Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 17:34   #1

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina
ASA sailing lesson

Well i start my lesson 8/22-8/24...very excited long time coming. I know after i finish the course i will have access to use there boats which will give me time to get the feel and knowledge. As far as to what size boat i go back and fourth small 19 ft - 22 ft then i can trailer the boat which brings up another issue i have a VW Golf i would have to get a bigger vehicle pu truck, Jeep some thing to pull it.... another expense.... I live in Wilmington NC there are plenty of lakes to sail and I'm very close to the ocean. My long term dream in about five years is to live aboard my boat...so at that point in time i would get a bigger boat. So should i hold off and buy some small boat were i can get a slip or buy something bigger I'm thinking 30-35 ft. So i will thank every one now for any in put because sooner than later i will be the proud owner of a sail boat a life long dream ! Thank you to All
Mark
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:34   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Re: ASA sailing lesson

Congrats on getting into sailing!
I am from Wilmington originally and my family still lives there. I go back a few times a year. I have a friend in Wilmington that has a 60' monohull, French custom... beautiful...
Anyway, he used to be an avid racer in his younger years. He is always interested in crew. When you finish your class hit me up. He may be interested in having you aboard. It would be a great opportunity to learn a ton from an "old salt" (his words).

He keeps his boat at wrightsville beach:
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 22:33   #3

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina

Hog hunter....thank you very much i will definitely look you up when i get thru the class...i always go to Wrightsville beach down were the big hotels are as a rule it's never to busy down there but then again i get there a 7am and leave by 11am...going there tomorrow...thank you again I'll be in touch
mark
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 06:22   #4

Boat: TBD

In July I took ASA 101 and 103, just finished 104 this last week, and am taking the Nav class in October. Maybe all that is a bit of overkill, but I've got two kids and we are hoping to retire and sail off into the sunset next year, so I want as much information as possible.

We've had a Hobie Getaway for about 10 years, but no experience on bigger boats. Our first big test will be in about 8 days, when we are spending a weekend on a 35' mono without an instructor.

After that, we have one last test left, a week on a cat in December for the ASA Catamaran class. If we don't all hate each other after that, it'll be all systems go, I think.
Old 13-08-2015, 09:46   #5

Boat: Niagara 35

I always strongly recommend getting an inexpensive used boat in the 22-27' range soon after you're done your lessons and then sailing the heck out of it. (Here's an article on choosing your first boat and another one about what it will cost)

You'll learn a lot about sailing and seamanship, but you'll also learn about boat maintenance and what your personal style of cruising is all about.

You can then sell the boat for about what you paid for it and step up into a larger cruising boat with knowledge and confidence.
Old 13-08-2015, 09:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
In July I took ASA 101 and 103, just finished 104 this last week, and am taking the Nav class in October. Maybe all that is a bit of overkill, but I've got two kids and we are hoping to retire and sail off into the sunset next year, so I want as much information as possible.

We've had a Hobie Getaway for about 10 years, but no experience on bigger boats. Our first big test will be in about 8 days, when we are spending a weekend on a 35' mono without an instructor.

After that, we have one last test left, a week on a cat in December for the ASA Catamaran class. If we don't all hate each other after that, it'll be all systems go, I think.
Sounds like you have a great plan and are actually doing it instead of just dreaming. Good on you! How old are the kids?
Old 13-08-2015, 19:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Sounds like you have a great plan and are actually doing it instead of just dreaming. Good on you! How old are the kids?
My kids are 9 and 10 now, so 10 and 11 by the time we get moving. I also have a 19 y/o that is currently planning on taking a semester or two off college and joining us for a season.
Old 13-08-2015, 20:42   #8

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
I always strongly recommend getting an inexpensive used boat in the 22-27' range soon after you're done your lessons and then sailing the heck out of it. (Here's an article on choosing your first boat and another one about what it will cost)

You'll learn a lot about sailing and seamanship, but you'll also learn about boat maintenance and what your personal style of cruising is all about.

You can then sell the boat for about what you paid for it and step up into a larger cruising boat with knowledge and confidence.
+1
That's the step we are in now. Buy relatively cheap, make some mistakes with it so you don't make them on the big boat when the day comes. Fix the mistakes so you learn how. And it's much funner when the mistakes don't cost you much.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:25   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I always advise students NOT to rush out and buy a boat (they rarely listen to me). Take full advantage of the boats you will have access to and get as much as experience on as many boats as possible before you choose a boat for yourself.

A small inexpensive boat is not a bad idea though. I did buy a Hobie 16 early on, but continued so sail on many other boats. By the time I bought my first mid-sized boat (37'), I was already an instructor and charter captain. The only thing I learned a lot about from owning was boat maintenance! I spent a lot more time sailing before I bought a boat...then I spent a LOT of my spare time doing maintenance (which is certainly useful knowledge if you plan to to cruising). A small simple boat of course requires very little maintenance.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:30   #10

Quote:

Only class I would add to that plan is ASA 106 (Advanced Coastal). It is essentially the hands-on practical for all the prerequisite classes...and includes night time operations...for many of my 106 students this has been the highlight of the class. I usually try to choose a time and place where we are likely to get a bit of sloppy weather and some commercial traffic.
Old 14-08-2015, 20:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I always advise students NOT to rush out and buy a boat (they rarely listen to me). Take full advantage of the boats you will have access to and get as much as experience on as many boats as possible before you choose a boat for yourself.

A small inexpensive boat is not a bad idea though. I did buy a Hobie 16 early on, but continued so sail on many other boats. By the time I bought my first mid-sized boat (37'), I was already an instructor and charter captain. The only thing I learned a lot about from owning was boat maintenance! I spent a lot more time sailing before I bought a boat...then I spent a LOT of my spare time doing maintenance (which is certainly useful knowledge if you plan to to cruising). A small simple boat of course requires very little maintenance.
Interesting. You and I fully agree that almost nobody should run out and buy a 37' boat without getting a fair bit of experience first so that they buy the right boat for them and their cruising style and aren't overwhelmed by the systems, maintenance, and docking shenanigans.

However, I think people should buy a cheap, small "starter boat" to learn no for a couple years (like a Catalina 27 or San Juan 24), but you are saying that they should "Take full advantage of the boats you will have access to and get as much as experience on as many boats as possible before you choose a boat for yourself." What boats will they have access to?

Perhaps it's because I learned in a mid-size city instead of a major metropolis, but there was very little in the way of rentals or clubs. It was basically friends, racing, or buying.

Most people don't have friends with boats (and some of those aren't very good mentors), racing only teaches a small subset of skills, and rentals and clubs may not be available (though are a good option if they are).

I have immense respect for your experiences, so I'm not arguing, just asking for more detail.
Old 15-08-2015, 02:46   #12

Quote:
Interesting. You and I fully agree that almost nobody should run out and buy a 37' boat without getting a fair bit of experience first so that they buy the right boat for them and their cruising style and aren't overwhelmed by the systems, maintenance, and docking shenanigans.

However, I think people should buy a cheap, small "starter boat" to learn no for a couple years (like a Catalina 27 or San Juan 24), but you are saying that they should "Take full advantage of the boats you will have access to and get as much as experience on as many boats as possible before you choose a boat for yourself." What boats will they have access to?

Perhaps it's because I learned in a mid-size city instead of a major metropolis, but there was very little in the way of rentals or clubs. It was basically friends, racing, or buying.

Most people don't have friends with boats (and some of those aren't very good mentors), racing only teaches a small subset of skills, and rentals and clubs may not be available (though are a good option if they are).

I have immense respect for your experiences, so I'm not arguing, just asking for more detail.
As you point out, boat availability depends heavily upon venue. If you are not in a venue with boat access then you are on your own, but if you are, then take full advantage of it. As the OP states he will have access to small boats:

"I know after i finish the course i will have access to use there boats which will give me time to get the feel and knowledge. "

I think that sailing clubs, racing, sailing with friends, crewing on deliveries/regattas/rallies, chartering are great ways to build experience because you get exposure to many different types of boats, ideally in many different venues & conditions. You also get to glean knowledge from more experienced sailors and its fun!

I don't think buying a small boat is a bad idea, but rushing out and buying a bigger boat I do think is not ideal. One, its really about satisfying consumeristic urges, not sailing. And, a small boat is a better learning platform. I've had students who initially learned on small boats and those who've never sailed anything but big boats with instruments...the small boat sailors are noticeably better sailors. Ideally learning aboard your own smaller boat can be combined with the above access to other boats.

So, I'm not opposed to modifying my statement to say " Don't rush out and buy a [larger] boat ". ;-)
Old 15-08-2015, 07:21   #13

Thank you for the clarification. I completely agree.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-08-2015, 16:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Only class I would add to that plan is ASA 106 (Advanced Coastal). It is essentially the hands-on practical for all the prerequisite classes...and includes night time operations...for many of my 106 students this has been the highlight of the class. I usually try to choose a time and place where we are likely to get a bit of sloppy weather and some commercial traffic.
We had planned to include it with our Cat class in December, but the instructor there and our instructor here both said that class makes more sense for people with more hours on the water, so we'll see if it makes sense for us at some point in the future.
Old 16-08-2015, 16:57   #15

Quote:
We had planned to include it with our Cat class in December, but the instructor there and our instructor here both said that class makes more sense for people with more hours on the water, so we'll see if it makes sense for us at some point in the future.
Yes, it is intended for students with more experience, but it does work as a combination class with 114.

My suggestion, is to build some more experience, until the skills from the other classes become routine, then do 106.

Tags
asa, sail, sailing