Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 08:42   #61

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is that like "I know the answer, but aren't going to tell and just wanted to post that useful info"?
I guess it did sound that way and I guess I should apologize to the OP.
It's just that sometimes I just kinda resent someone asking questions here that they could easily find answers for themselves. I have no problem with helping other people with boat questions and problems (in fact I rather enjoy doing it when I can be of help), but I usually expect other people (esp. people as independant as a boater should be) to try to work problems out for themselves before calling for help.
Yes, I could give him an answer, but it would require several pages and everything that I had to say could be easily found on the web
Besides, the answers that he would get to his question from me and most of the rest of us will be mostly personal opinions that when he gets there he may find that he doesn't agree with.

To the OP - I apologize for my unhelpful reply.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 24-03-2015, 09:05   #62

It's a wild guess.... but I'm thinking there are more sights on the waterway than offshore... just a wild guess though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 09:17   #63

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's a wild guess.... but I'm thinking there are more sights on the waterway than offshore... just a wild guess though!
I fully agree that there are. I've done it both ways and except for the occasional grounding and some of the inconsiderate powerboaters, I enjoyed the AICW a couple of times.
I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your trip. I, for one, enjoy the open ocean. I guess that I am one of those sailors that are more afraid of the land then I am the water, plus - the farther away from land you are the less money you spend.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 24-03-2015, 10:24   #64

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Why ask us? Buy the books, read, do your homework like the rest of us did before we did the ditch the first time.
Once you've done your homework you will know where to stop and what there is to see and where you can and cannot
anchor.

This thread is very disappointing to see on what is usually a friendly and positive place to interact with people of the same interest. I have seen hundreds of requests from fellow sailors for opinions on subjects that can be researched and an answer found, but like most of us, the OP was looking for first hand experience, not book answers of interesting sights but of knowledge of the ICW that isn't necessarily in the cruising guides.

I'm in Titusville, FL and while the Kennedy Space Center is surely in all the books, I doubt that the war bird museum, manatee breeding area, or that the Kennedy Point Marina will only charge 1/2 the normal docking fees for catamarans in the shallower area of the marina would make the cruising guides.

I don't know if there is some kind of bad blood between the OP and some of the sarcastic, rude replies, but if there is, please don't drag the rest of us into your personal crap.

I have learned so much about so many topics from this forum and look forward to reading my "Daily Cruiser, _ new topics" email each day but can do without the bitter offhanded remarks so please do us all a favor and keep them to yourselves.

Thanks,

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 10:48   #65

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
........... I have learned so much about so many topics from this forum and look forward to reading my "Daily Cruiser, _ new topics" email each day but can do without the bitter offhanded remarks so please do us all a favor and keep them to yourselves.

Thanks,

Jeff
For the most part, what you get out of a web forum is related to what you put into it. The way the OP posted, both his original post and follow up posts, encouraged the responses he got.

He would have gotten more polite responses if he had done a bit of research first.
Old 24-03-2015, 10:57   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
For the most part, what you get out of a web forum is related to what you put into it. The way the OP posted, both his original post and follow up posts, encouraged the responses he got.

He would have gotten more polite responses if he had done a bit of research first.
If you read the very first post you will see I did in fact do research. You will also note that I never asked for a list of things to see, all I asked was if there were enough things to see to make it worth doing other than the major stops along the way.

But I guess the thread provided what some really want out of an internet forum
Old 24-03-2015, 11:56   #67

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Come on children, live is to short.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 12:05   #68
CLOD

seems like play to me
Old 24-03-2015, 13:39   #69

Quote:
seems like play to me
Good! I'm glad you did see it that way since it sounded like saying you should have done more research since you where the OP.

The coast of SC is a gold mine. Much of it not publicized to much.
Hell, you may run into Rhett Butler since he came back.
Old 24-03-2015, 14:54   #70
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

The coast of SC is a gold mine. Much of it not publicized to much.
Hell, you may run into Rhett Butler since he came back.
If you do the ICW does it cut out most of that good SC coast (other than Charleston)?

And frankly my dear I don't give a damn about Rhett.
Old 24-03-2015, 15:08   #71

Quote:
If you do the ICW does it cut out most of that good SC coast (other than Charleston)?

And frankly my dear I don't give a damn about Rhett.
I can't attest to the north of Bulls Bay. But there to Savanna has lots of interesting places. Some of the islands and inlets are a little had to find.

Tags
water