Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 09:42   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

The question is whether there are sights worth seeing along the AICW? By this I mean historical/cultural sights. Or is it for the most part short hops between small towns that mainly are just a place to eat out in, broken up by a couple of larger cities with more to offer? Kind of like asking whether it is worth doing the ditch for the ditch, or whether you really only do it to avoid going outside.

And between sightseeing stop locations are you pretty much stuck to getting a slip each night or are there anchorages and mooring choices to reduce costs?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:02   #2

Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

Wow, what a question!!!

I've seen you on this forum for a long time.

There's an entire section here on that very subject.

No, you can't anchor out, especially in Florida and Georgia, you must stay at an expensive overpriced marina every night, you have to get up every day to make the bridge openings, those powerboaters are crazy and will kill you, it's too hot, cold, foggy or sunny every day, and once you get to the end you have to come back right away.

And there's nothing to see, 'cuz you have to keep your eyes on the magenta line all day or you'll run aground.

Do you know how dangerous it is, too? Swamps and alligators and bird poop!

And if you get a boat with a shallow enough draft it will be tippy and turn over when the wakes hit you.

You'll have to ask the "Do I stay in the ditch or go outside?" question at least three times.

Oh, and don't forget Scoobert and "How long will it take?"

Nawh, I wouldn't consider it at all...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:20   #3

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Nothing much to see on the Florida portion, apart from a few babes sunning themselves on foredecks and aft couches. Anchoring is a nightmare unless you plan in a few lakes, but you'll need shallow draft for that.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I cannot tell you how far off the ICW these sights or sites are, so that research is up to you or others.

I like art museums, museum ships and maritime museums, and historic architecture (home and forts and buildings). So, I look for those things when traveling.

But, some of the "cultural" and specifically "local" things I enjoyed seeing and/or would see along the Atlantic coast are:

1A. Annapolis
US Naval Academy & Naval Academy Museum
Note: The Naval Academy Museum (focused on US Navy history) is different from the Annapolis Maritime Museum (focused on Chesapeake boating). I visited the Academy, but unfortunately did not have time to see the Naval Academy museum (next time).

1B. Norfolk VA
Hampton Roads Naval Museum, Battleship USS Wisconsin. Look for museum called NAUTICUS.

Here is a link with several museums in VA listed, several of which I would like to see if possible when cruising the ICW in the future.
Virginia Maritime Museums

2. Charleston SC
Just walking the city streets in the Old Quarter is nice.
There is a CSS Hunley museum (the first submarine to sink a ship, American Civil War). The Hunley is on my "to see" list.

3. Beaufort SC
A very nice small town on the water. I enjoyed a carriage tour.

4. Savannah GA
Nice art museum (small but surprisingly nice collection) and walking the waterfront is nice (aimed at tourists with bars and restaurants). There is an old fort (Civil War era) at Tybee Island, and I visited it (a long drive from Savannah) but I did not think it special or worth the effort. The fort in St. Augustine is different (older).

There is a Maritime Museum (Ships of the Sea) that is said to be very nice, and it is just a few blocks (walking distance) from the waterfront. I missed this, but enjoyed the art museum very much.

I also enjoy seeing the typical "Spanish Moss" covered trees (SC) and the egrets and birds that live in the marsh areas and along the water.

5. St. Augustine FL
I enjoyed visiting the old city square and the old Spanish Fort. As the oldest European settled city in North America, it is nice to see if you like history. I like old forts.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:39   #5
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wow, what a question!!!

No, you can't anchor out, especially in Florida and Georgia, you must stay at an expensive overpriced marina every night, you have to get up every day to make the bridge openings, those powerboaters are crazy and will kill you, it's too hot, cold, foggy or sunny every day, and once you get to the end you have to come back right away.

And there's nothing to see, 'cuz you have to keep your eyes on the magenta line all day or you'll run aground.

And if you get a boat with a shallow enough draft it will be tippy and turn over when the wakes hit you.

You'll have to ask the "Do I stay in the ditch or go outside?" question at least three times.

What a flippant useless response.

Yes I've been on this site a while, so what? If I had seen the answer I would know it and unlike most did a site search before asking and spent a couple of hours of web research on the topic prior.

Just what would some people do if they couldn't sit around looking for opportunities to be so helpful on the internet? But I'm sure your very helpful response will become among the reasons why this thread just swirls down the drain.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:55   #6

Lots of fun stuff.... many noted above...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:01   #7

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wow, what a question!!!

Lol.. that's the funniest sh@! I've seen all day..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23   #8
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Don't miss Fernandina. Check out Florida's oldest bar, The Palace Saloon. It was built in 1878, and became a saloon in 1903, and was an ice cream parlor during prohibition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beverly in palace saloon, fernandina beach.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	98453

Name:	palace saloon restrooms.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	98455

Plenty of very old historic buildings here. This is the post office, built in 1910.

Name:	Fernandina Beach fountain and post office.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	98454

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:29   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

You gotta love St. Augustine.

Name:	lion statue on bridge of lions.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	98457

Name:	costumed soldier.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	98460

Name:	firing canon.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	98461

Name:	Bridge of Lions opening.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	98462

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:33   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The question is whether there are sights worth seeing along the AICW? By this I mean historical/cultural sights. Or is it for the most part short hops between small towns that mainly are just a place to eat out in, broken up by a couple of larger cities with more to offer? Kind of like asking whether it is worth doing the ditch for the ditch, or whether you really only do it to avoid going outside.

And between sightseeing stop locations are you pretty much stuck to getting a slip each night or are there anchorages and mooring choices to reduce costs?
I suggest you buy one or more of the guide books and read and look at the pictures. Make your own decision on whether you think it's worthwhile to take the AICW or not.

Thousands of boaters take the AICW each year so it must have some appeal. Others go outside, apparently to get to their final destination more quickly.

For us, the AICW and its towns and scenery are the destination.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:40   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I suggest you buy one or more of the guide books and read and look at the pictures. Make your own decision on whether you think it's worthwhile to take the AICW or not. Maybe after I can decide it is worth having another book. Currently it isn't looking worth it.

For us, the AICW and its towns and scenery are the destination.so what where some of there that make it the destination?
what use is the internet if all you get is "buy a book"
Old 07-03-2015, 12:47   #12

Quote:
what use is the internet if all you get is "buy a book"
I was only trying to help you by suggesting a resource. If you don't like my suggestion, you can just ignore it and move on. There's no need for a reply.

I have several of the books and I find them very useful. They present all the information in one convenient place. They present a consistent view and don't get off track and don't insult the reader.

The Internet hasn't replaced printed publications yet.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:50   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

The Internet hasn't replaced printed publications yet.
Well then since there are lots and like most guide books not all are going to be good, at least recommend the one you like.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:55   #14

Quote:
Well then since there are lots and like most guide books not all are going to be good, at least recommend the one you like.
http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipsto...x.php?cPath=21
Old 07-03-2015, 13:02   #15

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Pick up some of the late Claiborne Young's cruising guides. Claiborne like to include the history and surrounding sights in his guides.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water