Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 22:38   #436
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ah yes, of course it's MY fault.

Please explain to me what I did wrong in this instance - we entered a marina we'd never been to before. While I was backing into the berth an elderly gent kindly came out on the finger and caught our lines for us.

Once we'd tied up, I said "Thanks mate, very nice of you." To which he replied -

"Well I figured you cat guys need all the help you can get, since your boat is more stable upside down than right way up."

To which I just smiled, and said "Yeah, right, well thanks again, see ya."

Of course I realise this was ENTIRELY my fault. But what (apart from owning a catamaran) did I do wrong? I'd just like to know so I can learn from my mistake.
You did nothing wrong. You just met a typical marina doc walker who thought he was funny... I myself would have told him to "fornication leave". Actually where was this i might know him if you say Scarborough marine i would say i do.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 23:24   #437
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,925
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Like some others here I have been cruising for years in several different areas in the world and have never sat around with other cruisers and had critical things to say about other peoples boats. In fact I find it just the opposite as it seems that other cruisers are constantly finding good things to say about everyone else's choice.
We have been invited aboard hundreds of other boats for "boat tours" and have never found one that we didn't have compliments for.
__________________

__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 23:47   #438
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Cat; Stability, Comfort, Deck Space, "Unsinkable", No Heeling
Mono; UnCapsizable, Inexpensive, Looks after you when you're tired & or not feeling well.
__________________
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:35   #439
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ah yes, of course it's MY fault.

Please explain to me what I did wrong in this instance - we entered a marina we'd never been to before. While I was backing into the berth an elderly gent kindly came out on the finger and caught our lines for us.

Once we'd tied up, I said "Thanks mate, very nice of you." To which he replied -

"Well I figured you cat guys need all the help you can get, since your boat is more stable upside down than right way up."

To which I just smiled, and said "Yeah, right, well thanks again, see ya."

Of course I realise this was ENTIRELY my fault. But what (apart from owning a catamaran) did I do wrong? I'd just like to know so I can learn from my mistake.
Gosh, 44, that sounds like you handled it pretty well. But, that incident does not sound like what has been talked about upthread... the vicious attacks, red in the face confrontations and so on.

Do you feel like this gentleman was serious in what he said? I can actually envision myself saying something similar, say to a chap in a Westsail referring to his bowsprit skewering the neighbor's boat, or a motoryacht with something about a smog alert, or whatever. I tend to use gentle, possibly silly humour to (in my perhaps distorted view) start a conversation with a stranger. Sometimes I start out with a complement, too. But perhaps you guys are right and monomorons just hate multihullers because they are jealous. I dunno, because that attitude has not appeared to me or my immediate multihull friends.

So, if I should encounter you and your cat (if we decide to go further north rather than to New Cal here in a week or two), I will try to curb my tongue and talk about the weather or the footy (whatever that is) or some non-yachting subject. Despite our differing views on some things, I would not wish to offend!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:43   #440
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Sadly, I too have experienced a 'seachange' in some peoples willingness to offer criticism when not asked for. I dont think its peculiar to Cat vs Mono owners, its more like a reflection of the way Society has developed.

I find it frustrating when people mention their experience on CF and another poster calls BS on the statement. Whatever the statement is, all we can do is respond that our experience with the situation is different, and sorry to hear of yours.

However, we get excuses that "its the internet" and people hide behind anonymity etc...... but you know what? The "internet" is made of of people just like us, in fact it is us, and some of us actually tell the truth of events as happened to us in real life, and some of us are just plain rude.

In many facets of my life, I have encountered extreme rudeness and callousness in comments and deed. In the main this does not happen but there is an undercurrent rising where it is noticeable by its presence. There is prejudice everywhere and less of a willingness to keep opinions to oneself.

I like boats. ALL of them from the large cruise liners down to small sail boats and weird and whacky one offs. Im not one to go up to an owner and criticise his choice or wisdom. In conversation with an owner, if asked, I might ask questions regarding certain aspects of the build or a design feature, and if pushed might express a personal reservation or preference for another type of feature instead, but that is conversation among boaters and not a critcism of their vessel. If their was any chance of upsetting someone then I would not offer any comment, for in reality a comment is but an opinion, a preference or an observation, which if uncalled for, is a waste of breath.

I like Catamarans. Whatever vessel I owned it would not matter what anyone said, I own it because I wanted it. Its mine good or bad. They dont have to pay for it, fix it, sail it or live on it, I do.

We dont have to agree with comments we read. We also dont have to outright accuse some writers of porky pies either unless we know of that situation or them personally.

Some experiences we dont want. But it doesnt mean others dont have them.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:00   #441
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Gee Weave, is that a monovan or a catamavan? More than likely it's a moronvan, but it is his/yours so who am I to judge?

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:03   #442
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Gee Weave, is that a monovan or a catamavan? More than likely it's a moronvan, but it is his/yours so who am I to judge?

Coops.
lololol

Yes.. there is not much to say except... "oh thats .. um... interesting".


I saw some weird and wonderful boating sights on the rivers of Florida I can tell ya!
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:08   #443
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

If it's a monovan it will sink. If it's a catamavan it will flip and all the things in that red box will fall out. However, I bet he never gets anybody on board for sundowners being insulting.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:15   #444
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
If it's a monovan it will sink. If it's a catamavan it will flip and all the things in that red box will fall out. However, I bet he never gets anybody on board for sundowners being insulting.

Coops.
Sundowners?

Beer and whisky mate............ thats yer choice. Start at 8am and continue till you fall off the ... er..... vessel.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:19   #445
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

I want to see somebody go down the side and scale that ladder after a six pack of either.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:24   #446
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I want to see somebody go down the side and scale that ladder after a six pack of either.

Coops.
Yes. It has design features Im not familiar with or perhaps would consider for my next bo...er... vessel...
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:37   #447
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yes. It has design features Im not familiar with or perhaps would consider for my next bo...er... vessel...
You have not been thinking outside of the box Weave. But this guy started with a box. Then he kicked the sides out and put his specially designed and ergonomically excellent cabin inside of it. The BBQ and red box are merely bling added on to attract the ladies.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:41   #448
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You have not been thinking outside of the box Weave. But this guy started with a box. Then he kicked the sides out and put his specially designed and ergonomically excellent cabin inside of it. The BBQ and red box are merely bling added on to attract the ladies.

Coops.
He is working on a two seat tender..

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 01:47   #449
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Just love the ape hangers behind his head there. Must be an aqua glide.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:19   #450
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,453
Images: 69
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gosh, 44, that sounds like you handled it pretty well. But, that incident does not sound like what has been talked about upthread... the vicious attacks, red in the face confrontations and so on.

Do you feel like this gentleman was serious in what he said? I can actually envision myself saying something similar, say to a chap in a Westsail referring to his bowsprit skewering the neighbor's boat, or a motoryacht with something about a smog alert, or whatever. I tend to use gentle, possibly silly humour to (in my perhaps distorted view) start a conversation with a stranger. Sometimes I start out with a complement, too. But perhaps you guys are right and monomorons just hate multihullers because they are jealous. I dunno, because that attitude has not appeared to me or my immediate multihull friends.

So, if I should encounter you and your cat (if we decide to go further north rather than to New Cal here in a week or two), I will try to curb my tongue and talk about the weather or the footy (whatever that is) or some non-yachting subject. Despite our differing views on some things, I would not wish to offend!

Jim
Yes, I see . It was my fault because I'm too touchy. Fair enough, knew it was all my fault anyway. I own a catamaran after all. If it had been a mono he wouldn't have said anything...

The reason I used that very mild case as an example is because I wondered how I could have caused it, since I hadn't said anything more than "thanks" to this guy. So thank you for explaining it.

Certainly there have been many more "spirited" discussions than that, but frankly I couldn't be bothered typing them out, even if I could remember them.

Actually I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to the crap. after so much you get used to it, and usually just laugh it off. Probably your multi owning friends are used to it too. So they simply don't bother to mention it. Have you actually ASKED any of them if they cop any of this ****?

Really the only reason I mentioned it was due to one of the posts made here earlier, some rubbish about how mono owners are more secure in their choice and don't feel the need to criticise other's choices.

And it is only a small minority. As I said before, we get plenty of visitors genuinely interested in our boat, and genuinely interested in moving from mono to cat by the same route we did - by building one.

And I'd have absolutely no problem discussing with you the pro's and con's of various types of boat over a beer. You don't seem the type to make statements such as: "Anyone who sails a boat that can't right itself is a complete wanker". Yes, someone did say that to me.
__________________

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monohulls, mulithulls

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HIGH RISK POST: West Marine Apologizes... bstreep Off Topic Forum 60 13-08-2009 05:16
At The Risk of Sounding Like a Jerk ssullivan Multihull Sailboats 31 07-09-2008 19:50
Anchoring in Florida at risk starfish62 Cruising News & Events 2 19-03-2008 12:00



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.