Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 09:41   #541
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
Should have clarified. Reasonably priced for me. Something in my personal price range. It's the deal breaker. It doesn't matter how wonderful it is if I can't afford it in the first place! Lol. Still have not lost all hope.

So what is your price range? I'm sure people could give you recommendations if they knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:56   #542

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
Holy!! I Just spent 9 days out on real water sailing a multihull up and down the coast and around Vancouver Island. I found that sailing on a lake vrs the ocean is like night and day. Sailing my Cola Cooler around the lake is really gonna suck now. I'm seriously in the market for a Catamaran if anyone has one for around $60k.
There's a Catalac 8M for $13k in the Puget Sound area. Try CL I think.
Old 29-10-2015, 10:15   #543
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Should have clarified. Reasonably priced for me. Something in my personal price range. It's the deal breaker. It doesn't matter how wonderful it is if I can't afford it in the first place! Lol. Still have not lost all hope.

What is your price range?
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:17   #544
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There's a Catalac 8M for $13k in the Puget Sound area. Try CL I think.

I think it needs $50K to make it sea worthy but thanks anyway for the heads up.
Old 29-10-2015, 11:31   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So what is your price range? I'm sure people could give you recommendations if they knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
When the timing is right probably no more than 75k.
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:41   #546

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I love sailing. I have raced and sailed on everything from a square rigged Brigantine where the entire crew of twenty stood to Lee trying to get the rail under to a Tektron 50 where a puff hit and people fell over as it accelerated. Our family has only ever sailed catamarans that is 50 years and that is all I would want to sail.
There are big differences between cats,tris and monohulls and just as much difference in the boats of each type.
Some of each won't go up wind well or are weight sensitive or wet or tender or whatever other point of comparison you want to make.
I was lucky enough enough to be at the St tropez race week in September (as a spectator. Seeing 2 J boats under chute was great as was watching Wally with an asymmetric go by a 20 plus knots, throw in a G32 on foils What a Day!
Sail what you like, want, can and respect other people's choices and we will all have a good time.
Ps never mention religion, politics, or guns
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 14:31   #547
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

There are some good catamarans out there for that price, but maybe not something you would be interested in. You may find a custom or home built in great shape for that price as they don't maintain a great value. You may also find an older dated cat in good shape for that price, but you probably won't find a newer modern design for anywhere close.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:03   #548

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
They are not more expensive, there just aren't many choices available in certain price ranges - which I suspect is the case here. You probably can't afford a Swan 60 either, but that doesn't make all monos expensive.

For closely comparable mono/cat, they are essentially equal priced. However, there are many, many more lower priced monos available than lower priced cats.

Mark
Indeed. It is a fallacy to measure boats just by length. Cats and monos of similar volume and similar specification and level of build quality cost roughly the same. You've got two hulls to work with in a cat, so the volume will be more, in a given amount of length. The equivalent volume mono to a 45 foot cat, will be about 55 feet. I would have thought that this would be obvious, but here you read people continuing to write stuff like this.

Now the exception to this might be the latest generation of "wedgies" -- fat-transomed monohulls from Bene, Hanse, etc. These achieve very high volume efficiency -- I mean, interior volume per unit of hull area, because of their fatness. And so they are more voluminous, for a given length, and are extraordinarily cheap, for a given volume. The Hanse 57, for example, is HUGE, but costs maybe 1/3 of what middle-class monohulls of similar length (and lesser interior volume) cost.

The cost is going to be all about the amount of materials used -- margins are not going to vary greatly, or the amount of labor or machinery needed to make different kinds of boats. It's true that with cats you have two machines instead of one, which raises the costs somewhat, but they are smaller, which partially compensates, and you don't have a keel (and lead costs about $2000 per ton). And the machinery is not all that large a part of the cost of making a boat anyway. A big of drift, but redundant machines is one of the (several) things I really like about cats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:15   #549
cruiser

Quote:
When I started out looking my budget was $60K for a multihull. I found a few for around $50K, but they all needed total refits which added up to another $30K.

After a year of sailing my mono and realizing what I need mixed in with what I want, my budget is up to $125K for a multihull. I'm still looking.
Old 29-10-2015, 15:35   #550

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1949357]Indeed. It is a fallacy to measure boats just by length. <-- apparently i dont know how to work qoutes... lol

You are correct. Why I never looked for a cat of equal length to the many mono hulls i have found that are in my price range.

Im sure its possible to find a good ocean going cat in my price range this is why i have not given up completely but as was previously stated the availability is limited and I have not found one yet.

I might get lucky but it is personal life circumstances in my situation that will determine when i purchase my vessel and I certainly wont keep looking for a few more years to hold out on a cat. Would be really cool to find this needle in a hay stack but i wont hold my breath.
Old 29-10-2015, 15:41   #551

On another note selling my car in my avatar will give me a good boost !!
Old 29-10-2015, 15:43   #552

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

[QUOTE=Nerfherder;1949391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed. It is a fallacy to measure boats just by length. <-- apparently i dont know how to work qoutes... lol

You are correct. Why I never looked for a cat of equal length to the many mono hulls i have found that are in my price range.

Im sure its possible to find a good ocean going cat in my price range this is why i have not given up completely but as was previously stated the availability is limited and I have not found one yet.

I might get lucky but it is personal life circumstances in my situation that will determine when i purchase my vessel and I certainly wont keep looking for a few more years to hold out on a cat. Would be really cool to find this needle in a hay stack but i wont hold my breath.
Years spent not being on the water can never be replaced, as our lives are (all too) finite. The choice of boat is not a life and death question, contrary to what you might expect from some of the passionate opinions expressed here. There are plenty of good boats you can buy for $60k. Buy one and get out there. Much more important than what kind of boat it is, is what kind of condition it is in, as this will determine whether you spend 90% of your time (versus merely 50%) fixing it, compared to sailing it. Look for something which has just been extensively refitted by an owner which loved the boat beyond all economic reason. What kind of boat it is is really very much secondary. All boats are good, compared to being on land.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 29-10-2015, 15:47   #553

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On another note selling my car in my avatar will give me a good boost !!
I sold a 1970 Porsche 911S this year, in order to buy sails. I loved that car. But first things first. I kind of got over cars, when I bought my first cruising sailboat.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-10-2015, 15:48   #554

Thanks for the words Dockhead pretty much the feeling I have. Just love being on the water more than anything. Had my fun with the car... now its time to be on the water. Well almost time to be on the water... lol
Old 29-10-2015, 16:16   #555

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
With the qualifiers it looks like a budget of $40k-$50k for the purchase, with some reasonable amount left over for refitting, etc. If you are careful and do all your proper due diligence, you can find a pretty nice boat for that price.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls