Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 12:07   #16

Haha Nice one Anjou!

I don't see many wooden boats for sale here in the states, but I got on a couple New Zealand boat selling sites: Buy New & Used Boats, Sell New & Used Boats - TradeABoat New Zealand and Trade Me – New Zealand online auctions and classifieds. Browse, buy and sell online on trademe.co.nz, where there are many beautiful older wooden boats in my price range. I would like one, and do know a few things about wood working, but where to begin inspecting one before buying? I'm sure I can find a book some where and study the subject.
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 15:03   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I'm not afraid of wood. I too like working in wood. Its dealing with a used wood boat that I'm afraid of. This fear comes from my experiences with my first 3 boats, which were wood. The first one was bought while it sat on the bottom of Frenchmans bay. I learned a lot about wood working on that one so it was a good thing.

My second one was a 1947 Northsea fish kutter, a massive 38 foot beast built of oak on oak. We are talking 2 inch thick planks on sawn frames that were 3 inch thick and 7 inches deep. The stem was about 8 inches wide by 12 inches deep and about twice as long as I was. The problem with her was that the previous owner had let her fall apart, and she was rotten from end to end. I never did get her in the water and I'm glad I did'nt. Anyone who wants to see her should go to Canadas Wonderland up highway 400 and see the pirate show. That what she ended up as after I lost my job and gave her away.

The third one was a 30 foot cutter, cedar on oak frames. This one had had the bilge filled with concrete n steel scrap. The entire insides were rotted out, and the upper works were rotten too from water leaking in from the destroyed canvas deck covering. That adventure ended more or less the same, lost my job and gave her back to the original owner. ( I do still have some parts of her as keepsakes) I think I mentioned having to sister 32 consecutive pairs of ribs on one of my replys to Charlies posts. Also about repairing the keel top with gallons of west system to keep the keel from disintigrating into dust.

But by the same token I've seen some wood boats fresh built that are works of art. I think that if I could have one recently built of wood, with the interior completely and readily accessible I might give it a try. However, for my purposes, steel is the way to go for me. At least for the hull. Deck house n mast on Espie are wood and I like working on it. I think my problem was that I was overwhelmed by rot and didn't have the wherewithal to spend the time and money to fix the problems faster that new ones were found or developed. Right now I am looking at scarfing in new material to the base of Espies' deckhouse all around. I have the skill set, the tools and for now a job that will allow me to do the repairs that i need. But the repair is a small job with a defined start and end. Not an ongoing battle that I can't win.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:02   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang Charlie....I have known you quite a while now and have called you the "One sentence man" as you are characteristically short with words.

I have to say that is the most beautiful thing you have ever shared.

You may not know this about me but I did buy a wood boat...a 53' William Gardner ketch prior to our purchase of our current boat....it disappeared with all hands from the radar screen on its delivery voyage from San Diego to Seattle...It is probably running drugs somewhere.

I love wood.....Owning neither has been easy...as you know the rest of my story.

Life has a way of putting you where you never saw yourself being....Carry on my friend you are an inspiration...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	12194  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:54   #19

Whats the best way to check for rot in a boat? I'm sure the bilge and areas around seams and deck hardware would be good places to start, but thick paint can hide that stuff. Just bring a drill and put little holes in it??? or the hammer tapping method..
Old 28-12-2009, 18:10   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Tapping with the plastic end of the screwdriver will tell a lot. If it sounds dull, a poke with the sharp end will find rot regardless of paint thickness. Places to look include inside of any cabinets or lockers, under the settees. Beneath the engine. At the chainplates and around any deck fittings. Inside the cockpit seats and under the cockpit sole if you can get at it.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 18:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Dang Charlie....I have known you quite a while now and have called you the "One sentence man" as you are characteristically short with words.

I have to say that is the most beautiful thing you have ever shared.

You may not know this about me but I did buy a wood boat...a 53' William Gardner ketch prior to our purchase of our current boat....it disappeared with all hands from the radar screen on its delivery voyage from San Diego to Seattle...It is probably running drugs somewhere.

I love wood.....Owning neither has been easy...as you know the rest of my story.

Life has a way of putting you where you never saw yourself being....Carry on my friend you are an inspiration...
No, I never heard that story. I hope ya got your funds back...
Old 28-12-2009, 20:39   #22
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Not 'scared', just 'over'.

I love looking at older wooden boats, admire the heck out of them and understand that for the right person they can be a labour of love...

For me, my misspent youth working (endlessly) on old Chris Craft have cured me of any personal nostalgia for a wooden hull, or much exterior wood for that matter.

Our fiberglass hulled boat consumes PLENTY of time, trust me! There is, after all, no such thang as boat that "isn't" a project boat!

I view INTERIOR wood in a totally different light and have lots onboard and am adding more as we work on her in the form of paneling and trim.

Oh Joy is beautiful, but she needs someone like you whom has the time and inclination to give her the tending she needs and deserves.

Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:30   #23

Damn, Sara.... it's hard for me not to listen to "hotties" like yourself.
Old 28-12-2009, 21:53   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
well damn, a hottie huh?

*grin*

you flatterer you!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 23:35   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Many of us don’t spend enough time on our boats to keep up with a wooden one.

I often go 3 or 4 months between boat visits...I recon if I had it close enough to get to her more often it would/may be possible to keep up with the maintenance.

Seems like Charlie is doing a very comprehensive job and to a high standard.
The pay off should be very low maintenance.
Added to that, his feeling of pride in a job well done is priceless.

If you like the "feel' of a wooden boat, but with the maintenance of FG, cold molded seems to me to be the way to go, if you can afford the initial $.

I love wooden boat as well, but certainly more for the romance of them then the maintenance.

Keep up the good work Charlie.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:27   #26

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
I like preparation and education. Would I ever own a wooden boat? Sure, IF:

1. I was certain that I could devote adequate time & funds to upkeep/restoration.
2. IF I could attend classes or have someone train me in the proper procedures for replacing wooden comonents.

It's not something I'd just jump into.

I've already done fiberglass work, so I was comfortable buying a plastic boat. I have the funds and the time to maintain and "catch up" a 25' plastic boat, plus I have proximity on my side, as the boat is walking distance from the house.

You're right though- a wooden boat, properly maintained will live forever. The USS Constitution, and Constellation are proof of that. Someone once mentioned the analogy of George Washington's axe-

"This is Washington's axe. The handle has been replaced a few times in the last 150 years, and the iron head has been replaced too, but this is George Washington's axe."
Old 29-12-2009, 08:34   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
well damn, a hottie huh?

*grin*

you flatterer you!

Well Honey, it's true doncha know
Old 29-12-2009, 08:36   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Many of us don’t spend enough time on our boats to keep up with a wooden one.

I often go 3 or 4 months between boat visits...I recon if I had it close enough to get to her more often it would/may be possible to keep up with the maintenance.

Seems like Charlie is doing a very comprehensive job and to a high standard.
The pay off should be very low maintenance.
Added to that, his feeling of pride in a job well done is priceless.

If you like the "feel' of a wooden boat, but with the maintenance of FG, cold molded seems to me to be the way to go, if you can afford the initial $.

I love wooden boat as well, but certainly more for the romance of them then the maintenance.

Keep up the good work Charlie.
You definitely have to be close to one of these old girls. Visiting every 3 or 4 months won't cut it. I agree with Cold Molded. It's the closest thing to FRP that you can get with a wood boat.
Old 29-12-2009, 08:37   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BubbleHeadMd, I reckon I've always just jumped into things but that's me. That's the way I've always learned what I know. Nature of the beast I suppose.
Old 29-12-2009, 08:49   #30

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Well, although you opted for the steeper learning curve, you obviously had proximity, time and funds, which are the other necessary criteria to care for a wooden boat.

I think your boat is beautiful, it's a part of nautical history, and I'm glad you're doing what you're doing.