Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 22:27   #1

Send a message via AIM to fujiwara takumi Send a message via Yahoo to fujiwara takumi
average mileage for a day...

if all goes well and life is good how far do you think you could get in a pleasant day of sailing, mileage wise.

i know there are a million variables, but for example, outside of variables in a nice day of driving i might cover 300 miles, but in a LONG hard day of driving I could cover 1000.
fujiwara takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:39   #2

Talking Well, lessee.

Sailboat does about 5-6 miles per hour. On a coastal cruise from point to point , sunrise to sunset,figure 50 or 70 miles. Ocean cruisers, from what I can gather, aim for 100 miles per day . Nascar this ain't ! As an aside , most places of haborage on the US side of the Great Lakes are placed about 15 miles apart. This means you can travel as little, or as much as you want .
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 00:50   #3

It's not the quantity but the quality. The best part is switching of the engine and letting the wind do the work for you. When on a passage, I allow an average speed of 5-6 knots(6-7 mph). If it is a lovely day and I don't have to be anywhere, it is blissful just to switch of the engine and float along through the water at 1-2 knots, going with the tide that's about 10-15 miles in 5 hours. There is no stress and I feel at one with the world. A book I have just read said that 'sailing is the slowest form of transport that is enjoyed by man'.
walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:08   #4

Over 3 years of cruising, we averaged four knots.

100 miles for 24 hours of sailing. 70 nautical miles is a long day of sailing.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
?

Which raises the question of how Tenknots came by his screen name.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 19:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
In some ways this is another 'how long is a piece of string?' type of question. We have been getting a lot of those lately.

Much of this depends on the boat, the skipper, the passage and your goals. Historically a 100 miles a day was a good turn of speed. More modern cruising designs are quite a bit faster. For example a sistership of my 38 foot boat was single-handed to the Caribbean from South Africa a couple years ago. She averaged 175 miles a day for the first ten days and 160 miles a day over the whole trip which included passing through the duldums.

Coastal cruising, I found that a 30 or 40 mile day was a very long day on my prior boat (a 28 footer) but is not all that bad on my 38 footer. By the same token I often would cruise with a friend who had a more traditionally designed 30 footer and he considered 20 miles a long day coastal cruising.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:49   #7

Alas, ten knots is the fastest I've ever gone under wind power. If I could get a ride on a friend's racing cat, I'd have to change my screen name.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:57   #8

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Daily run

To echo what Jeff said, the longer baot is going to do the miles easier. Our 29 foot LOA boat will do 6 knots on the wind, 7 1/2 on a reach and more on a broad reach and run. These are sustained speeds not bursts. But for cruising it has to do this on its own while the crew attends to other things. To limit the amount of tippy and have the boat tend itself we may have to slow down and thats where the 100 mile days come from. A larger heavy boat may not do much better especially in light winds. But a longer moderate displacement boat with a sensible fin keel is able to keep the speed up and tend to itself better, so 150 mile days seems appropriate. To answer the original question, plan on 100 mile days for boats up to 30 and heavy boats, and 150 mile days for sensible boats 36 to 40 feet. In ideal conditions add to both totals.
BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:59   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Ten knots

Try and get a ride on a Hobie 18 or similar. Twenty plus knots is realistic. It is worth it. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 14:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
OR even better, get a ride on one of the big girls down in the Southern Ocean, where they clock off 500- 600 miles a day. Now that would be something. Although I would expect many of us would turn a shade of grey faster.
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:26   #11

Send a message via AIM to fujiwara takumi Send a message via Yahoo to fujiwara takumi
when im curious about distance i go to maps.yahoo.com and punch in the zips. It has only distance information for driving on a street though...is there such a thing for water distance, without looking at a paper map? i just like to estimate things.
fujiwara takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:30   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Try this one, it will give ya the great circle distance between any 2 points on earth....

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=T...avy&MAP-STYLE=
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 09:04   #13

Boat: Lagoon 37
we average 5 knts on our 37' cat, so an average of 60 miles is a relatively easy day sail
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 19:33   #14

5 knots in a CAT....

It's about time someone admitted they don't spend hours cruising around in double digits in their cat. I was getting a complex thinking of the 5 knots we usually see in our prout.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 19:55   #15

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
...but I'm hopeful...

I know what you are saying, Exposure, but I am still hopeful that I can average 7 plus from Saint John to Bermuda in November in my Tobago 35. How long does one want to live in a storm suit while the boat grows frost on all surfaces?

With the money I am throwing at new sails and a folding prop, I am very hopeful...
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote