Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 19:58   #1

Australia to Hawaii

Outside chance it will be st8 thru the canal on to either the Caribbean or a stopover in Oahu for temporary slippage.

I looked at the official passages site which is basically three condensed routes one of which sucks IMO. Most of the rest I've read is take offs of that with local knowledge and recommendations.

Looks like the best way for me is north to the Aleutians and then a broad reach to Oahu. I'll probably stop in Japan and maybe Qingdao for a visit or three.

I looked at the Southern Ocean or those high latitudes near it and got scared plus I don't want to buy the survival gear; yes the northern route is cold water but no icebergs and not as cold.

If I do this and go the northern route when can I start working East; at what latitude?

Should I just go the straight way to the canal? Not much fuel to play with and it won't point extremely well although decent.

I'm sure to be asked but I'm looking at two boats. One is a 57 Beneteau and the other is a 460 Dolphin; yeah pretty different boats but both can be single handed some and the Beneteau easily with a crew of two.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 00:53   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: Australia to Hawaii

What you need to do is find something different to smoke.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 01:40   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Cruis.../dp/1408158884
Old 24-12-2017, 07:25   #4

Wow, a very brave man.

I have done some thousands of miles to windward in the Pacific trades, but nowhere near close hauled. Believe me the pacific is very badly named. It most definitely not peaceful. About a couple of days a month is all I could ever handle.

I've also spent a fair bit of time between 10 south & 10 north. it is hot, but not that bad. It is often pretty light winds, but quite often fair sailing in gentle conditions. If I was silly enough to try your trip, I think I'd rather the doldrums than any other route.

I once read the story of a sailing ship with a cargo of coal to take from Newcastle NSW [east coast], to Adelaide South Australia. They tried north but could not make it westward across the top. They tried south, but could not beat to westward into the roaring 40s. They then went east, down wind around the Horn & arrived in Adelaide from the west, over 600 days out of Newcastle.

Some passages are not really practical under sail.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:26   #5

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 24-12-2017, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Looked at that online. Basically three routes. The one north by Japan is doable just very long. But I can make some stops. My wife is PRC and we have good friends in Tokyo (if they have time for us). Not many Dolphins for sale so you have to get them when you can and where they are. So I don't understand the smart aleck answer.

If I go st8 to the canal then the southern route makes sense. Just sounds tough esp for a sailor without a huge amount of experience. Still have to work to the canal. I don't know that route. Is it into the wind or can I reach say out of Tahiti.
Old 24-12-2017, 12:08   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another CF member, "Sapient Sue", has made the trip from Hobart, TAS, via Cook Straits to HI., on the way to AK. One can also take the equatorial route from AUS, and get to HI, often with a Fiji stop. "mikem", another member here, has made that trip, but in a larger vessel than you contemplate.

I think you'd find the trip from Aus to the Canal dead upwind the whole way, and with little countercurrent to help you. Also, it would be quite a long haul.

With no intention to offend, I'd heartily recommend you get some sea miles under your belt before considering this trip seriously.

Not sure what PRC means relative to your wife, but if she doesn't have any sea miles, either, and if you plan to go together, you'll want to devote some thought about how you're going to help make it fun for her, too.

Ann
Old 24-12-2017, 12:40   #8

Take a look at Australia to the Marshall Islands, I have not sailed that route either way so I don't have a clue because we sailed from Fiji to the Marshalls and I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up. The route home was Marshalls to Midway and Midway to Vancouver however it's just as easy to sail Midway to Southern California and then down to the canal which is very easy coastal sailing once you get there. I guess lots depends on the amount of time you have. If I had lots of time I'd sail from Midway to Alaska and then coastal hop down to BC. before heading south to Panama. I'm really curious what's driving you to want to make this sail if your in a sharing mood today. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:50   #9

Quote Ann: Not sure what PRC means.

Peoples Republic of China. She must be a Chinese National so they may be able to stop of at Qingdao in the PRC.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 13:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote Ann: Not sure what PRC means.

Peoples Republic of China. She must be a Chinese National so they may be able to stop of at Qingdao in the PRC.
See my Mom. She's 96. Beautiful marina there. Easy access.
Old 24-12-2017, 13:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Another CF member, "Sapient Sue", has made the trip from Hobart, TAS, via Cook Straits to HI., on the way to AK. One can also take the equatorial route from AUS, and get to HI, often with a Fiji stop. "mikem", another member here, has made that trip, but in a larger vessel than you contemplate.

I think you'd find the trip from Aus to the Canal dead upwind the whole way, and with little countercurrent to help you. Also, it would be quite a long haul.

With no intention to offend, I'd heartily recommend you get some sea miles under your belt before considering this trip seriously.

Not sure what PRC means relative to your wife, but if she doesn't have any sea miles, either, and if you plan to go together, you'll want to devote some thought about how you're going to help make it fun for her, too.

Ann
I'll have to sail locally to get experience on the boat. She's sailed enough but same applies to her as well. Thanks for the kind response.
Old 24-12-2017, 13:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Take a look at Australia to the Marshall Islands, I have not sailed that route either way so I don't have a clue because we sailed from Fiji to the Marshalls and I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up. The route home was Marshalls to Midway and Midway to Vancouver however it's just as easy to sail Midway to Southern California and then down to the canal which is very easy coastal sailing once you get there. I guess lots depends on the amount of time you have. If I had lots of time I'd sail from Midway to Alaska and then coastal hop down to BC. before heading south to Panama. I'm really curious what's driving you to want to make this sail if your in a sharing mood today. R
I can pick the boat up or hire someone to deliver it. I haven't bought it yet. I have an older child with wife who is talking sailing with us which means a bigger boat and that's likely in the US. We live HI more than East Coast or China but East Coast is ready port for us.

For just wife and I, I love this Dolphin which has in-boom furling and electric winch. Easy for us older folks.
Old 24-12-2017, 13:58   #13

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
I can pick the boat up or hire someone to deliver it. I haven't bought it yet. I have an older child with wife who is talking sailing with us which means a bigger boat and that's likely in the US. We live HI more than East Coast or China but East Coast is ready port for us.

For just wife and I, I love this Dolphin which has in-boom furling and electric winch. Easy for us older folks.

Out of interest, what's stopping you going Westabout to thr Caribbean? You could take one of a multitude of routes across to SA, and then have a pretty decent sail from Namibia across to Brazil and up that way.. might end up quicker than working against the prevailing winds and currents the whole way.

Even of you go via Hilo, the usual route (in season) would still see you going NE to the NorCal/Oregon coast and heading south all the way to Panama...
Old 26-12-2017, 11:55   #14

Boat: Whitby 55

Many Aussy boats sail up to Tonga in the winter time, so then to Somoa and on up, maybe doing a lot of easting at the equator. Not an easy route but doable. I ran into a boat going east from Somoa to Bora Bora when I was in route from Bora Bora to Tonga. Once again, not easy but doable.

Many others will sail from Australia to Tahiti, riding the tops of the low pressures giving them a run east and that is the route I would take. It is a close hauled from Tahiti to HI according to those I have talked to who have made the trip. Rough but doable.

However, if your true goal is to get to the east coast, then go west young man
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Many Aussy boats sail up to Tonga in the winter time, so then to Somoa and on up, maybe doing a lot of easting at the equator. Not an easy route but doable. I ran into a boat going east from Somoa to Bora Bora when I was in route from Bora Bora to Tonga. Once again, not easy but doable.

Many others will sail from Australia to Tahiti, riding the tops of the low pressures giving them a run east and that is the route I would take. It is a close hauled from Tahiti to HI according to those I have talked to who have made the trip. Rough but doable.

However, if your true goal is to get to the east coast, then go west young man
Thought about that. Wife is afraid of pirates. Not sure how real that is. Around the Horn or thru the canal into the Med?

Tags
Australia, hawaii