Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 05:56   #316

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post

(...)

"In the kinds of shallow and protected seas that are widely popular for cruising, and where the cruiser has the means and desire to own and cruise in a boat above a certain size/price point, there is no question that the mono has become a dinosaur"

Below a certain size/price point, and/or in some kinds of seas the Mono still holds a strong attraction. I'd rather live aboard a 32' monohull than a 32' multihull.

And then there is the battle about whether a cruiser is a sailor and vice-versa.... a battle I like to exit with the line that this is called the "Cruisers" forum, not the "Sailors" forum.
Mobiles may be cooking our brains and yet you will see thousands of people doing this every day, hours long, everywhere.

Catamarans may be the "worse" boats, and yet whoever can afford, goes for a cat as their cruising tool.

And as far as your last doubt is concerned I dare attach an image ...

Big hug,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whoseforumisthis.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	85479  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 21:03   #317
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Catamarans may be the "worse" boats, and yet whoever can afford, goes for a cat as their cruising tool.
I'm not so sure I buy that argument. There are two people I know who can well afford a catermaran, but prefer a mono hull as their cruising tool. That tells me there's much more to it than just affordability.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 21:40   #318

I have not been at sea in a cat when the poo hits the fan. I have in a 40 foot mono, 28 hrs of sustained 65kts with seas scary big. When your in the cockpit and look up at the bare mast and all you can see at times is walls of water, you start to look forward to the forecast drop in wind to the mid 40s. Now fast forward to a Couple of weeks ago coming back to Airlie Beach in a lagoon 440. Just a 5 mile hop across Whitsunday passage 30kts wind over tide and it was scary, in fact the owner turned around to wait for the tide change, I was happy with his decision. I have always been mindful of weather but sometimes you get caught out.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 22:37   #319

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I have not been at sea in a cat when the poo hits the fan. I have in a 40 foot mono, 28 hrs of sustained 65kts with seas scary big. When your in the cockpit and look up at the bare mast and all you can see at times is walls of water, you start to look forward to the forecast drop in wind to the mid 40s. Now fast forward to a Couple of weeks ago coming back to Airlie Beach in a lagoon 440. Just a 5 mile hop across Whitsunday passage 30kts wind over tide and it was scary, in fact the owner turned around to wait for the tide change, I was happy with his decision. I have always been mindful of weather but sometimes you get caught out.

OMG I find that difficult to believe it that scary in a 440 rather more unpleasant. I my youth used to run over to dive Hayman Is area in strong wind warnings with a 19ft Haines powerboat when was to rough to go out of Mackay.

Had some similar weather with charters on a Seawind 1000 and Lagoon 400 (during cyclone season)and never found any concern. Both handled conditions well with a bit of movement in the tidal rip areas and reinforced my choice to go with catamaran.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 23:37   #320

I get a kick out of some of you guys and your discussion of rough seas. Now we have a 19 ft. runnabout that is going to take on some weather....when I read that I know you haven't really been out in anything really big because some of the stuff I've been in a 19 ft runabout would be swamped within a few minutes.

I don't have any experience in big seas and Cats but I expect a Cat would do OK although I wouldn't want to be sitting up on one of those fly bridges.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 02:56   #321
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I get a kick out of some of you guys and your discussion of rough seas. Now we have a 19 ft. runnabout that is going to take on some weather....when I read that I know you haven't really been out in anything really big because some of the stuff I've been in a 19 ft runabout would be swamped within a few minutes.

I don't have any experience in big seas and Cats but I expect a Cat would do OK although I wouldn't want to be sitting up on one of those fly bridges.
I have experienced very large seas... survival conditions and in ships with a lot more dynamic stability than a cat.
The issue quickly becomes:
NOT which one is the most comfortable at anchor
But:
Which watertight vessel will survive if capsized or rolled?

When I talk about a yacht with heavy ballast and a solid foot in the water... It is from these perspectives.

The decision on which type of yacht to buy... is not made with survival conditions as the top priority... or else we would all be buying submarine's.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 06:27   #322

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
I'm not so sure I buy that argument. There are two people I know who can well afford a catermaran, but prefer a mono hull as their cruising tool. That tells me there's much more to it than just affordability.
Perhaps their cruising grounds lend themselves to choosing a mono?

Still, you got me here; my statement was unashamedly dramatic. This is one of my favourite writing tools when participating in reality show threads. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 08:41   #323
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post

There is most likely no comparison between a lake and the ocean so, I think I have to get out into ocean water to fully understand this wind and heavy seas thing. But I was in 15-20kts winds most of yesterday on the lake and with my limited experience I had no problem though it was a bit of a workout for me. Seas on the lake, if there is such a thing, were around .5mts (about 1-1/2 feet). Is the problem more the wind or the seas out on the ocean?
Old 26-07-2014, 10:57   #324

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Well wind makes the waves, being underway stabalizes all displacement hulls, but you can't sail when the winds are too strong so you heave to and hope you don't get hit broadside by a towering breaking wave. Otherwise you roll. If a cat gets rolled it has an excellent chance of gets stuck turtled

Scot McPherson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:15   #325
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Well wind makes the waves, being underway stabalizes all displacement hulls, but you can't sail when the winds are too strong so you heave to and hope you don't get hit broadside by a towering breaking wave. Otherwise you roll. If a cat gets rolled it has an excellent chance of gets stuck turtled

Scot McPherson

You are right, but a cat gets rolled much less frequently than a mono.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:55   #326
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We've discovered something else different about monohull and multihull cruisers. Multihull cruisers don't tend to cover the dock where they tie up with all the stuff they need to get out of the boat to either dry out or give themselves room to move. I guess living under water has it's ramifications.
Old 26-07-2014, 15:00   #327
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post

Scot McPherson

Yes, I understand wind makes waves. It just seems to me that the waves are smaller on a lake with a wind at 20kts than they are on the ocean with a wind at 20kts. So, I take it the depth of the water has a lot to do with it the size of the wave also. Out of curiosity, on the ocean how strong of wind will put you into heave to mode in a mono or multi?
Old 26-07-2014, 16:35   #328
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

In analysing the Seas you will face in heavy weather...these are some of the factors to consider.

Wave Period/Height /Fetch/History/secondary swells/topography/ocean current direction

Noting that a wave period the same length as your boat is the most critical and dangerous situation (anywhere).

Worth reading
http://www.stormsurf.com/page2/tutor...vebasics.shtml
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 17:47   #329

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
Yes, I understand wind makes waves. It just seems to me that the waves are smaller on a lake with a wind at 20kts than they are on the ocean with a wind at 20kts. So, I take it the depth of the water has a lot to do with it the size of the wave also. Out of curiosity, on the ocean how strong of wind will put you into heave to mode in a mono or multi?
Wave height is dependent on three factors:
1. Wind strength
2. Wind duration (how long it blows in the same direction)
3. Fetch (the uninterrupted distance over which the wind blows in the same direction)

The third factor is the critical one when talking about ocean waves. A steady 20 knots will build much bigger waves over 1000 miles of ocean than they will over a couple of miles in a lake.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 19:30   #330
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In analysing the Seas you will face in heavy weather...these are some of the factors to consider.

Wave Period/Height /Fetch/History/secondary swells/topography/ocean current direction

Noting that a wave period the same length as your boat is the most critical and dangerous situation (anywhere).

Worth reading
Wave Basics (Stormsurf)

Awesome tutorial Pelagic. Thanks, I appreciate that greatly.

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls