Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-03-2015, 09:09   #226
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Hard getting time off for 2-3months in a go.. plus he'd likely lose more in earnings than he's paying me over that time..
We are the sensible choice for many even if they do ask the question 'Delivery Crews.. are they worth Paying..'

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 11:24   #227

Boat: Various
Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
well its that time of year again!, with boats preparing to start the crossing in the next month or so.

I'm wondering how many yachts lost will be this years toll,i lost count after 8 last year.
hopefully this year will be kinder.
I see a responsibility for all experienced sailors and for this forum. I say sailors because the vast majority of these lost boats are sailboats, mostly 50' or under.

The word of caution to others we talk to I think should be, "just because you can do it, just because it has been done before, doesn't mean you should do it." Because Boatman crosses back and forth, doesn't mean a beginner should. Because we read about someone with no experience in a very small sailboat circumnavigating doesn't mean it was safe or wise. Newcomers come to this site and those of you with experience for advice. Sometimes we get carried away saying "go for your dream, don't let anything stop you." I do believe in going for dreams, but I believe in preparing as well. It's not just ocean crossing. I see sailors rescued off Hatteras in conditions where none of the professional fishermen who know that area and are out daily left shore. People force journeys sometimes in spite of lack of weather windows adequate. They proceed without the experience, equipment, boat needed. In enthusiasm sometimes others don't adequately caution them or tell them what it would be best for the to do first. If they choose to ignore all warnings, then there's nothing one can do.

I ask this of you experienced sailors, because as power boaters, generally sailors are not going to listen to us or heed any warnings or advice. They'll point out the successes, ignore the lost boats, or make excuses regarding them. We do intend to cross one day but it will be in an adequate boat and with good crew. Ours will be under power. While maybe some of the casualties are exceptional bad luck, I believe we make most of our luck through preparation. When I read the story of someone crossing, or just out on the water in general, i do look at the things they did especially well that I might learn from, the problems they had that I might learn from, and those things I consider ill advised and might learn from.

Wifey B: Falstaff's motto: The Better Part of Valor is Discretion.

Old 27-03-2015, 11:40   #228

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've said it before over the years and I'll say it again..
I'm not here to teach anyone anything.. if I say something its because its what 'I've' done and the results.. good and bad..
My Way is not the Right Way..
but then its not quite the Wrong Way either.. it works for me..
There's lots much better than me out there who can do it the 'Right Way' to do the teaching..
I'm here to provide the occasional gem hidden amongst my brain fartz.. and.. have a laugh
Read BelowVVVVVVVV

Born To Be Wild
Old 27-03-2015, 12:25   #229

Boat: Westerly W-35 (Latterly sold as Conway 36 Aft Cockpit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
If the boat was well-found, the owner would do it himself.
It's my boat Crab, and it is well found. I'm a single father who cannot leave his son alone for a two month period. Do you always jump to conclusions without any knowledge?

Paul
Old 27-03-2015, 12:44   #230

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[ if I say something its because its what 'I've' done and the results.. good and bad..
My Way is not the Right Way..
but then its not quite the Wrong Way either.. it works for me.]
I was using your name only to give an example of someone with many years of experience. And you do teach whether you intend to or not. I've also never seen you suggest someone else copy you or that the way you do it is right for others. You're, in fact, very cautious in that regard as reflected by your response.

Whether right or wrong, I'd feel relatively safe crossing with you, but I wouldn't dare to attempt any of your journeys on my own.

And we all value your humor.

Guess we're deranged too as we'd rather sing Dean Martin songs than emulate his drinking.

Wifey B: Took me awhile to figure out the VVVVVVVVV's were supposed to be arrows....
Old 27-03-2015, 13:04   #231

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
It's my boat Crab, and it is well found. I'm a single father who cannot leave his son alone for a two month period. Do you always jump to conclusions without any knowledge?

Paul

Well, dang, I don't always jump to conclusions! But when I do, it's always without any knowledge. Sheesh.
Old 27-03-2015, 13:07   #232

Boat: Westerly W-35 (Latterly sold as Conway 36 Aft Cockpit)

Quote:
Well, dang, I don't always jump to conclusions! But when I do, it's always without any knowledge. Sheesh.
No worries Crab, we all do sometimes.
Old 27-03-2015, 13:08   #233
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

not so , many people are just afraid of the ocean
Old 27-03-2015, 13:12   #234

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I was using your name only to give an example of someone with many years of experience. And you do teach whether you intend to or not. I've also never seen you suggest someone else copy you or that the way you do it is right for others. You're, in fact, very cautious in that regard as reflected by your response.

Whether right or wrong, I'd feel relatively safe crossing with you, but I wouldn't dare to attempt any of your journeys on my own.

And we all value your humor.

Guess we're deranged too as we'd rather sing Dean Martin songs than emulate his drinking.

Wifey B: Took me awhile to figure out the VVVVVVVVV's were supposed to be arrows....
Thanks for the confidence BandB.. appreciated..
Just thought I'd chuck it out there again.. been a few months now and I don't want any of the 'Outa de Closet Lurkers' to confuse me as some kinda 'Boat Guru'..
That would definitely be 'The Boat to Hell..'
Many do the same but with much less noise..

Born To Be Wild
Old 27-03-2015, 14:34   #235
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

If past weather has any bearing on future weather. IF.

We are experiencing very cold spring in the Canaries and last winter was the coldest on a long record. It was also the gloomiest with plenty of overcast.

The above could imply fewer tropical and post tropical systems (colder water) but perhaps (???) at the same time the chance of extra tropical depressions gets higher. (???) Perhaps not.

I think it is the extra tropical thing that gets most boats on this passage.

I think perhaps another factor is most sailors opting for the Bermuda route, placing their boats very close to the center of passing depressions.

We will see how things develop this year now. It is April and I think this is as early as they go. Esp. the biggish Med charter fleet.

b.
Old 27-03-2015, 18:14   #236

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Funny enough all the boats I've done for CF members have been of a pretty good standard in the main..
but now and then a card I've left on a notice board somewhere brings a job thats a gamble..
Atoll's been on board one of my 50/50's... a little mechaniking..
Maybe he'll let us know how it'd stand up to CF standards for the trip from Cork to E. Spain..

Born To Be Wild
Old 28-03-2015, 04:09   #237
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Funny enough all the boats I've done for CF members have been of a pretty good standard in the main..
but now and then a card I've left on a notice board somewhere brings a job thats a gamble..
Maybe he'll let us know how it'd stand up to CF standards for the trip from Cork to E. Spain..
comment boatman!.....great little engine,pity about every thing else attached to it!
that includes hull,keel,deck,and possibly the crew

interesting statistic of last years losses was that cheeki rafiki, a jeaneau 45,and "blue waters2182" beneteau oceanis 44? were both catastrophic failures of relatively new boats both sinking or capsizing within minutes.

moral; check those batteries on the epirb,have a plan,and know how to use your safety equipment,you may only have minutes to learn
Old 28-03-2015, 04:43   #238
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

some chilling videos from blue pearl sinking aka "bluewaters 2182"

Old 28-03-2015, 04:47   #239
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

link to the thread here fyi

The Blue Pearl Sinking

Old 28-03-2015, 04:50   #240

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:

Good deal. I was just going for a chuckle when I insulted Pillum inadvertently. In the back of my mind was the boat you took to Oz, and the big cat with issues to Spain. I'd expect more from CFers. We all read the forum for the experiences of guys that are really out there like you and Atoll. Many thanks gents.

Tags
Azores

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: