Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-11-2013, 19:02   #16

Re: ASA versus US Sailing?

I decided to take an intensive learning to sail course next month in the Caribbean with Offshore Sailing/Colgate in BVI for winter vacation. I'll let you all know how it goes. It promises great fun and warm weather while it gets cold in northern California in December.

Old 01-01-2014, 21:28   #17

Good luck with your sailing course in the BVI. I have taken many of the ASA courses and think the courses are excellent; I have had excellent instructors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisernewbie View Post
I decided to take an intensive learning to sail course next month in the Caribbean with Offshore Sailing/Colgate in BVI for winter vacation. I'll let you all know how it goes. It promises great fun and warm weather while it gets cold in northern California in December.

Old 01-01-2014, 21:40   #18

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

I took ASA 103 from Bob Diamond at Spinnaker in Redwood City. I though he was a wonderful instructor and I learned a lot. I took ASA 101 from Modern Sailing in Sausalito. The winds and tides were more of a challenge up there. I would recommend both because the Bay is so different in these two places.
Old 01-01-2014, 22:26   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

ASA will not recognize US Sailing courses at all. I am not sure how it goes the other way. I am in the process of completing ASA instructor courses and can vouch for ASA. US Sailing as others have said, is good too. What is REALLY important is the instructor and the school. Does the school really want to teach you or just collect a fee? Will they share with you over and beyond course curriculum because they are good passionate teachers or just quickly get it over with and take short cuts and collect a fee. This does happen. Ask for references.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00   #20

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
...What is REALLY important is the instructor and the school. Does the school really want to teach you or just collect a fee? Will they share with you over and beyond course curriculum because they are good passionate teachers or just quickly get it over with and take short cuts and collect a fee. This does happen. Ask for references.
Yes, I took an ASA 105 Costal Navigation Course in Minneapolis where the instruction did not cover the material very well. The instructor was more interested in puffing himself up. I checked online and saw that others said there were issues. I should have taken the course from Sail Away Sailing which I took ASA 104 from on Lake Superior and found Joan Gilmore to be a very good instructor.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31   #21

Boat: Club Sailor; various

I don't have any experience with USS but the ASA program worked for me. Maybe I was lucky with good instructors; maybe I just studied really hard.

It might make a difference if the school also charters boats. If they do, it's in their best interest to make sure you're competent to charter from their fleet when you finish your certifications.
Old 02-01-2014, 16:10   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post

It might make a difference if the school also charters boats. If they do, it's in their best interest to make sure you're competent to charter from their fleet when you finish your certifications.
Unfortunately, the opposite is often true. Many charter companies only offer instruction for the purpose of booking charters. Some, not all, could careless about the quality of instruction as long as it books a charter. As an instructor, Ive fought this battle many times.
Old 02-01-2014, 17:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Unfortunately, the opposite is often true. Many charter companies only offer instruction for the purpose of booking charters. Some, not all, could careless about the quality of instruction as long as it books a charter. As an instructor, Ive fought this battle many times.
Thats' scary if you're the boat owner. At our club/school you start with 28s and as your confidence and competency improves you can move up the food chain. Must work; they've been doing it for 50 years.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:20   #24

To those students or instructors that have experience with both programs, I assume there is a lot of overlap between the various texts but is there anything that stands out as being different?

I'm not looking for test answers, only a discussion about topics or depth of material.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46   #25
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
Agree with Maytrix. I hold certifications but charter companies don't inquire. I include them on my resume but don't specify ASA or US Sailing. They are more interested in the experience. Sailing is the easy part compared to experience operating the boat.

Good luck

They don't enquire because you said you had it.

Dave
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44   #26

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

As per the op, which cert is better for the eu or mediterranean.. the only ones that qualify from the u.s. are US Sailing bareboat cruising or ASA bareboat chartering (104) and I'm not sure of which coast guard courses do. From what I understand though, the ICC is preferred when it comes to sailing courses. This is only what I have read and understand from my armchair vantage point, but I've been doing a lot of homework as we are in the process of booking a med charter. ASA courses are on our short list. If it were'nt for wanting to charter in the mediterranean, none would be on the list at the moment.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:59   #27
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
As per the op, which cert is better for the eu or mediterranean.. the only ones that qualify from the u.s. are US Sailing bareboat cruising or ASA bareboat chartering (104) and I'm not sure of which coast guard courses do. From what I understand though, the ICC is preferred when it comes to sailing courses. This is only what I have read and understand from my armchair vantage point, but I've been doing a lot of homework as we are in the process of booking a med charter. ASA courses are on our short list. If it were'nt for wanting to charter in the mediterranean, none would be on the list at the moment.

This is not factual

Firstly only Croatia legally requires competency certification , no other EU nation mandates certification above which your own country requires. Some like to see an ICC in the absence of anything, but its not a legal requirement, ( it might be a requirement of a charter company but thats different and you can usually exchange experience instead) .

Note that chartering in another country and sailing to Croatia, is not the same as "chartering" in croatia.

Croatia accepts a huge range of certification including , many US Sailing and ASA certifications not just 104. Note that the Moorings seem to want 104 ( and have incorrect prerequisites list as well. ( very dubious document) . see http://www.croatia-yachting-charter....ng-croatia.pdf for the full list acceptable to croatia, ( not in alphabetical order)

As to certs, its worth noting that Croatia actually gives quite a bit of credence to the RYA shore based YM cert, which can be done online without ever stepping on a boat!!!!

Note while its recognises Uk MCA commercial qualifications, such as master and OOW, its does not recognise similar US certificates.

The above document should be used when talking to charter companies as some have dubious reasons( like owning schools) for a particular requirement,

Note that if you do do all ASA courses upto 104 ( or equivalent ) the ASA/USS Sailing will issue you with a "International proficiency certificate for Yacht Helmsman Navigating in Mediterraneam Waters", which seems to be the closet thing to a US ICC.

why the US just doesn't sign UN res 40 and institute a proper ICC system is beyond me, or not sign re 40 and US Sailing/ASA offer ICCs. ( by direct assessment)

NOTE: if you are a US yachtsman, with a VHF in EU waters, you need a proper FCC VHF license ( and ships radio license as well ) but you know that as its "foreign waters"

Note that in french waters ensure that your flares are in date, and your life-raft is within its service interval. Despite what people say, the French safety requirements do apply to all pleasure boats within its waters. But the hot button requirements seem to in-date flares and liferaft ( from personal experience)

dave
Old 08-01-2014, 10:19   #28

why does so much of my homework fail? It seems everything I've been reading is the governements requiring some level of certification for greece and croatia, the two countries I've been doing the most homework on. And of course, as you would think, the charter companies are requiring you to have the certs.
So, if the charter companies are requiring it, I don't have a choice.. and if it's the law of the country, better to have one in place than not.

Please, tell me, what is the very basic certification, if one is required, by the governement of Greece and Croatia.

I'm sorry for posting incorrect information in the post above.. but help me get to the bottom of this. I'm tired of doing all this homework.. especially if it is for naught
Old 08-01-2014, 10:24   #29

I had seen that pdf file before on Croatia.. and am I correct that basics certs will only get you ok'd to 6 nm off shore?... that may be why I said the more advanced certs were required.... "at a distance up to 6 nm from mainland or island coast in internal waters and territorial sea of the Republic of Croatia and waters accessible from the sea, under the condition of holding an appropriate national or foreign certificate for operating radio station if there is a radio-telephone VHF station or a GMDSS-VHF station on the boat or yacht."
Old 08-01-2014, 10:31   #30
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

what I was trying to separate for you is the legal requirements in the Med from the charters requirements or just plain internet myth.

Greece requires that charter companies ( thats is Greek charter companies) must only charter to competent individuals. There is a means by which a charter company can self certify , i.e. issue a competency cert based on your experience. Some charter companies take the easy way out and just demand a certain level of recognised certification.

Yes the more basic certs are limited in distance from the Croatian coast. But unless you intend going into international waters on your Croatia Charter , i.e. go to Italy, you may find the lesser certs adequate.

Just remember, that list is the legal requirement, above that argue with the Charter company. Some just take a lazy way out.

But if I was considering doing any certs from the ground up, you could consider a RYA YM shore based cert ( again argue with the charter company)

As I said don't get the legal requirements mixed up with the charter companies requirements, the first is fixed the second can be argued. Don't do anything more then can be argued with the charter company.

Tags
asa, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: