Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 18:43   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Are You Training-Up Your Young?

I have a rock solid faith in Jesus Christ but I want my kids to "Own" there own faith not just follow me to church because that's what we do...the same goes with sailing...I want them to develop a love for it that hits a fever pitch...or at least one that if I were to kick the bucket tomorrow they would not want to see the family boat sold and would make sacrifices to see to it.

What are you doing to teach your young the love of sailing? What has been some of the memorable times that hooked them?...What didn't work that you can warn me about?

Thanks

FWIW... Mine are 15, 17 & 19 all girls

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:00   #2

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
What are you doing to teach your young the love of sailing?
Interesting question on both counts… the grandson is decidedly active in our congregation most Shabbats, and if the wind looks cooperative at all he’s demanding to go sailing, and getting pretty good with proper knots and knowing which sail is used when…
Old 13-12-2009, 19:01   #3

My advice would be:

- Start 'em young. Not sure this helps you given the age of your kids! But it might help others... At an age where the thought that sailing is optional does not even cross their minds, it's just an accepted part of life. Get in in their blood. Then don't pressure them when they're older - just let them find their own way once they're old enough to decide. My kids went away from boats for most of their teenage years but came back with a vengeance in their early twenties - returning to their roots with a new-found passion that was their own, not forced on them by their parents.

- If you can't do that, then it's difficult to "teach" them a love of boats. Just show them how much you love it and how much a part of your life it is. And try to mix with other people with kids around their age who also love sailing. Like you say, you can't force it on them, but you can discretely open their eyes to it.

- Or the failsafe option - find 16, 18 and 20yo single boys who love sailing and introduce them to your daughters...

Things that worked for us: making them part of the working crew from as young as possible - don't let them be passengers: give them jobs to do that they can handle and a few that they can't quite handle, again from a very young age. Kids thrive on responsibility and achievement, and developing strategies for managing failure is also great for their development.

Things that didn't work - forcing them to stay involved when they're old enough to have other things they want to do. That way lies a brick wall.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:10   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I never like the word "training" and I generally reacted badely to it...

To me it implies something fascist, something forced and proscribed without personal election or alternative choice.

In another light, "training" might be the single most certain way to insure children will hate sailing. Who's to say they won't find something better to do, and adventurous passtime that it theirs and theirs alone? Then they will "own" it. I have gone on many sailing trips with my daughter, more adventurous in nature and scope than most, but only when she freely wanted to go, often bringing a friend.

Religion might be like that too.
Old 13-12-2009, 19:23   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
For me it's been providing memories and bribery. Youngins love attention. Earlier we sought out the playgrounds of the cheasapeKe. Then we sought out ice cream. We have done beaches, swimming holes, great walks, mancala, chess, checkers etc.. We spend time together. We have shared dolphins birds and turtles rocks berries and bones. I think they remember fondly these days on the boat.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:36   #6

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
My three are grown. Even though they were exposed to sailing and gunkholing throughout their youth, it only took with one of them. She has a 100 ton commercial captain's ticket.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:37   #7

Quote:
I want them to develop a love for it that hits a fever pitch...or at least one that if I were to kick the bucket tomorrow they would not want to see the family boat sold and would make sacrifices to see to it.
Well ... why?

What if they just find something they love on their own? Why not just support them in finding their own dreams? And it seems to me that if they're already 15, 17, and 19, it's probably a bit late to "train" them into anything anyway.

Check this out ...

http://www.youtube.com/v/HCVvoL_F5gA...olor2=0x6b8ab6

(Couldn't figure out how to embed it here ...)

regards,
Mike
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:45   #8

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
We have a good start with our five kids so far. Solid faith with a deep love of the Creator and a love of sailboats. Ages three to thirteen. The littlest one often asks, "Can we go sailing?"
The oldest one asks, "Can we go out today?" when we go to the boat on the weekends. One of the five is a bit more interested in horses than sailing, but still loves sailing. For her, we have started riding lessons.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:53   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Both my kids have been sailing since before they were born. We have pictures of my wife pregnant on a boat with each of them. Last summer at the age of 11 and 12 I signed them up for sailing camp with our local yacht club. They liked that but it was more the social seen then the sailing. I try to bring freinds of theirs anytime I can. One heartening comment from my daughter to my wife was. "lets not give Dad a televsion for the boat fro Christmas. When we are on the boat we do fun things we don't need a tv." They didn't enjoy the long passages on the Baja Ha Ha but short days of sailing and swimming are something they love. They are really looking fo0rward to going back to La Oaz in January.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 08:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Make sure you give them plenty of stick time. Also, when the 11 year old gets to teach the 5 year old magic happens.

Also attention spans are relatively short. Make sure there is plenty to do just like on a road trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080049.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	11713   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080052.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	11714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080059.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	11715   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080060.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	11716  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 08:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You can't force a kid to like anything. The key is to provide them with fun times doing that activity. If they have fun, then they will love it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 08:40   #12

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Too cool, Ex-Calif! What a great illustration! And so very true

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 10:17   #13

Boat: Island Packet 380
Paradix has it right. I would only add - Take them on a charter to the carribean. If, that doesn't hook them, I don't know what will. We have 2 girls 17 and 13. 17 year old LOVES sailing, great social scene for her, has completed ASA 101, now takes the boat out with her friends on calm days without mom & dad in sight. 13 year old is still in the phase of indifference. I do agree that they all seem to go through a phase of disinterest and you are never sure how that will change in the future, so don't assume because they don't like it now, that they never will. 13 year old wants to take ASA 101 next summer and "see" if she likes it.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 11:10   #14

Boat: Cal 2-46
My kids are 4 and 7... I wouldn't say they love sailing yet but the certainly don't mind it.

At the younger ages I think making it fun is the key. We are going get them into optis this summer I have a feeling that will really help. They love snorkelling and fishing which will help with our cruising plans.

I try not to get too stressed when they are around which I think will help...although I am not always sucessful. I do realize that fun for them and my attitude will determine their feelings towards it.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 11:19   #15

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Your all lucky parents and they are lucky kids to have you. Being a close family is the key, then you will want to share anything life has on offer.