Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 12:01   #1

Atlantic or Gulf or Keys to take ASA 101 & 103

My wife and I are planing on taking the ASA 101 & 103 sailing courses this coming February in Florida for our winter holiday. Since we do not live in Florida we have all our options open.
My question is during the month of February is it better to learn on the Atlantic coast or the Gulf coast or the Florida Keys or does it not really matter.

Thank you in advance

spencerj
spencerj1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:08   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
During the month of February, I would go as far south as possible.
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:12   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
spencerj -
I think I'd pick the keys. People assume Florida is always warm, but it's possible to freeze your buns off in February from Tallahassee to Jacksonville. You can also have serious northeasters affecting the Atlantic coast. I've never wintered along the gulf coast so I can't really give you any accurate info there. Anyway, the party will be better in the Conch Republic!
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:13   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
The Keys for sure. The waters nicer, the scenery is nicer and it's more fun on those shore juants in the Keys.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:20   #5

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
The Florida Keys will give you protection from cold fronts on the south or what we call the ocean side. Another vote for warmer as well! I am a little biased though.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 14:24   #6

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
You should really consider looking at prices for the same course work in the British and US Virgin islands. I think you will probably find the cost to be about the same or LESS.

Several year ago a friend and I were going to charter a boat in the Keys as I had done on many occasions. When I got the cost together on a whim I looked at the cost of Charting a boat in the British Virgin Island at about the same time in April.

I was very surprised when I discovered the cost to fly to BVI, cost of the boat and provisions were LESS for a 10 day BVI charter than a 7 day Keys charter.

One note of caution. This can be VERY dangerous! It is habit forming and may result in you buying a boat to keep in the islands.... as I did...
Old 18-08-2009, 16:22   #7

thank you taking the time to reply. It seems that the Keys is hands down choice.
I would like to learn in the B.V.I.'s but we also wanted to spend 2 days at the Miami Sail show also.
From where we live in Canada, it is two stops 7 - 8 hr adventure to get to Florida. Getting to the B.V.I.'s would require a 3rd flt (or 4th) and a ferry which would take too much time getting there with the time we have allowed.
We will have to dream of the Caribbean for another time.

spencerj
spencerj1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa