Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2011, 12:35   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
ASA Question Bank

Hi all,

The admiral is preparing for her bareboat certification from water sailing">blue water sailing school and is nervous about taking the written tests. Are there resources online that might have a sample question bank? The questions in the books do not really cover all of the material. Any help or advice wouldn't appreciated.

Thanks Will

Old 13-05-2011, 13:33   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: ASA question bank

I'm pretty sure the test questions are taken directly from the review questions at the end of each chapter. There shouldn't be anything on the test that is not in the book...

Old 13-05-2011, 14:03   #3
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: ASA Question Bank

It's a pretty safe bet that if the ASA wanted you to have the questions before the test, they'd have sold you the answers before the test. And it pretty much stands to reason that if the "resources" you're asking for exist, they'd pretty much invalidate the test, regardless of who provided you with the questions.

I suspect that the failure rate on ASA tests is so low that it's not going to be profitable for anyone to develop an online "sample question bank." The ASA doesn't make money by flunking people and therefore keeping them from taking the next level class. I taught an ASA basic keelboat class to a group of high school kids about ten years ago. Not a single one flunked it because the answers are all right there in the book. Let me say that again: "The answers are all right there in the book."

Regardless, I doubt that there are many folks on this forum who would want to share the waterways with someone who would have to enlist the help of a "sample question bank" to pass an ASA test.
Old 13-05-2011, 14:14   #4

Boat: Under contract. Closing soon.

I agree with those who have already posted. All of the questions and answers are in the book and the test doesn't stray from the book. The only "gotchas" are the one or two instances where the question on the test is asked differently than what's in the book. That is, don't memorize the questions and answers. That will be confusing. So long as the concepts behind the questions are understood, the Admiral will do fine.
Old 13-05-2011, 14:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau/343

I just took that test and it does follow the book pretty closely. She should make sure she can answer the questions at the end of each section and take her time and really read the troubleshooting section. Make sure she understands the books language on the use of a marine head. Take time and really read the section on navigation.

Also, the instructor should be pretty thorough in preparing her for the test.

Best advice, read the book, enjoy the class, and relax.
Old 13-05-2011, 14:34   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Regardless, I doubt that there are many folks on this forum who would want to share the waterways with someone who would have to enlist the help of a "sample question bank" to pass an ASA test.
I would be one of those few. In my profession I have learned that there are a lot of very smart people who couldn't pass a test to save their lives, for reasons ranging from test anxiety to didn't finish school and don't read well or have a hard time with reading comprehension.
Old 13-05-2011, 19:34   #7

Boat: Tartan 30

The two guys I took ASA104 with, BOTH came about 2-3 questions away from failing the test... That's not a reflection of the instructors either, the teaching was 1st class.

We were given study guides that equated to: "if you can read this, you can pass the test", and yet some people still have a hard time passing... I think it's partly due to language gaps, learning to sail "on paper" is hugely dependent on memorizing the lingo. Most people can grasp the concepts just fine...

Even so, I wonder how many ASA schools are passing people that shouldn't be passed, just to keep everybody happy. I suspect the failure rate for the test is low mainly because the Schools have a vested interest in making sure their students pass.

Anyway...I can understand wanting a practice test, most testing situations have some form of practice test. The review questions are as close as you'll get though, unless your instructors give you a study guide. Just learn the material and do your best. You'll probably pass

Tags
asa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: