Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 17:58   #91

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I have owned two wooden boats one in the 1960s a 19 ft pennant day racer and more recently the last classic six meter designed by Sparkman and Stephens 1956 all wood boat planks and ribs. Whe3nb my son in law and I bought the boat in BC Canada it was in need of work. We estimated( along with a professional freind who once as head of the yard that redid her years ago) about $10,000- I personally doubled that estimate-As we started taking things apart more and more had to be done-after $80,000 we had a great wood boat better than new. veed planking-new planks where needed-32 new or partial micro composit wood rib pairs-ring frames-new deck beams and deck-faired balast-new wood rudder-super paint job-new floor beams and floors. The boat with very little mantanence still looked good after 7 years and we sold it for $80,000. No problem getting insurance or slip. An old wooden boat can be strong look great and aside from brightwork cause only moderate issues with maintanence untill they get to the point where they need rebuilding- then a very skilled person or one with money to burn has to show up to save the boat. Back east some friends of mine owned a small family yard and shipwright shop specializing in wood boats. more than once I was told if I wanted a wood boat they would rather build a new boat than redo an old one that has many years on it -if it was not very well built and maintained as they striped away things the true nature of damage often well beyound what is on surface or even noted by experts pops up. This is what happened on our six meter and turned a $10,000 prject into $80,000 and you often don't get hit with that full on untill ytou are in too deep-often the reason for abandoned dreams and wood project boats.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:36   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I'm hoping Oh Joy is as new when I'm done. She should be considering I'm taking her down to the bones and replacing many of those.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 20:01   #93

At least for what it may be worth, or not worth. To disallusion people about a value is concerning to me. Wooden boat people seem more paranoid than ever before, based on the responses here. Why are you so defensive?
Gnitfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 20:10   #94
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnitfar View Post
At least for what it may be worth, or not worth. To disallusion people about a value is concerning to me. Wooden boat people seem more paranoid than ever before, based on the responses here. Why are you so defensive?
I'm not defensive, neither is Charlie or the other folks(if I may speak for them). I merely report the facts as I've experienced them.

As to surveyors, both out east and here on the Lakes I've never had to make more than two calls to get an accredited survey. Go figure.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 20:16   #95

It is stories like eyschulman tells that makes me scared of wood. I enjoy sailing, not working on a boat.
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 20:25   #96

Yes, facts that relate to you and Charlie, and some other folks may ring true, for both of you, but an overall consensus suggest different! I dare say, that every major insurance carrier of pleasure boats, here in the USA, view wooden boats at a higher risk, than do boats constructed from fiberglass. Please feel free to challenge this, maybe they can adjust your rate.
Gnitfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 21:52   #97
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Wooden boat people seem more paranoid than ever before, based on the responses here. Why are you so defensive?
I wouldn't say paranoid, but maybe a bit cranky about generalizations and apt to be sensitive to profiling that may not be as accurate as it's made out to be.

Look at it this way;

The last buggy maker and the guy he sold his last buggy to were prolly a bit cranky about all the annoying, noisy, stinky autos clogging up the roads, and were inclined to make sure that that buggy was not unfairly described in comparison to the said autos...

and now the only (almost) buggy maker makes beautiful buggys for a very select market of buggy aficionados, who have a real love of and appreciation for the venerable buggy as a mode of transportation. never mind the horse... lol

and those who drive buggys band together to compare their buggys and compete with them and to enjoy the whole buggy experience.

of course at the end of the day most of them roll their buggys into trailers... and haul them off with autos... whoops, sorry wrong slant there ; -}

anyway the point has been made and remains true, a wooden boat, like a buggy, is not for everyone, but they can be a thing of beauty and a great pleasure to those that own them as well as those that just watch them in all their glory.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 13:14   #98

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Yes, facts that relate to you and Charlie, and some other folks may ring true, for both of you, but an overall consensus suggest different! I dare say, that every major insurance carrier of pleasure boats, here in the USA, view wooden boats at a higher risk, than do boats constructed from fiberglass. Please feel free to challenge this, maybe they can adjust your rate.
While we hear what you say, no one else responding to this forum has had trouble getting insurance for their wooden boat. While I know one forum doesn't represent everybody I would expect an "overall consensus" to at least contain someone who reads this thread. Particularly when it involves every insurer in the US.

Are there any insurers out there that would like to chime in? Is there really a risk to wooden boats that is not already priced into the sales price and therefore the value of the boat and insurance?

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 20:09   #99

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As to availability of "offshore crusing" insurance the controlling factor is the volume of boats with a particular type hull - wood, metal, FRG that determines basic insurance rates. Low production volume boats are riskier as the database is smaller so they would imply higher risk due to unknown history volume.
- - Age of the boat is also a major contributor to high insurance rates just like age is a determinant in higher medical insurance rates. The days of intelligent individual determination of vessel risk by a insurance company are over. Now the boat is simply looked-up in a massive database by a key-punch clerk and the corresponding premium assigned.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:10   #100
ABK
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter, H26, 26 feet
Re: Are You Scared of Wood ?

I watched a friend take care of his wood fishing boat for years... Like all boats it was a never ending project, except his project was so much more labor intensive. Lap Strake design looked great but it needed to be in the water to swell it shut. Until then it took on water. I understand that it was probably due to poor maintenance before he owned it.

It seemed like too much work.

The Yacht Club I belong to has a rule that there are No Wooden Boats allowed. I never asked why as it didn't concern me, but I think I know a few reasons anyway.

My apology if my terminology is incorrect.

I do admire those who own and care for wood construction and I have seen some eye catching yachts constructed of wood.

My first boating memory was in the 1950's on a classic Criss Craft runabout. It was just beautiful.

Alexander
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21   #101

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
I bet that's what the old Irish munks said when they introduced wooden hulls instead of ox skin

/Hampus
At least you could eat the ox skin if you wound up wrecked on a deserted island.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 10:28   #102

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
pirate Re: Are You Scared of Wood ?

Why is everybody freaked out about wood boats? Some of the best sailing I ever did was on an old rotten Alden yawl. The best fishing boat I ever had was an old rotten double ender that died in the boatyard in Westport, Wa.
My buddy has the oldest wooden cruiser that I know of around here - launched in 1895 and still going strong.
My 6th sailboat is over 70 now and sure it has a few rotten spots in it - so do I!
BIG DEAL!
The only thing that scares me about owning a wood boat - especially mine, which is all teak and copper rivited - is that I'll have to sail her back to Thialand to find a good deal on the teak! (not that I wouldnt mind a trip to Thialand)
I love wood! It's real. It lives and breaths (well it used to) You can fix it anywhere in the world. If you shipwreck on a desert island, you can cut it up for firewood. In my case, when I'm too old to sail anymore, I can supplement my income by selling off the antiques that are on the boat and the teak planks and beams to outdoor furniture fabricators. Junking out the copper fasteners should pay the rent for awhile. My bronze binacle & compass would buy groceries for a month or two.
Try that with your fiberglass boat!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 10:50   #103

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABK View Post
The Yacht Club I belong to has a rule that there are No Wooden Boats allowed. I never asked why as it didn't concern me, but I think I know a few reasons anyway.
Does that rule also include boats built in ply/epoxy or the other variations. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:14   #104

I think most of us LOVE  wooden boats. However, we do not want the work involved in a wood boat. We have fiberglass boat & deck. We watched our neighbor in La Paz sand, clean, varnish, repeat for days then do it over because the varnish they got wasn't good. That was just the deck!! We were exhausted just watching! We do have a token tiny wood outboard bracket that we lovingly varnish . We have no fiberglass issues (no delamination,etc) to deal with (& if you don't hit things there seems there are no repairs) so we just sail, anchor, have sundowners and watch others work. Wood boats are awesome and feel & smell so good- unless rotting- but we don't have energy to do so. Thanks to those of you who do have wooden boats that allows us to see & feel the beauty that wooden boats have...so our job is to offer cold drinks to you in return for the beauty after your hard day of work!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 12:09   #105

I ain't scared of wood.

And not just because Ive been a carpenter,among my other skills,and not because I hate the smell of fiberglass along with the itchies...

How can you buy a nice sound vessel like this-for this price...

same age as me ;>) and still kicking

1959 Hermansons Seagoer Yawl Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

if it ain't wood?

a little cheaper than a s++++y little apt on the wrong side of the tracks,???

Varnishing is like massaging an old woman...

Both the massaging and the after effects are well worth there time well spent.

Then again I like driving my Jag too.1996 XJ6 VDP -2000 dollars and running well at over 150 mph-got her for a song because of all the same naysayers who scoff at old wooden boats like old Jags.

Take advantage of ignorance -I say,and enjoy everything no one else wants-

because there scared.

ps-dont let the cat out a the bag or everyone will want a wooden boat ...

and drive a Jag

please show me something in the same ball park thats fi-be-glass?

you cant even if ya think ya can try-ever.

and as one of the best quotes ever come with...

If God wanted us to make fibreglass boats-why didnt he make fiberglass trees?
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote