Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 20:39   #16

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Ask me about Taleisin...

With a boat like that, one becomes her curator rather than owner. A wonderful blessing and a terrible curse at the same time.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 20:44   #17

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
With a boat like that, one becomes her curator rather than owner. A wonderful blessing and a terrible curse at the same time.
So far the good parts have out weighed the bad parts. We've met many like minded people (admittedly they are from a different generation). The only bad part (which is actually fun) is the learning cliff.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 21:38   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
Taleisin does have a sculling oar.
Can you post pictures or info of the oar? I rebuilt my sculling oar a second time and it could still be improved again. I move at 1.5 knots with the same effort of rowing a dingy at 3-4 knots. It's possible to go 2 knots. I can also make progress against 20 knots of wind.

So while maybe your technique is bad, I also question if the sculling oar on this boat is actually an optimal design as my old sculling oar was definitely noticeably less efficient but I had used it for years not realizing or caring too much.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 22:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Can you post pictures or info of the oar? I rebuilt my sculling oar a second time and it could still be improved again. I move at 1.5 knots with the same effort of rowing a dingy at 3-4 knots. It's possible to go 2 knots. I can also make progress against 20 knots of wind.

So while maybe your technique is bad, I also question if the sculling oar on this boat is actually an optimal design as my old sculling oar was definitely noticeably less efficient but I had used it for years not realizing or caring too much.
I will take some pictures and measure it next time I get an opportunity to do so. I believe Larry was able to get 2knots out of it. Personally I was only able to get 1knot out of it and it was very hard work. It was also the first time I tried it, under the supervision of an expert.

I believe that there's quite a few parameters that comes into play. I'm sure given enough time I'll probably get reasonably good at it, but I'll have to spend enough time practicing first. It does feel pretty awesome sculling a boat that size though....
Old 15-01-2016, 00:30   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

The Yuloh thread from earlier this week had some good info on this type of propulsion.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:24   #21

Quote:
She handles very well, I've had more than one old salt tell me that she's exceptionally well balanced. Learning curve is probably an understatement, it's more like a learning cliff. Having said that, there's a few basic skills that we need to master under sail and then our skill should build on it's own with time.

I will say this, I'm reading through a lot of old sailing books to fill my head with ideas. I spend a lot of time thinking about how to deal with situations. I've also been told that in theory I will learn better seamanship because of the lack of engine. It's certainly not for the faint of heart as things can get exciting very quickly, I'm sure this will get less frequent with more experience. I do love every bit of the experience though!

Just sail as much as you can and live on the boat and travel, the more you sail the more you learn and the faster it will happen. Just like riding a bike, really, how can you learn and gain experience if you don't get out and do it?? Have fun while you can.

James
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:44   #22

@cshrimpt #3

Here you go. Ms Google knows everything:

Straight forward -even if it IS Welsh :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:58   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've heard of people being able to sail into or out of a slip, but that takes practice.
Hey, I'm that guy! I used to sail into and out of my slip at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour in Kingston Canada. I would sail on/off anchorages and docks all over.

You wouldn't consider putting a motor on a laser would you? So whats the difference? I've sailed on/off on a 72' brigantine...it was SOP. You learn to back the sails, kedge when needed, throw super long lines ashore, etc. I've also done it on my C&C25, Pearson 30, Hunter 35.5 etc.

IMHO, its actually easier than using the engine. Engines are noisy and make you go too fast. I've seen enough sailboats under power plow into other boats, docks, rocks, and even my boat...having an engine did not stop them from ramming stuff. At least under sail they might have been going slower, or able to hear the guy yelling "hey, you're about to crash you dummy"!

Having said that, I'm also a big fan of inboard electric motors. Still silent but gives you that little boost when you need it. I know there are electric haters/bashers here...so let the flaming begin!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:03   #24

Well, as someone who was self taught, or anyway, bungled along until he learned to avoid some mistakes, I would say sailing is great but reading about sailing - and particularly boat handling in close quarters - which will mostly be written from the assumption you have an engine - will be more valuable than just going out to wing it - you have to do both, but reading is huge - it's fun to discover things by yourself of course- or sometimes not fun at all or worse - but if you really want to learn fact there is no substitute for reading up.
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:21   #25

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
So far the good parts have out weighed the bad parts. We've met many like minded people (admittedly they are from a different generation). The only bad part (which is actually fun) is the learning cliff.

A few years ago we saw Humphrey Bogart's boat Santana at the start of the TransPac. She had restored (at great expense) after years of neglect. Her history with Bogie and Bacall certainly added to her interest. The owners were quite proud of bringing her back. Now apparently they are investing much more to bring her to even higher standards.

http://www.newportri.com/newportdail...95665a8db.html

To my mind and I sure many cruisers, Taleisin is if greater historic interest. I'm glad she never was seriously neglected and that she found her way into hands that honor her history and original intent.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:18   #26

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Keeping her in her original state does seem like a worthy endeavor. You'll just have to work harder in learning how she handles and build up your skills. I've heard of people being able to sail into or out of a slip, but that takes practice. You'd have a bit of a learning curve to over come as you won't have an engine for back up.

Every Yachtsman should practice sailing into their slip. Had to do it successfully on many occasions when the engine died on my Irwin43.
For my Offshore Yachtmaster I practiced retrieving a MOB under sail, so I was ahead of the game; however for MOB the wind is always on the bow which makes it easy to stop. Wind can come from anywhere in the Slip so not as easy, but still doable; although, not single handed in high winds.
Our Harbormaster would not permit sailing up the river and docking under sail, so I always launched early and hauled out late spring and fall. With no other boats in the water I practiced and became adept.
For my Yachtmaster I had a Farr40 with tiller and it was simple to control the boom by hand. With the Irwin43 I could reach the end of the Boom by standing on the back seat of the cockpit and work the boat into the slip.
I came into an unfamiliar marina in Chesapeake for repairs under sail and docked in the first unoccupied slip. I was quickly informed it belonged to another and I had to move. Backing out is different to say the least.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbrain View Post
Well, as someone who was self taught, or anyway, bungled along until he learned to avoid some mistakes, I would say sailing is great but reading about sailing - and particularly boat handling in close quarters - which will mostly be written from the assumption you have an engine - will be more valuable than just going out to wing it - you have to do both, but reading is huge - it's fun to discover things by yourself of course- or sometimes not fun at all or worse - but if you really want to learn fact there is no substitute for reading up.
I always say there's no substitute for experience. I'm a bit different to how most people learn, I need to have a wide base of knowledge to draw from at all times. The only way for me to acquire that is to read. Once I have the knowledge I find it much easier to get into the act of doing. Doing is VERY important though, it's the only way to actually know if you've got it all right. Another thing is that when I'm out "winging it" and I have nothing to draw on, it becomes very hard to come up with solutions to problems quickly.

Keep in mind though that the inner working of my own mind is rather strange...
Old 15-01-2016, 12:35   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaveingaMax View Post
Congrats on the lovely boat! She has feed many dreams including mine.
I was very happy to see her on the mooring as I was kayaking in Auckland. Be even more happy to see her out there...
another congrats on the boat. we were priveledged to have coffee on board her with Lin in Poole, UK some years back when they were moored in our YC marina for a while
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Hey, I'm that guy! I used to sail into and out of my slip at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour in Kingston Canada. I would sail on/off anchorages and docks all over.

You wouldn't consider putting a motor on a laser would you? So whats the difference? I've sailed on/off on a 72' brigantine...it was SOP. You learn to back the sails, kedge when needed, throw super long lines ashore, etc. I've also done it on my C&C25, Pearson 30, Hunter 35.5 etc.

IMHO, its actually easier than using the engine. Engines are noisy and make you go too fast. I've seen enough sailboats under power plow into other boats, docks, rocks, and even my boat...having an engine did not stop them from ramming stuff. At least under sail they might have been going slower, or able to hear the guy yelling "hey, you're about to crash you dummy"!

Having said that, I'm also a big fan of inboard electric motors. Still silent but gives you that little boost when you need it. I know there are electric haters/bashers here...so let the flaming begin!
I've given the electric route some serious thought myself. What it comes down to is that it's likely to alter Taleisin in a way that is against her spirit. That and the huge cost associated with it.
Old 15-01-2016, 12:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
Every Yachtsman should practice sailing into their slip. Had to do it successfully on many occasions when the engine died on my Irwin43.
For my Offshore Yachtmaster I practiced retrieving a MOB under sail, so I was ahead of the game; however for MOB the wind is always on the bow which makes it easy to stop. Wind can come from anywhere in the Slip so not as easy, but still doable; although, not single handed in high winds.
Our Harbormaster would not permit sailing up the river and docking under sail, so I always launched early and hauled out late spring and fall. With no other boats in the water I practiced and became adept.
For my Yachtmaster I had a Farr40 with tiller and it was simple to control the boom by hand. With the Irwin43 I could reach the end of the Boom by standing on the back seat of the cockpit and work the boat into the slip.
I came into an unfamiliar marina in Chesapeake for repairs under sail and docked in the first unoccupied slip. I was quickly informed it belonged to another and I had to move. Backing out is different to say the least.
I agree that everybody should know how to do it and do it regularly - we're sailors after all. The problem is the fun police. The world has gone so mad with being PC and wrapping everything up in cotton wool. I'm starting to sound like one of those grumpy old men sitting on his porch yelling at the hippies to get off his lawn!