Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2015, 11:16   #31
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think you got a flippant response because you asked an overly obvious question. Of course there will be points of interest if you travel the length of the eastern seaboard. Are the point of interest to you? I couldn't tell you.

Well said!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:43   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Charleston Visitor Guide | Official Visitor's Guide to Charleston, SC | Charleston Area CVB

Old 08-03-2015, 12:07   #33
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I sounds that for the most part the sights really can be gotten to just as well by going outside and doing the ICW is really not a path that offers more sights.
In my opinion, you would be quite mistaken about that...

However, as to whether or not you might actually enjoy wandering around a sleepy little place like McClellanville, for instance, without knowing in advance exactly what to expect before stepping off the boat, well... I haven't a clue...

Though my guess would be, probably not...

Old 08-03-2015, 12:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
In my opinion, you would be quite mistaken about that...

However, as to whether or not you might actually enjoy wandering around a sleepy little place like McClellanville, for instance, without knowing in advance exactly what to expect before stepping off the boat, well... I haven't a clue...

Though my guess would be, probably not...

Were does he dock a Rut's? I didn't realize there was anything but commercial docks. It is a quaint little town. Probably the last bastion of commercial shrimping in S.C.. The docks and trawlers are worth seeing.

If he should time it right, the best oysters anywhere, Bull's Bay oysters can be had from the docks.

A good suggestion of a place that could be well be missed.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:53   #35
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
. Or is it for the most part short hops between small towns that mainly are just a place to eat out in, broken up by a couple of larger cities with more to offer?
I appreciate the links to the big cities on the ICW route. But I already was aware of them in the original post.

So other than those, is doing the ditch offer anything really else to see. This was the question and I feel the answer will not be found in a book/guide etc. but far my fellow boaters that asked the question of.

Don't really understand why some seem interested in turning it into some type of battle.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:08   #36

Quote:

1. I appreciate the links to the big cities on the ICW route. But I already was aware of them in the original post.

2. So other than those, is doing the ditch offer anything really else to see. This was the question and I feel the answer will not be found in a book/guide etc. but far my fellow boaters that asked the question of.

3. Don't really understand why some seem interested in turning it into some type of battle.
1. And we're supposed to know that, how?

2. How are we supposed to know what YOU like?

3. I sail the California Delta, 1,000 miles of waterways. There are tons of links on the internet, including the Delta Chamber of Commerce, that provide more links than I could read in a month. However, almost all of them suggest one finds & reads BOOKS! Gasp! Imagine that.

Evidently you didn't find the humor in the Circumnavigation topic either.

You might want to chill a tad.

Either you like motoring and finding new places or you don't. Ron's right, ignore the answers you don't like, but don't shoot the messengers.

And if you claim to have already done the research, then asking whether you could anchor out simply means you haven't.

Have a great trip, whichever route you choose to take.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:20   #37

Quote:
I appreciate the links to the big cities on the ICW route. But I already was aware of them in the original post.

So other than those, is doing the ditch offer anything really else to see. This was the question and I feel the answer will not be found in a book/guide etc. but far my fellow boaters that asked the question of.

Don't really understand why some seem interested in turning it into some type of battle.
I only saw one post, I thought was in gest, that you took as a battle. If you didn't wish to get suggestions on what you knew, it wasn't clear as to what you knew?

Jon suggested a good stop. You can drop a hook in Graham Creek south of there. Just don't venture out to Bull's Bay, it is not much more than a mud flat at low water.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:28   #38

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I think that the answer to your question depends on your attitude as a traveler. Some people treasure the journey, others look forward to arriving at their destination.

There is a marvelous little museum in New Smyrna that is worth a visit.
Anchor in the marshes of Georgia and read aloud from Langston Hughes' book on the subject.
Visit the Civil War ruins all along the ICW.
Experience boiled peanuts in McCellansville.
Have a pot luck dinner with the cruisers at Jekyll Island.
Walk through what is arguably the world's largest hardware store in Cocoa.
Visit the Gullah museum in Georgetown and hear what Geeche means.
Stop in at the used bookstore in Flagler Beach.
Photograph the migratory birds all along the ICW.
Marvel at the Wacammaw River and its tea colored water.
Visit the colonial ruins at Isle of Hope.
See (from a distance) the nuclear subs at Kings Bay.
Watch for Right Whales n Cumberland Sound. Wild horses on the shore.
Enjoy a deserted anchorage, without a cell tower or habitation in sight.

It's the attitude you bring that determines the journey's success or failure. What is you attitude?
Old 08-03-2015, 13:32   #39

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've done the ICW many times and always find places to anchor, even in Florida. Yes, the bridges are a pain so we try to bypass Miami if at all possible. "Steady Hand" (post #4) has the right idea.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:34   #40
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I think that the answer to your question depends on your attitude as a traveler. Some people treasure the journey, others look forward to arriving at their destination.

Anchor in the marshes of Georgia and read aloud from Langston Hughes' book on the subject.

It's the attitude you bring that determines the journey's success or failure. What is you attitude?
Useful answer, thanks. I'll look to see kind of where those things are along the route.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:36   #41
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

And dozens more worthwhile stops, all described in the cruising guides. Along with marinas and anchorages. And bridge schedules and clearances.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:48   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You may get some of the old timers to say after awhile it all looks alike.

These are the same that if they lived on land...their backyard was boring.

Yet the reality is...look close and you may see not only one new thing every day back there but a whole different place depending on what you want to see....from clouds to insects to whatever.

The little towns along the way are the same...sure they can all look the same...until you start to notice the subtle differences. Stay long enough to meet and interesting person or two.

The real difference can be how far from the boat you are willing to or can venture. Marinas that have loaner cars open up all sorts of things to do and see. Some small out of the way places, people and other boaters volunteer to show you around or loan you their car. Some have golf carts. Take a bike and many places you now can get to sights out of town.

But ultimately it is up to you to enjoy the trip.Some hate it at less than 30 knots and some hate it if they do more than 20 miles a month.
I can't speak for all "old timers" but I have been doing the ICW since 1987. And every time is a new experience and every time we see something new. Of course we don't race full throttle from Norfolk to Marathon. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:55   #43
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I only did the ICW once, and it was decades ago when I was in college, but I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Unlike some who get bored easily, I like looking at the marshes and wildlife along the way. There are some great stops, too, and earlier posters have mentioned many of them. We were delivering a cabin cruiser from Virginia to Palm Beach, FL. We would stop at a dock of some sort every night, and invariably found interesting characters who were happy to welcome and talk with transient boaters.

There was one that really intrigued me. We stopped in Georgetown, SC, for the night. An old gentleman at the dock started talking with us, sharing some history of the area. He mentioned a famous bordello that had something of a national reputation, drawing customers from all over, some quite rich and famous. It was said that Fidel Castro had visited the place. It was opened back in the 1930s by a former school teacher from Indiana, and it was called The Sunset Lodge. It was still operating when we stopped in Georgetown, but it closed down a few years later.

I discovered that it's the subject of a book called Keeper of the House, as well as news articles and essays. In the book, the brothel is given a pseudonym, "Hazelhedge".

You never know what you'll come across as you meander down the ICW.
Old 08-03-2015, 15:02   #44
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Were does he dock a Rut's? I didn't realize there was anything but commercial docks. It is a quaint little town. Probably the last bastion of commercial shrimping in S.C.. The docks and trawlers are worth seeing.
Leland Marine Service, for as far back as I can remember... They used to be known for their low fuel prices, and always had someone around who would pump fuel at any time of the night, though I'm not sure that's still the case. Always been a pretty rustic little place, but they even have a floating dock with enough room for a few transients, now... Somewhat due to the lack of amenities, I suppose, the rate was pretty low last time I was in there, something like $1.10/foot, if memory serves...

The walk up to TW Graham's for a meal is well worth it, great food and a wonderful local atmosphere...

Old 08-03-2015, 16:36   #45

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:

I see your point. Go get a cruising guide ? Ok, but it is already, with the advertising, slanted towards the obvious, meaning you are going to do it. I have bought several, and don't expect them to be written objectively addressing the questions you are asking. Coming here and asking the question makes all the sense to me. You weren't asking for directions, you were wondering about the hype. We are in the same situation, and plan to do it, and take our time.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: