Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 14:33   #451
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yes, I see . It was my fault because I'm too touchy. Fair enough, knew it was all my fault anyway. I own a catamaran after all. If it had been a mono he wouldn't have said anything...

The reason I used that very mild case as an example is because I wondered how I could have caused it, since I hadn't said anything more than "thanks" to this guy. So thank you for explaining it.

Certainly there have been many more "spirited" discussions than that, but frankly I couldn't be bothered typing them out, even if I could remember them.

Actually I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to the crap. after so much you get used to it, and usually just laugh it off. Probably your multi owning friends are used to it too. So they simply don't bother to mention it. Have you actually ASKED any of them if they cop any of this ****?

Really the only reason I mentioned it was due to one of the posts made here earlier, some rubbish about how mono owners are more secure in their choice and don't feel the need to criticise other's choices.

And it is only a small minority. As I said before, we get plenty of visitors genuinely interested in our boat, and genuinely interested in moving from mono to cat by the same route we did - by building one.

And I'd have absolutely no problem discussing with you the pro's and con's of various types of boat over a beer. You don't seem the type to make statements such as: "Anyone who sails a boat that can't right itself is a complete wanker". Yes, someone did say that to me.
LOLOLOL
Im a catamaran lover and future Cat owner who currently is now involved in ownership of a Westerly Centaur..... long story, dont ask. I actually love Westerlys and the Centaur is one of my favourites so its a pleasure to sail her.

I was locking out at Cardiff the other day, and I overheard a comment by a guy on a motor cruiser behind me giving crap about getting round the "piddly small ?issing F'ing titchy excuse for a sailboat who would be in his f'ing way when it was time to go."

It amused me... but it is common among certain prime examples of the human species to be utter pillocks when it suits them. He was mr grumpy when he roared passed me and created a huge tidal wake.

Life does have its compensations. I have a patient with whom I have a good relationship who just happens to be an elected member of the boat club where the prime example is a member. They are VERY keen on their members being good representatives of the club. Words will be exchanged.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 14:37   #452
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ps to 44'CruisingCat.

I love your boat.
Old 26-08-2014, 14:37   #453
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Are you sure that the builder did not install a shithead magnet in your boat CC? I had one in a junk rigged schooner I am sure.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 14:39   #454
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Are you sure that the builder did not install a shithead magnet in your boat CC? I had one in a junk rigged schooner I am sure.

Coops.
I wonder if I can make a "shithead approaching" app? Switch it on when entering a marina and if any are present circle a few times until they have gone......
Old 26-08-2014, 14:46   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Coops.
I didn't knowingly fit one, but maybe by accident, when I started building the second hull...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 14:47   #456
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I didn't knowingly fit one, but maybe by accident, when I started building the second hull...
You have two hulls?

Old 26-08-2014, 14:49   #457

I'm pretty sure it's OK to have two hulls, as long as they aren't joined together.
Old 26-08-2014, 14:56   #458
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's OK to have two hulls, as long as they aren't joined together.
ah.

So Im currently enjoying sailing in a mono......... I will rephrase that, Im having a GREAT time piddling around in a "slow" 26 footer in the Bristol Channel in the UK... Im loving it. I really enjoy the Westerly design and the seakindlyness of the vessel.

BUt....... my heart is set on a 28 to 36 foot Cat on the East Side of Spain and Im coming closer to my goal every day. I love Catamaran motion and space and the lack of heel when its blowing hard.

It doesnt take away the fun of just being on the water in a great boat regardless of number of hulls.

Lovin' it large these past few days.
Old 26-08-2014, 15:05   #459
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I love all boats......but maybe not all boat owners:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:17   #460
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The best example of this sort of ignorance and stupidity I ever saw was after a Brisbane to Gladstone race. At that time both the monos and multis had there presentations at the YAcht Club. In the middle of a relaxed but still important official presentation meal and speeches etc, a mono owner opened the closed door to the multi presentation and started yelling "Cat-whackers, CAt-Whackers" incessantly. I understand his sadness, his boat arrived about 12 hours after the last multi arrived. And he thinks he is pretty fast.

After he was politely asked to leave and was slightly shepherded out the door he returned half an hour later with a drunken mate and the issue repeated itself. No surprise that they hold the multi presentation in a different location now.

And BTW this isn't a story about "some unidentified bloke", I can give you his boat name if you want or need to pursue it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:17   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
ah.

So Im currently enjoying sailing in a mono......... I will rephrase that, Im having a GREAT time piddling around in a "slow" 26 footer in the Bristol Channel in the UK... Im loving it. I really enjoy the Westerly design and the seakindlyness of the vessel.

BUt....... my heart is set on a 28 to 36 foot Cat on the East Side of Spain and Im coming closer to my goal every day. I love Catamaran motion and space and the lack of heel when its blowing hard.

It doesnt take away the fun of just being on the water in a great boat regardless of number of hulls.

