morgan!
Old 02-05-2018, 16:04   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
We're looking at a short stop in the Balearics and then Corsica for our summer fun this year. We decided to head for the Caribbean this winter, so we probably won't venture further E. than that.
We will likely bump into you in Corsica or Sardinia. Don’t forget to shoot across and see Elba and the Cinque Terra.
Old 02-05-2018, 16:51   #21

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Spend the most time you can possibly squeeze out of your schedule, even if it means arriving in Italy in autumn. Do NOT rush through the Azores. It is bloody marvellous!
Old 02-05-2018, 16:55   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
welcome back Ken,

We have been to the azores a couple times. Had pretty decent runs across along about 38Nish. a couple gales each time but nothing that would bother that boat.

Boatie has given you the straight scoop on the Azores cruising - terrific islands. We were there one year in time to see the bulls run which was fun.
The bull run was hilarious when I saw it in Angra da Herismo.. half a dozen guys were being chased and nearly caught so thought they'd escape by jumping off the quay into the water..
Got a real shock when it went right in after them..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 17:07   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The bull run was hilarious when I saw it in Angra da Herismo.. half a dozen guys were being chased and nearly caught so thought they'd escape by jumping off the quay into the water..
Got a real shock when it went right in after them..
When is the running of the bulls?
Old 02-05-2018, 17:19   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Azores-Where to Stay, What's to See

Every Sunday May to September.. but its not like the Pamplona run in Spain.. heres a link to give you an idea.. its great fun and the bull is not destined for the ring and a grizzly death to amuse..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenobl...s-in-terceira/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 21:19   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Love the cockpit arrangement! I don't know why more boats don't have this -- they've been around since at least the '70's, on S&S designed Swans. Solves the problem of the short handed sailor with non-sailors in the cockpit -- crawling over them to sail the boat -- ugh! I spent some miles on a Swan 90 with this and absolutely loved it.
The non-sailor area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6B598CC-9852-4D67-8919-4C408B61604D.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	169136  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:02   #26

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

Hi Ken, l have taken the liberty of forwarding your post to good friends of mine who after many years of cruising have settled on the Azores. They berth their boat in one of the marinas.

I am seeing them tomorrow as they are currently in South Africa.

They have also written some articles on the place and should be a great reference.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27   #27
cruiser

Thanks Allan.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:19   #28

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

[QUOTE=Morgan Sailor;2625574]My parents immigrated from the Azores ( island of Terceira), and my Wife was born on the island of Sao Miguel before immigrating with her family.

I just came back from vacationing on Sao Miguel Island and have to say the Azores was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. During our stay I rented a Bavaria 41 and sailed her to Santa Maria Island where they have a great little harbour and great restaurant. The name escapes me but just around the corner is a great sheltered anchorage with sandy beach and good holding. Also great spot for snorkeling. You can stay at the anchorage overnight.

Like everyone has recommended plan on staying some time to explore the islands.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:25   #29

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

While on vacation SVEA was in the Ponta Delgada harbour. Beautiful boat.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/w...17cb_00015.jpg
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04   #30

Boat: Nicholson 35

Hello

I live on Terceira in the central group of the Azores. There are two marinas nere; one in the main town, Angra do Heroismo, which is where I keep Coromandel, the other in Praia da Vitoria. It is possible to anchor in both places.

You could easily spend a couple of months cruising the Azores, because each island is different and each has something to offer. If you look through the archives of Caribbean Compass you will find two articles I wrote about the Azores last year, which includes information on all the islands. They are in the April and May 2017 editions - this is the link for April. http://www.caribbeancompass.com/onli...ass_online.pdf

I would also suggest you get a copy of Anne Hammick's Atlantic Islands Cruising Guide (Imray) which is full of wonderful information about the Azores and the other Atlantic island groups.

Walking is splendid on all the islands (I have visited them all except Corvo and Graciosa) and they are a truly wonderful destination. It is possible to anchor outside most of the marinas, but since berths are not expensive (at least compared with the Caribbean or the Mediterranean) you may well chose a marina. Be aware that the Ocean Cruising Club is hosting a rally in Horta on Faial to celebrate 100 years of Peter's Cafe Sport between about 15-25 June and at least 50 OCC boats will be there, so you would do well to avoid Horta at that time.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers

Linda
Coromandel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores