Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 23:53   #16
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Re: Australia Day Beer Special

I find it entertaining to watch Australian mates get together on Friday at 4pm for a night of drinking by the beach with a flat of beer "each"...and that is just to get started. In order to get proper pissed, that requires at least two flats. Which is mind bending for most Sepos to consider.

The Five Stages of Properly Pissed
August 27, 2005 9:56 pm
By Bok Tukalo

Stage 1. Cheers!: This is the initial stage where you are out to have a bit of fun and maybe a little mischief. You are enjoying yourself and the world is a plaything; aren’t you the luckiest guy ever, or what? Time to socialize, check out the girls, and laugh at your friends’ wit.

The Knack is probably playing or maybe Beck.

Stage 2. Professor Buzzed: The good cheer is waning and now it is time to stretch your limited intellect and engage in (for you, anyway) deep conversations about things … and stuff. Usually, it is things and stuff you know nothing about or just enough about to sound like a complete ass but does that stop you? No. Not you. You have an opinion and you are going to express it at the very time when you have purposely impared your reasoning capabilities. Odd that alcohol would simultaneously dull your wit and boost your confidence. Perhaps the two are related in some way.

REM or old Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing or Making Movies; not that “Money for Nothing” ****) is playing.

Stage 3. I Love You, Man: You are now unusually fond of everyone. Even those individuals you normally consider to be pricks. You hang on them and incoherently list all the reasons that they are so special to you. If your friends are at any other stage in the properly pissed process, this is when you really start to annoy them; especially Professor Buzzed who is trying to make a point about collective bargaining in a monopolized industry while you have your arm around his neck telling him how cool it was that he didn’t get mad when you screwed his sister. This is also the stage when the designated driver starts thinking that giving up drinking alltogether might not be such a bad idea.

Hank Williams and Marty Robbins are playing and you are looking for the Patsy Cline CD.

Stage 4. Old Yeller: This is when all that fear, anger, jealousy, hurt, humiliation, loss, sadness, loneliness, regret, and all those other emotions real men keep bottled up realizes that the guard took the night off around Stage 3 and bursts out of its jail and grabs the brain reigns. Some exhibit this differently. Alot become destructive and violent. Mindless rage and accusation and frustration. Personally, I get melancholy and sit in a corner, tears in my eyes, telling anyone that will listen about a sweet, innocent little girl I knew in kindergarten that I would hold hands with under the reading table, who by high school had turned to drugs and booze and promiscuity and died in a car crash on the way home from the prom when her drunken boyfriend tried to beat a train to the crossing.

Doesn’t matter what is playing. It means something to you.

Stage 5. Last Call: The Beast has been released. He has done his damage and crawled back into his cell again, spent, and Apathy has taken over. You are incapable of carrying on a conversation now. You understand the words and can form a cogent response, but really, what’s the point? You couldn’t give a rat’s ass if the president of the United States walked up and told you the future of the nation depended on you giving a rat’s ass and pleaded with you to turn over to the proper authorities all your rats’ asses. You see the four aspirin and the bottle of Deja Blue on the nightstand you placed there to blunt the inevitable hangover but cannot muster the concern for your own comfort beyond head-meets-pillow.

Nothing is playing but there is a ringing in your ears and the hated heartbeat is laying down a base line.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 00:08   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes… a natural topic.
As a teenage Scott, living in Alberta, I used to drink “Calgary Stock Ale”, which was around 14-16% alcohol.

Must have given a few people some wild memories cause a beer label is now worth $20
| eBay
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 00:22   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

In 65 years I have never got to stage three. Now, don't get me wrong, I have talked fluent left handed braille, and staggered off with plaited legs, but I have never got to the stage of loving my best mate, or a stranger, unless female, and starting from a base of being quite silly, just get the giggles rather than emotional or violent.

Nowadays, stop very early, cannot stand the headaches and seediness anymore.

Coops.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:03   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

FWIW Those Pabst cans are 16 oz so the case price would be more like $20 to $24. It is interesting that Beck's is so much cheaper. A case would be $24 to $30 here.
We do have many exceptional beers here in the states. I like Fat Tire.
For decades Fosters has been running ads that say "Fosters, Australian for beer" but for a long time it has been made in Toronto so we always say, "Fosters, Canadian for beer". Now it's made in Texas. " Fosters, Texan for beer" just doesn't have the right ring to it.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:13   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Coops, you Youngie,

Come to Launceston and try a Cascade Stout or two at the YC! Seriously flavourful.

A.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:16   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cascade is good stuff, no problems there. I said happy birthday to Jim yesterday somewhere on the forum, but he may have missed it.

Coops.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:40   #22

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You guys just live in the wrong country.

San Miguel beer Php 624.00 per case of 24
=US$13..

And that is delivered!!

Buy Beers | SMB Delivers
San Miguel is dreadful stuff. YUK !

Sr Cojuanco cut a deal with the Australian Jockey Club a while back for exclusive rights. Thankfully for all concerned he also owned Boags. Sales of Boags at the track went off the clock but San Miguel . . . . . er, not so much. Upon expiry the contract was not renewed.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 01:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
FWIW Those Pabst cans are 16 oz so the case price would be more like $20 to $24. It is interesting that Beck's is so much cheaper. A case would be $24 to $30 here.
We do have many exceptional beers here in the states. I like Fat Tire.
For decades Fosters has been running ads that say "Fosters, Australian for beer" but for a long time it has been made in Toronto so we always say, "Fosters, Canadian for beer". Now it's made in Texas. " Fosters, Texan for beer" just doesn't have the right ring to it.

The funny thing is that nobody in Australia drinks Fosters. You might have to visit 20 bars before finding one that stocked it.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:50   #24

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Fosters Australian for beer I always get a kick out of the association of Fosters and Australia but I have never met an Aussie who would admit to drinking it.
Eh Coops as a pommie Aussie how are you enjoying the cricket.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 01:50   #25
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I like Fat Tire.
I had my first Fat Tire when you could only get it in Fort Collins...it took about 10 years before you could get it in California.

I also recall drinking Corona on the beach in San Felipe when you had to return your bottles each day to the bottler in town so they could refill them. We would then walk across the street and buy bags of small bitter limes to slice up and stuff in the bottle to kill the skunk taste and disinfect the edge of the bottle.

I recall being at Petes Beach with UCSD spring break students who had built a line of empty Corona bottles in the sand about a mile long. When the tide started to go out, everyone rushed the bottles and filled boxes to take back into the town of San Filipe for the nights refills. It took another 15 years before you could buy Corona in California. Now you can buy it in Australia and most people don't know the story and purpose of the limes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corona-bottle.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	74253  
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 01:51   #26

You're obviously quicker on the keyboard Savoir
Old 19-01-2014, 01:56   #27

Happens when you turn the cricket off. Watching Pommies cry is so distressing.
Old 19-01-2014, 01:59   #28

Yep I'm sitting in the lounge sort of watching the cricket while surfing with the a ipad
Old 19-01-2014, 03:18   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think Cricket is fantastic. She was the honey in 77 Sunset Strip. Only cricket that I am interested in anyway, totally boring sport, and I like sports. Correct by the way, have not seen Fosters in years.

Coops.
Old 19-01-2014, 03:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
I had my first Fat Tire when you could only get it in Fort Collins...it took about 10 years before you could get it in California.

I also recall drinking Corona on the beach in San Felipe when you had to return your bottles each day to the bottler in town so they could refill them. We would then walk across the street and buy bags of small bitter limes to slice up and stuff in the bottle to kill the skunk taste and disinfect the edge of the bottle.

I recall being at Petes Beach with UCSD spring break students who had built a line of empty Corona bottles in the sand about a mile long. When the tide started to go out, everyone rushed the bottles and filled boxes to take back into the town of San Filipe for the nights refills. It took another 15 years before you could buy Corona in California. Now you can buy it in Australia and most people don't know the story and purpose of the limes.

I only have one Corona story, so here goes.

My first sighting of Corona was at Tippler in Aspen in 1988. All the kewl dudes from SoCal were drinking it so who was I to make an obvious fringe dweller of myself by ordering a Miller Genuine ? Being a young and impressionable feller not long out of college I though that trying one might do wonders for my kewl quota, so I did. " Why is the lime there? " I gingerly asked the bartender when no one was looking, already convinced that anyone kewl enough to drink Corona would be fully aware of such things. " To make it taste like something ", he replied.

That was also my last Corona.

Tags
Australia, Beer