Lovin' it large these past few days.
Yes, sailing, ANY sailing's great.
Old 26-08-2014, 15:34   #462

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thinking a bit deeper into this.. (yikes)

Would it be fair to generalize that experienced multihullers are more attracted to leading edge technology than the average sailor?

I have found them to be the very best advisors on electronics, solar management and generally most 'leading edge' discussions on everything from storm tactics to new anchors.

Could it be that this very commendable technical mindset (which would obviously attract some challenges)..... Also create a more defensive "already listening" reaction to honest questions from the mono crowd?

I am here mostly to learn from others by comparing their experiences with mine..... Not to judge!
One issue that keeps raising its ugly head is the cost difference between a monohull and a multihull. If you are watching every penny it is unlikely you will be learning about bleeding edge toys you will never be able to afford. On the other hand if you have a $US100,000+ (I know there are some multihulls that are less but not ones that I would feel comfortable living on and coastal cruising, less yet blue water cruising) boat you may well be looking at toys someone with a $US20,000+ (I have seen monohulls at this price point that are seaworthy but not nearly as comfortable as a more expensive boat) monhull has.

I know plenty of monohull guys who are every bit as capable as monohull guys. But they tend to be on monohulls that are far above the $US20,000 price point.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:43   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
.........I know plenty of monohull guys who are every bit as capable as monohull guys.
Me too.
Old 26-08-2014, 17:53   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Sadly, I too have experienced a 'seachange' in some peoples willingness to offer criticism when not asked for. I dont think its peculiar to Cat vs Mono owners, its more like a reflection of the way Society has developed.

I find it frustrating when people mention their experience on CF and another poster calls BS on the statement. Whatever the statement is, all we can do is respond that our experience with the situation is different, and sorry to hear of yours.

However, we get excuses that "its the internet" and people hide behind anonymity etc...... but you know what? The "internet" is made of of people just like us, in fact it is us, and some of us actually tell the truth of events as happened to us in real life, and some of us are just plain rude.

In many facets of my life, I have encountered extreme rudeness and callousness in comments and deed. In the main this does not happen but there is an undercurrent rising where it is noticeable by its presence. There is prejudice everywhere and less of a willingness to keep opinions to oneself.

I like boats. ALL of them from the large cruise liners down to small sail boats and weird and whacky one offs. Im not one to go up to an owner and criticise his choice or wisdom. In conversation with an owner, if asked, I might ask questions regarding certain aspects of the build or a design feature, and if pushed might express a personal reservation or preference for another type of feature instead, but that is conversation among boaters and not a critcism of their vessel. If their was any chance of upsetting someone then I would not offer any comment, for in reality a comment is but an opinion, a preference or an observation, which if uncalled for, is a waste of breath.

I like Catamarans. Whatever vessel I owned it would not matter what anyone said, I own it because I wanted it. Its mine good or bad. They dont have to pay for it, fix it, sail it or live on it, I do.

We dont have to agree with comments we read. We also dont have to outright accuse some writers of porky pies either unless we know of that situation or them personally.

Some experiences we dont want. But it doesnt mean others dont have them.

Excellent post! I've noticed the same thing, especially among kids. I remember addressing adults by their last names when I was a kid, by the time I was in my 20s, the practice had gone away, with parents telling their kids to address me by my first name, without asking my permission.

Now I've seen videos of kids attacking the elderly to rob them, a fight between a middle aged man and a 17 yr old punk and all sorts of craziness from adults as well as kids. It's like 3/4 of the population is trying to get on the Jerry Springer or Maury Povitch shows!

You're right, there is a lot of rudeness in this world, especially online. There are even those who do it for entertainment, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and figure they're just dorks who think they're funny.

Boat selection is a very personal subject, even more so than house selection. I think people put more thought into it and get more attached to their boats, unless they had a custom house built. I probably wouldn't serioulsy criticize another person's choice in boats, but I DID get a chuckle out of the Flyin' Hawaiian...
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 18:12   #465
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am not suggesting that MH guys are more capable than Mono owners, but asking (generally speaking) if they are more comfortable with newer, less traditional solutions?

Assuming price is not the issue, why would Jedi (for example) choose his mono over a multi?... (He is a pretty leading edge guy)

I can only speak for myself and my honest (admittedly ignorant) answer is 'Fear'!

I am not ignorant of survival conditions at sea, but have never experienced them in a Cat.....

Truth be told....when looking for a boat for SE Asia... I started with Cats at a flexible price point.

But my ignorance over how they would handle a Typhoon scenario tipped the scale towards my Stargazer.

That is perhaps extreme, paranoid thinking... but maybe also a clue towards the psychological differences between MH and Mono mind sets that I poorly described as "leading edge"..

My previous links to Wolfson tank test studies was not to disparage one design choice over another, but to better understand the technical limitations and put into perspective, my MH fears.

Many great CF threads on heavy weather tactics for multis have already assuaged those fears, so if I ever choose to replace SG..... then a multi will be high on the list.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls