Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 05:15   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Atalanta Skipper Guilty

The skipper of Atalanta that crashed into the Hanne Knutsen has been found guilty, fined £3000 with £100,000 costs.

BBC News - Roland Wilson: Cowes Week yacht crash skipper guilty
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:18   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Atalanta Skipper Guilty

Not good for the career.
Old 25-10-2013, 05:20   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Good. If you can't figure out that big ship will squash little ship then please stay off of the water.....oh wait I forgot he was sailing so he must of had the right of way
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:27   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

100,000 pounds in costs -- ouch!

He'll spend the rest of his life paying that off

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:29   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Bad Dig there.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 06:08   #6

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
100,000 pounds in costs -- ouch!

He'll spend the rest of his life paying that off
You don't know that.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 06:10   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
You don't know that.

Onno
Of course I don't - but he's been a naval officer (they make tons of money), and now he's an inflatable boat designer (hmmmmm- oh they makes tons of money).

But you're right - he could be independently wealthy. What do I know?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 09:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This of the AIS tracks with a video overlay is interesting. I can understand how this skipper got into trouble. He was fixated on #1 believing that the ship was/must being going to turn to starboard (as they normally do in this spot and as the ship made sound signals they were in fact going to do), and #2 on the 'proper' port to port passing, and #3 not giving up 'unnecessary' racing distance.

(all times before collision)
4:41 Yacht makes gybe to pass normal ship track port to port. The Ships normally starts turn to starboard shortly after passing the "precautionary area" boundary. The yacht gybe here 'should have been a reasonable move, passing right close behind the ship's stern and giving up minimal racing distance and speed. A sharper turn to starboard, giving a greater CPA to the ship's expected track, would have been more 'prudent', but the yacht is racing and that would have given up 'unnecessary' distance if the ship had turned as normal and expected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	69409

2:03 Patrol boat guiding ship makes turn to starboard. Sometime just before this the ship made a sound signal that they were going to turn to starboard. But then was blocked from making their turn by a small disabled power boat. This screws up the yacht's plan.

1:39 Patrol boat identifies risk of collision and changes course toward yacht.

1:27 Yacht identifies risk of collision and comes up to starboard to (a) pass port to port) and (b) to avoid "normal" course of ship. The Yacht is still expecting the ship to turn to starboard and still trying to pass port to port. The yacht is already a bit screwed here 1:27 before the actual collision - a turn to port puts right in the 'expected path/turn of the ship and a turn to starboard puts it in the current path of the ship. Some communication here between the yacht and the ship/patrol boat would have been really really useful, so that the yacht knew which way the ship was going to go. Short of that a drastic maneuver by the yacht was required - blow the chute, start the engine and turn 100 degrees one way or the other but it would still have been hard to decide which way to turn.

Name:	358.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	69410

0:18 Yacht comes up as close as possible, losing their spinnaker trim, still trying to pass port to post and avoid the ship's normal turn. At some point between 1:27 and 0:18 it should have been obvious the ship was just continuing on in a straight path and a crash gybe to port would have been smarter than continuing to try to make a port to port passing.

0:00 Collision. Interesting to note that the AIS gps antennae must be aft on the ship because the video shows the collision at this time but the AIS plot still shows separation.

Name:	525.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	69411
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:20   #9

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

This just goes to show what I have always maintained and which many RN officers agree—privately of course.
There are two things with which you should never ever go to sea on a small boat. One is a wheelbarrow and the other a British Naval Officer.
And by the way, I knew a lot of them.

Tags
skipper