Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 10:36   #301
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42
Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
He didn't say it was no good, only that it was homemade/DIY.
You inferred that as being 'no good', so maybe ask yourself the same question.

Production boats use female molds and are made of fiberglass because it is the fastest way to make the same boat more than once.

Wood will rot if not taken care of, so how good the boat is depends entirely on how well it was built and then how well it was maintained.
Don't confuse inferring with asking. Maybe you didn't notice the ? after the question.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 10:49   #302

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
Don't confuse inferring with asking. Maybe you didn't notice the ? after the question.
Have you stopped beating your wife?
Old 21-07-2014, 11:16   #303
cruiser

Quote:
Lmao....where did that come from? Oh I see, you're in northern california.
Old 21-07-2014, 11:17   #304
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Is that a DIY or a Production female mold question? )
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 11:22   #305
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Is that a DIY or a Production female mold question? )
Lmao...
Old 21-07-2014, 16:25   #306
CF Adviser

How about a cartoon response?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405985145080.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	85323  
Old 21-07-2014, 19:35   #307
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
How about a cartoon response?
hahahahahaha awesome!
Old 22-07-2014, 06:03   #308

Boat: a sailing boat

Think mono has a 30% to 50% of its displacement locked in the ballast. Read wasted. So, at the outset, a multi is a 30% to 50% more of a boat.

I think the future of cruising and sailing is all about the multi world. A mono is the dinosaur.

But with such a huge stock of aging monos, we will never ever run out of them. With time, they may become collectables. Perhaps buy a couple now and sell them in 100 years or so and you will have enough cruising kitty to take you rtw a couple of times, in your multi.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 06:26   #309

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Reminds me of this one:

-Professor, is it true, that you are beating your wife?
-No, it is not true, I am not a professor.

Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 07:01   #310
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Think mono has a 30% to 50% of its displacement locked in the ballast. Read wasted. So, at the outset, a multi is a 30% to 50% more of a boat.
Oh..I don't know..... been in a few storms with major breaking seas ....where I thought that heavy foot, low in the water, was not wasted....
Old 23-07-2014, 18:29   #311

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I think the future of cruising and sailing is all about the multi world. A mono is the dinosaur.

But with such a huge stock of aging monos, we will never ever run out of them. With time, they may become collectables. Perhaps buy a couple now and sell them in 100 years or so and you will have enough cruising kitty to take you rtw a couple of times, in your multi.

b.
And that brings us back to the "what is a cruiser?" war.

I used to agree with this 100%, but after much reflection I've modified it to this:

"In the kinds of shallow and protected seas that are widely popular for cruising, and where the cruiser has the means and desire to own and cruise in a boat above a certain size/price point, there is no question that the mono has become a dinosaur"

Below a certain size/price point, and/or in some kinds of seas the Mono still holds a strong attraction. I'd rather live aboard a 32' monohull than a 32' multihull.

And then there is the battle about whether a cruiser is a sailor and vice-versa.... a battle I like to exit with the line that this is called the "Cruisers" forum, not the "Sailors" forum.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 18:32   #312
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
And that brings us back to the "what is a cruiser?" war.

I used to agree with this 100%, but after much reflection I've modified it to this:

"In the kinds of shallow and protected seas that are widely popular for cruising, and where the cruiser has the means and desire to own and cruise in a boat above a certain size/price point, there is no question that the mono has become a dinosaur"

Below a certain size/price point, and/or in some kinds of seas the Mono still holds a strong attraction. I'd rather live aboard a 32' monohull than a 32' multihull.

And then there is the battle about whether a cruiser is a sailor and vice-versa.... a battle I like to exit with the line that this is called the "Cruisers" forum, not the "Sailors" forum.

Out of curiosity what is your experience with both monohulls and catamarans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 18:58   #313

Boat: Valiant 50

.."Think mono has a 30% to 50% of its displacement locked in the ballast. Read wasted. So, at the outset, a multi is a 30% to 50% more of a boat."

Huh? And you think this because what?

Don't get me wrong,I used to have a 46 ft catamaran. I don't buy into that mono vs multi debate.

For me, multis are great as are monos. Neither are perfect unless they are 100ft LOA with a paid crew of 4 to cater for your every whim.
Old 23-07-2014, 19:48   #314

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Out of curiosity what is your experience with both monohulls and catamarans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... which is not to say that someday I might be discover a 32' multihull that will change my mind. For example, I'm looking forward to seeing a Seawind 1000 someday.

My experience is short periods of liveaboard on a few different 30+ monohull boats, and having visited about a dozen or so different liveaboard designs, many with the occupants onboard.

Additionally, I have years of fulltime "cruising" experience aboard almost every classification of camping trailer and motorhome.

I've sailed a few small sport catamarans, and am looking forward to sailing a cruising-class catamaran, as well as the day when I am able to live aboard one on a full-time basis.

Most catamaran liveaboards and sailors I've visited have both catamaran and monohull experience, but they universally have agreed, in my experience, that the multihulls provide a superior experience.

I've visited several smaller designs (and their occupants) including Gemini, PDQ, and another similar model that I can never remember but is just like the PDQ. Though clever in design and possessing a number of nice features, I would not want to liveaboard one of them on a full time basis.

I recently have seen a 35' model that I was very close to bidding on, but it was sold before I did... honestly, I did not think it would sell... I need to look up the name of that one, it was amazingly comfortable for it's size.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 20:35   #315
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
... which is not to say that someday I might be discover a 32' multihull that will change my mind. For example, I'm looking forward to seeing a Seawind 1000 someday.

My experience is short periods of liveaboard on a few different 30+ monohull boats, and having visited about a dozen or so different liveaboard designs, many with the occupants onboard.

Additionally, I have years of fulltime "cruising" experience aboard almost every classification of camping trailer and motorhome.

I've sailed a few small sport catamarans, and am looking forward to sailing a cruising-class catamaran, as well as the day when I am able to live aboard one on a full-time basis.

Most catamaran liveaboards and sailors I've visited have both catamaran and monohull experience, but they universally have agreed, in my experience, that the multihulls provide a superior experience.

I've visited several smaller designs (and their occupants) including Gemini, PDQ, and another similar model that I can never remember but is just like the PDQ. Though clever in design and possessing a number of nice features, I would not want to liveaboard one of them on a full time basis.

I recently have seen a 35' model that I was very close to bidding on, but it was sold before I did... honestly, I did not think it would sell... I need to look up the name of that one, it was amazingly comfortable for it's size.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls