Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2014, 10:40   #136
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Having a BBQ is only one step below having a stereo in the cockpit, makes you fat, and is storm bait. Wait, are you the one who was playing AC/DC at 0300 hours at Conception Island?
Salted monkey meat cooked on a BBQ grill is just a Dirty Deed to die for!
Old 22-03-2014, 10:47   #137
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

SaltyMonkey's lips a smackin'…gonna grab some Bananah BBQ sauce and coconut rub!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 11:31   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

dunno about monkey meat,i have eaten fruit bat that must be a distant relative.......

but when in horta after your atlantic crossing there is a great butcher a street back from mid atlantic yacht services,half way to the produce market that sells delicious local beef steak @E 4.50 a kilo.........

otherwise the Horizonte hypermarket 1km from the center of town is great for stocking up,at prices only slightly higher than mainland prices.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 11:41   #139
cruiser

marinattid sailor boy ribs n-bad either on smoker
Old 22-03-2014, 12:16   #140
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
nice one!
and just if you were unaware i will add that it is possible to stop in tangiers inside the main port if faced with strong easterlies through the straights of gibraltar.

easy entry, continue all the way into the port untill you get to the fishing harbour,the yacht club is top right hand side and has a few berths,or tie alongside any of the many fishing vessels.

formalities can be done at the yacht club that has showers and bar/restaurant,security is good inside the port,just a little dirty.
Tangiers sounds like it's a having a bit of work done at the moment...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...orocco-Tangier

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 12:28   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Tangiers sounds like it's a having a bit of work done at the moment...

Cruising in Morocco: Tangier

it is still a safe haven in an easterly if you are unable to motor into 40 knot winds!,though don't expect club med!
Old 22-03-2014, 12:35   #142
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
it is still a safe haven in an easterly if you are unable to motor into 40 knot winds!,though don't expect club med!
Yeah, sailed in there a while ago, but if there are no berths can you anchor? Didn't think the Moroccans were keen on that. From Azores I'd probably head for Barbate to wait out an easterly.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 12:58   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Yeah, sailed in there a while ago, but if there are no berths can you anchor? Didn't think the Moroccans were keen on that. From Azores I'd probably head for Barbate to wait out an easterly.

why would you anchor?
just tie up to any of the 1000 fishing boats there,always space for at least 100 yachts seeking refuge.

rafting up is probably something that should be discussed in more detail on this thread,as most yachts arriving in the horta will be obliged to raft up on the outer wall when they arrive,as the marina will most likely be full.

last time i was there with my yacht,being the biggest vessel 63 ft on the inside,against the wall,i had a raft of 8 yachts hanging off me!
Old 22-03-2014, 14:26   #144

Boat: Catalina 470

Ben,
I'm not sure I understand your timing....perhaps a language issue, but NO worries!!
We WILL figure this out...

I understand you are planning on crossing the Atlantic from the Cape Verde Islands to the Caribbean...
But, I'm confused about WHEN you plan to leave the Cape Verde Islands and actually cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean...
Please confirm WHEN you are planning on crossing the Atlantic, is it in May/June??? Or is May/June when you are leaving Biscay???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
My hope is to start my sail direction Caribbean in may/june 2015.
The rough idea is to cross Biscay, coast-hop Portugal to Morocco, then further down to Gambia and up the Gambia river. Then backtrack back to open water, to the Cape Verdes and make the crossing from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
...perhaps I should have been a little more clear about what I meant bij "crossing". I'm starting my crossing the the Caribbean in the Cape Verdes. The stop in the Azores will be for on the way back.

My reason for commenting here even though its a thread centered around the Azores was because it's a slightly altered "milk run" route that would take most sailors through the Azores before making the big leap.
If you are planning a May/June East-to-West crossing....please note that this is not the usual/normal time to do so...
It is very do-able, but is unusual...as most do not wish to be cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season (June 1st thru Nov 30th)....

But, May/June is certainly before the start of the "Cape Verde" season, starting in late July or August....(this is the part of the hurricane season, where tropical storms / hurricanes form from lows/tropical waves that come off Africa near the Cape Verde Islands)...

The winds for a May/June, Cape Verde-to-Caribbean crossing will be mostly about 15kts....:
-- Mostly N and NE in/near the Cape Verde's...
-- Then mostly NE, after leaving the Cape Verde area...
-- Then some more E to NE, as you pass the halfway mark (about 45*W - 40*W)

And, you'd have a slight favorable current the whole way...typically 1/2kt or less...

BUT...

But, you should be ready for convection, squalls, etc. the whole way across...
(I love flying a spinnaker, even at night.....but would NOT recommend doing so on this May/June crossing, unless you can see the weather, ad are prepared for rapidly developing squalls...)
Keep an eye out for any convection coming off Africa, and here is where the big picture of a full-ocean satellite image can be of great help!! (transmitted a couple times a day by the USCG / NWS/NOAA....)

I hope this helps...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 15:01   #145

Yoshi,
Kangei...Welcome!!

There are 3 primary routes....
But, understand that which ever route you might choose, you will sail the route that the winds allow you to sail!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshiwakao View Post
We will cruise to Azores from Newport on this June. Wow northan rute!
I could get many info.
Does anybody have an advice please let me know!
Also if somebody plan to go Azores this May or June, please contact me. Exchange info at sea.
The 3 primary routes are:
a) the New England - Azores "delivery" / "racer" route...
b) the "cruiser's route"...
c) the "southern route".....
(but of course there are variations / combinations of all three!!)

a) The "delivery" route is...
Leaving Newport heading south of Nantucket, and then the Great Circle path to the Azores....it's about 1900nm from Nantucket to Horta, and can have plenty of STRONG winds and big seas....

b) The "cruiser's" route (also the most common route) is....
Leave Newport on a favorable offshore forecast...
Head SE from Newport, until you are SOUTH of 40*N and east of 70*W (typically 38*N to 39*N, and until wind/sea forecasts allow a comfortable ride to the Azores)....
Then turn Easterly, and head for the Azores, keeping an eye on the weather forecasts...
Sometimes following the tail end of the Gulf Stream along...

c) The "southern" route is similar to the "cruiser's" route, but you head further south and southeast, before turning easterly...
And, here again sometimes following the tail end of the Gulf Stream along...

Those choosing "b" or "c" will usually have a nicer crossing....

I hope this helps..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 22-03-2014, 15:10   #146

Kalinka,
What you describe are WEST-to-EAST, not "E to W"...
But, I agree with you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
I've done 3 crossings E to W each one different only one was to the Acores two were from Newfoundland 1 direct to France and the last direct to Ireland. I agree mostly with what has been said here. But I think the most important thing to watch out for is Fatigue! If your not well rested then even little things can quickly become major ones. what works for us is my wife does the night shifts as she can sleep anytime or anywhere. where as I have a really hard time sleeping during the day.
So do whatever works for you But don't get over tired!
Getting enough REAL sleep is important!!!

And, having a flexible captain and watch schedule can be VERY effective...
I'm like your wife...in that I love night watches, and I can sleep anytime, and others like mornings, etc..
So, talking bluntly BEFORE you leave may allow everyone to get the watches that they prefer and everyone ends up well rested and happy!!

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 22-03-2014, 15:30   #147

Yeah, rafting up in Horta is normal...and while many UK and European sailors do not take off their shoes, most of us American sailors DO when transiting the decks of other people's boats...

This might be part of our "barefoot" culture, and some might find it odd....but at least I don't track city dirt and grime across other's boats...
Quote:
rafting up is probably something that should be discussed in more detail on this thread,as most yachts arriving in the horta will be obliged to raft up on the outer wall when they arrive,as the marina will most likely be full.
But, I did cause a bit of a stir, when using the stern grill there in the Horta marina...
(we were the outside of only 3 boats in the raft and no other rafts / nobody else, nearby....so there was no danger...but we did have some guys running down the wall yelling in Portuguese until they saw us flipping the big steaks over on the grill, and then they were laughing and asking to join us!!!)

Those of you heading to Europe for the first time, other things to understand/remember:

--- Med Mooring...
--- Paserelles...

--- Difference between cooking gas tanks / fittings...
--- Difference between Propane (LP) and Butane ("gas")...

--- Difference of shore power...UK/EU 230vac (220-240volts) single-phase vs. US 120vac single-phase / 240vac dual-phase...
(and different shore power plugs/cords)

--- Differences in water hose spigots / fittings, between US and UK/EU....

--- Differences in cellular/mobile phones...

--- Currency, Banking, etc...

--- Etc, Etc, Etc...

I'll try to elaborate more, if there is some interest...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 22-03-2014, 15:36   #148
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
(we were the outside of only 3 boats in the raft and no other rafts / nobody else, nearby....so there was no danger...but we did have some guys running down the wall yelling in Portuguese until they saw us flipping the big steaks over on the grill, and then they were laughing and asking to join us!!!)
The new port captain devil would have fined you. Thats another reason for no BBQ's.
Old 22-03-2014, 16:08   #149

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The new port captain devil would have fined you. Thats another reason for no BBQ's.
Wrong again, Monkey! That's another reason not to go to that place.

Jim (who uses his gas grill a lot, and has never burned up his or another's boat)
Old 22-03-2014, 17:32   #150

Boat: a sailing boat

But off course BBQ is fine and I do not mind the smoke at all! Who cares I am a vegetarian and dislike the smell of burning flesh. And please take your dogs and cats along: I do love their barking thru the nights and their piss on my deck. And DO NOT switch your AirX by any means: we all know it is silent. You just did not hear when your doc told you that you were already half deaf back in 1968!

I hope the crossing will not be too harsh this year. Take off early June. Direct route.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores