Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 13:02   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: As a late starter am I too old to do serious cruising?

One need only turn to the words of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow!

A Psalm of Life by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow : The Poetry Foundation

The ONLY word of advice I might add is that you should try crewing, say on a trip to Hawaii from SF, to see if seeing nothing but ocean for 3 weeks appeals to you. Sometimes when folks, who have not cruised before, plan long trips right out of the gate, they find the day to day of nothing but blue ocean not quite what they had bargained for. I hope that does not sound negative or discouraging. Just that, for what you are dreaming, a little more sea time out of sight of land will help solidify your plans. Latitude 38 should have a section for folks just like you looking for crew positions to help them realize their dreams.

In fact here is a current posting on CF! Re: Hawaii to Los Angles - Nice 54 - August 2015

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 13:16   #62

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I liked the comment about sailing making you healthier. That has always been my experience. Spent a couple of months in the San Juans last summer working on my boat. Ate crab, spot prawns, oysters and salmon. Lost 20 lbs and felt great at 66. When I lived aboard, many years ago, I was very fit. I think doing this will make you younger and live longer.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 14:53   #63

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Just to continue the same theme, I'm 75 and quit sailing 10-12 years ago. We both retired two years ago and got kind of bored so we bought a project 35 ft. Pearson. Fourteen months later we have compltely restored her and will be leaving for the Bahama's on her in late Sept. Or early Oct. your never too old as long as you feel you can do it.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 15:48   #64

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Sailing is the fountain of youth. When Joshua Slocum completed his circumnavigation, they say he was 10 years younger than when he started.
Personally, the more time I spend at sea, the younger and stronger I feel.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 19:21   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

My dad is 87 & still races with his 2 sons in a 26 footer. I sailed from NZ to your hometown with a 75 yr old who would still go up the mast on his 65ft schooner even tho he had crew, did another trip with him when he was 82 & he was planning another when the big C claimed him at 83. Lotsa older guys & gals than you out there doing it. Cruising has provided some of the best experiences of life ( some terrifying too) but it's all worth it
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 20:31   #66

Location: on board, San Carlos, Mexico and destinations beyond
Boat: Cal 3-46

I retired at 55, as a real greenhorn cruiser. I do not have deep pockets, and recently completed a very rich year of liveaboard learning — dockside, fixing broken stuff and cruising — in the Sea of Cortez. Four pivotal learnings: 1. Retire now (or very soon?) Like planting a tree, the best time to do something like this is "___ years ago". The next best time is "today". IF you can, do it now or soon. Is this the biggest stretch from your (my) comfort zone? Yes, perhaps so. But I'm VERY glad I did.2. Buy the boat where you want to start cruising. Warm climate sure is nice. For me that was San Carlos, near Guaymas Mexico. From SF (or for me Vancouver BC) a long trip down for a first passage, or series of hops through turbulent and COLD water.... why do that? We got that part right too. Sea of Cortez? Caribbean? 3. Start online, learn while looking, enjoy the process, choose well, get a survey and get the right vessel for you. There is no perfect boat. I think we got lucky; I well could have chosen a PLACE to start where there are lots of boats, flown down there , rent a simple apartment and get started... Laugh alot. 4. As you look and once you choose and buy, ask for help, and if she needs lots (or even a modest quantity) of work, do it on the hard, NOT dockside while living aboard. /// For your consideration only, hope some of it may be helpful.
TrinitySeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 21:47   #67

Hi, you are never too old. I am 70 and am planning a blue water cruise - my first big one - early next year. Mike
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 22:30   #68

Wow, thanks for all the encouraging remarks.
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 23:43   #69

Boat: Adams 40

Jim,

I'm the same age as you and I'm currently looking for my next boat so I can go cruising again. But we are just youngsters...

There's a well known and renowned yachtsman here in Australia who is well into his eighties - actually he's closer to ninety than eighty. After last year's Sydney to Hobart race (which is generally considered to be the toughest blue water classic around) he decided to retire from racing. He's done 40 odd Sydney-Hobart races.

Going sailing stops me from going crazy. Get out there and enjoy yourself.

David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 04:01   #70

Boat: BAV 47 Sloop Fractional
Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Yiannis

Never too late for the sea element and especially for sailing
Sailing is forgiving mistakes so you always will have time to react, unless .... you never react
Go ahead, it's an experience and a place to be.
Captain Yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 05:34   #71
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the encouraging remarks.
Only thing I would add is the caution re pinning all your hopes on a circumnavigation... Seems EVERY newb posting on sailing forums these days is planning on sailing around the world, straightaway...

;-)

The reality is, a very small percentage of lifelong sailors and cruisers will ever complete a circumnavigation... In my observation, only a fraction of cruising sailors are really cut out to enjoy offshore passagemaking, it's not at all uncommon for very experienced sailors upon finally stepping onto the customs dock in places like Bermuda or Tortola upon the completion of their first ever passage, to proclaim "Glad I finally did it, but never again, coastal cruising is fine with me..."

Given your lack of experience, I don't see how you can know with any assurance at this point that you'll be among the comparative few who will really relish the sort of passagemaking that a circumnavigation involves... So my advice is simply to start sailing, and figure it out from there. Don't think too far ahead in terms of setting a goal of a circumnavigation, for I'm afraid the odds favor the possibility you might ultimately be 'disappointed' in a failure to attain such a lofty goal... given your location, I'd suggest you'd at least want to get a passage to Hawaii under your belt, prior to fully committing yourself to a circumnavigation... Even simply getting aboard a boat from the Bay Area that is doing the Baja Ha-Ha, would at least give you a taste of what offshore sailing can be like...

Bottom line is, if it really is "Serious Bluewater Sailing" you're seeking, there are a great many ways of doing that that are more immediately attainable, and quite possibly far more challenging, than a Milk Run World ARC rally...

Like heading up to Alaska, for instance...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 05:45   #72
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

As a 73 year old I certainly don't think your age is a factor. I deduct that you have plans for extended cruising. I bought my first sail boat two years ago and after taking the basic ASA courses have taken increasingly longer cruises to build up experience with the aim to start on the Pacific puddle jump starting in January next year.
I would recommend that you decide what cruising you want to do and get the right boat now. Getting to " know your boat" takes time but is essential to safe cruising. If you research the books by Jimmy Cornell he has some excellent information that will help you decide what the " right boat" should be.
Finally, decide on who you want to be sailing with. I am no advocate of single handed sailing because of the inherent risks. Unless you are blessed with a wife who shares your passion of sailing having someone to share the experience of cruising to distant shores is as important as having the right boat.
Best of luck to you,
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 05:46   #73

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I agree with canning the circumnavigation idea. You don't need to circumnavigate to challange your skills and knowlege. How about crossing through the canal to the Atlantic and exploring the gulf or even going on to the East and doing FL and the Bahama's. By the time your through with that I think your urges will be satisfied!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 06:06   #74

Haven't read the responses so forgive me if this has been stated... Age DOES matter. I began sailing in in my late 30s and I still had perfect eyesight, hearing and a robust body capable of lots of hard work, lifting etc.... more strength and stamina.

I bought my boat and began to learn about the sea and sailing and after 6 years entered the Marion Bermuda race in '91. That was a real test and at the time in my early 40s I was not phased by it.

Now 25 years on, same boat, but I am well aware that in the last several years as I arrived at the mid to early 60s... I was not the "physical" man I was in my 40s. My eyesight has degraded and I need glasses for near and far, my hearing has degraded and I use hearing aids (which help but do not restore hearing acuity to what it once was).. and my strength and stamina is quite diminished. If I do the sort of physical things I did back in my 40s... I pay the price in very sore muscles and back pain which can last weeks! So I've given up doing a lot of Spring prep work and pay the yard... even for things like lugging my dinghy OB over to the shop.

I think my sense of balance is off and I also think my memory is not what it was. Whereas I would not be concerned to single hand off shore and did so many times back then... I would not do so now. In fact, if I did sail off shore I would do so with a strong younger sailor as crew. For coastal cruising I am fine with all the navigation enhancements and power assisted things like windlass and winch bits (powered winches).

Of course there is much enjoyment in coastal cruising and for passage making you can pick up crew and then once you are "there" you can handle coastal work.

Years ago... '92 or there abouts... I arrived in Bermuda one Fall sailing with my GF who was not much of a sailor. It was a pretty rough passage. A day later a Hinkley 40' arrived with an couple of old timers. They were pretty beat up as was the boat. I thought it appeared as if this was too much for the older couple.

On the passage to the Antigua they had to hand steer when their AP died... And for several days this is very difficult at best... for a crew of 2. Again, I thought this was too much for a couple their age.

Accept your physical limitations and work WITH them and you still can enjoy and get a lot from sailing.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 07:33   #75

It's not your age, it's your health, and your attitude. I know people who are 70, who look and act like they are 40, and I know people who are 40, who look and act like they are 70.

Tags
cruising