Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-11-2011, 12:58   #31

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Asking Price vs Selling Price

Hey Casual, I had the $12 K, didn't have $23 K. I couldn't offer any more. It that OK with you ?

Old 17-11-2011, 16:10   #32

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

I'll take your word for it, but that is not how you stated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
It's funny. In 2008 I Knew of a Catalina 30 for sale, I think an '87, nice boat. Asking price was $23K. I offered the Broker a low ball $12K. I didn't have the money anyway. I was countered with $17K, a fair price at the time, I thought. The yard eventually got it three years later. It had filled up with about 18 inches of water, ruined the interior, possibly the motor. Some guy bought it for $3500. The poor owner got nothing at all.

Old 17-11-2011, 19:37   #33

OK, Yeah, I could have been more clear. I will lay it out. I asked the broker, Gray and Gray Yacht sales, what the owner wanted for Absolut, the 1987 Catalina 30. Annie, the broker, said "$23,000". I said, "Annie, I only have $12,000. Give the owner my offer please. I would offer more, but that is all I have". She said she would bring the offer to him. She said she always tells the owners all offers, reasonable or not. I gave her my number and asked her to call when she knew his answer. She called me two days later and said the owner countered my offer by lowering the price to $17,000, which I have stated was a reasonable price. I was prepared to make good my offer of $12,000, should the owner have accepted it. He did not. I had nowhere to go as I only has $12,000. I thanked Annie and that was that. I bought an Irwin Citation 34 the following year. I paid $11,000. Three years later I stopped in the yard where the Catalina is still sitting, and asked what was up with it. I was there on business anyway, and thought I'd ask. The secretary in the office said it was sold that week for back yard storage. She explained what damage has happened to the boat and that the new owner paid $3500. I had four good Catalina stanchions at home and dropped them off (free) to the new owner, whom I haven't met, because over the years several had been bent on his new boat. Eddie, the new owner, has been working on her on and off this summer. I will drop in and speak with him sometime. I have my own boat to fix and it's fun to chat with another guy buried under boat chores. End of story.
People who give low offers didn't make the sailboat market bad for sellers. It's bad everywhere for everything and everyone. My own 401K looks like a 101K. I collect antique weapons and have lost 20% of my investment in them in 4 years. The two retirement plans I have covering 2/3 of my working career, have both gone bankrupt. I will be getting 80% of what I should of, if I'm lucky. I'm surely in a better place than those poor Enron employees that lost it all. If you think it's entertainment for me to laugh at the folks who are trying to sell in this market, you are mistaken. The grim reality when a boat is sold and the owners will not recover enough capital to restart their life on land, is an ugly thing. Its tough out there for us all and it cuts both ways. When I sell a gun I paid $17,000 for, for $11,000 I promise you, the new owner isn't gonna hang out and buy me a beer and I'm cool with that too. I hope I haven't ruffeled too many feathers here. It was not my intent. My best and my thanks, to all that read this long explanation.
Old 17-11-2011, 19:58   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I dont get it ..what is wrong with being curious about weather some one would take a lot less for something even though they have no intention of buying..what if they have a friend that would give less than what is advertised so they throw an offer out there to test the water..It would be wrong to say that you would buy it and then tell them a time you will be there and then not show up..DVC
Old 17-11-2011, 19:59   #35

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Depends on the boat, obviously, but offer 30% less (give or take 5%) as a general rule in today's market. And stick to it. If they say no, there will always be another boat.
Old 18-11-2011, 06:19   #36

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We all have stories,My only point is Unless you're ready to jump in don't go near the water.You're statement clearly said "I,didn't have the money anyway".
Life's not SO BAD were all sitting here on expexsive computers with electricity food and trowing money away on boats,I LOVE IT.Have a Great Life
Old 18-11-2011, 08:28   #37

OK ! Hopefully this is cleared up. I meant no disrespect to anyone here. After all, this is a FORUM. A forum is where people debate different points of view. To return, however obliquely, to the topic : Asking vs. Selling Price, it is clear you can offer whatever you want and you can ask whatever you want. The market is in awful shape right now. Boat prices are all over the place. There is a measure of stability to this market based on condition.
Owners of boats that have been updated and maintained at great expense will command a greater price. Those boats who have not been maintained, whose systems have reached the end of their life expectancy, will not have as great a value. 30 year old teak decks, rusty Perkins and Volvo's with 6000 hrs. on the clocks, 25 year old standing rigging, and water damage, all drop the price. Boat cleaned up beautifully without a trace of dirt in the bilge still cannot mask a greater age and wear.
Location: If you are in Washington and the boat of your dreams is in Florida....
So there is a factor here. If I can go to the boat purchase it, and move it, no problem. If it represents a real problem to take possession, because I'm not skilled enough to sail it from Hawaii back to San Diego.... It won't matter if it sells for $3.
While much is discussed concerning the plight of owners forced into the corner by financial circumstances, not much is said about buyers in the grip of boat lust and foot-itis, buying more boat than they can possibly support. If you do buy in that frenzy, you will suffer far greater that just wishing you had a bigger boat.
I gotta go, will add more later !
Old 18-11-2011, 08:36   #38

Absolutely,Remember this the sharp increase in sales of consumer goods in the early 2000's created a false market that all Manufactures benefited from.people had more disposable income prices raised not in relationship to value just easy money,Personally any thing I lok at used today Boats no 1 I subtract 20% fom the asking price before I start negociations.All those houses that sold for a million 6 7 yrs ago now worth 30% of that,all other goods are in the same paramaters.Profit the Manufacture or Retail seller made is diregarded .Start from real Cost.
Old 18-11-2011, 08:45   #39

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
Location: If you are in Washington and the boat of your dreams is in Florida....
So there is a factor here. If I can go to the boat purchase it, and move it, no problem. If it represents a real problem to take possession, because I'm not skilled enough to sail it from Hawaii back to San Diego.... It won't matter if it sells for $3.!
Just as importantly, beware of Southern boats that have been sitting in the sun. There will be U/V damage to woodwork, sails, running rigging, etc. All other things being equal, boats in Florida and other sourthern states are almost always in worse condition than boats in areas like the northeast.

You should take the sun into account when making an offer on a Florida boat.
Old 18-11-2011, 09:01   #40

Not trying to beat a dead horse,I drove 3500 miles from fl to the NE as far as Mass,worked backwards to NC looking at boats.I looked at 8 boats from Mass to MD,With 2 exception's These boats showed more wear than my 32 yr old C&C which has been in S FL for 24 yrs.All of the far N boats had extensive gel coat crazing and l the hulls were not as bad but no different fom Fl Boats in most cases teak well that is another issue.I did expect to see less wear and detioration on the Northern Boats.As far as rigging ect goes properly protected sails hold up anywhere in my judgement,running rigging should be replaced every 3 or so years depending on use,standing rigging every 10 years regardles of area or use.Not trying to beat a DEAD HORSE.One exception I will acknowledge is the dry sailing of Northern boat hauling in OCT and relanching in April sure prevents Osmosis in most cases.All this about Boats I guess we will never solve the World Problems
Old 18-11-2011, 09:55   #41

Well Cool ! I think we've covered the weirdness of how there are circumstances where you would offer $20K for a local boat in fair condition and only offer $15K for the same boat in better condition that is landlocked 750 miles away. Lastly, there is boat " density", for lack of a better term I can think of. There are a lot more Catalina's out there than Oyster's.
As Casual has correctly pointed out, there is a value mirage out there that has been supported by easy money. When the easy money ended, it ended. Many folks are hung out to dry by the real value which has returned to a market that has more boats than buyers. This is where we are today.
Lastly, about what you "should" offer on a boat. Obviously, to offer what you can't back up, is a waste of everyone's time. That aside, offer anything you like. No harm done. If you offer $27K on a $112K boat, that's been sitting on the hard for 6 years and hasn't even had an offer in two years, the owners might be happy for it. Even if they turn it down. Best to all. Tom
Old 18-11-2011, 12:07   #42

One more observation,and then no more from me,Used boats will dry up,our economy is on the mend,not mended,Very few new boats being built used boats beingg neglected.Despert sellers having repos Ones that have real boats are hanging on to them,It will take 10 years to return to a pre 2000 stable economic sitituation in the Boat Market.And that 's it from me,Sail Safe All
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28   #43

Boat: Beneteau/343

Here we are in 2013. What are people's recent experience with relatively recent boats ( less than 10 years old ) and in the $100-$150k asking price range?

Is there typically room for negotiation?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

usa economy is not on mend..lol unless you think that destruction means mended....and used boats will not dry up, as it were. there will always be used boats unless marinas crush those that fall behind in rent, instead of lien sales.

what was written here in 2011 is still true. only now there is another boat on the market--a 1982 ct 54 that is actually cruise ready and was the cruising boat of friends of mine. he died, she has to sell. is lovely. in san diego. not too bad for price. find it and buy it...lol..no hints to be given.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54   #45

Boat: Beneteau/343
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
usa economy is not on mend..lol unless you think that destruction means mended....and used boats will not dry up, as it were. there will always be used boats unless marinas crush those that fall behind in rent, instead of lien sales.

what was written here in 2011 is still true. only now there is another boat on the market--a 1982 ct 54 that is actually cruise ready and was the cruising boat of friends of mine. he died, she has to sell. is lovely. in san diego. not too bad for price. find it and buy it...lol..no hints to be given.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=76973&url=

Nice boat but out of my price range, skill level, and even wants.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: