Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 14:24   #286
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Here in Panama, I am moored inside Fort Sherman and surrounded by dozens of forts, with Fort San Lorenzo right here, which was the Spanish fort conquered by Henry Morgan himself. Like I said, there is a lot of history everywhere in the world. Europe cradle of European civilization but the Chinese considered them barbarians nonetheless. Just like Romans considered the Gauls and Kelts barbarians who were only just able to communicate amongst themselves. It all depends who wrote the history book you're reading...
New world Nick , only yesterday as far as I'm concerned history wise.

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 14:25   #287

Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
It will be interesting to hear from Cahlgren.
Sorry for the delay
cahlgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:27   #288
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahlgren View Post

Still no ruling from the Customs Agent. My husband flew to Portugal and the agent will not meet with him (plus today was a holiday). He has gotten the EC Commission involved and she says that she is awaiting their ruling and won't meet with him until then. He will go to the customs office tomorrow and personally bring her the ruling from the Commission that the boat, in fact has been out of the EU territorial waters (12 miles out). Plan B (Spain) may still be an option, as there is still no definition for the 'deadline'.

Just to add to all of the confusion, Jersey states that they are out of the VAT zone and count for resetting the VAT clock for non EU boats, the UK states that the Channel Islands are out of the VAT zone and count for resetting the VAT clock, the EU Commission states that the Channel Islands are out of the VAT zone, but DO NOT reset the clock for the Temporary Importation. They state that going 12 miles out of territorial waters is enough (which we have done). We are getting clarification and getting this in writing. I can't imagine any customs agent agreeing to this - how do I prove this to a French Customs agent? Pinky swear?
The directive is clear , you must go outside the customs union of the EU, the channels islands arnt actually in the EU at all.

Who in the Commission is writing to you, that will be a first

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 14:37   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The directive is clear , you must go outside the customs union of the EU, the channels islands arnt actually in the EU at all.

Who in the Commission is writing to you, that will be a first

Dave
I'm not naming names yet. I will once every thing is over. I will have this guy on speed dial for every VAT check from this point forward, if we aren't busy high tailing it to Morocco.

From the e-mail:

Boats may be placed under the temporary importation procedure up to 18 months. That customs procedure is usually discharged/ended by the re-export of the boat from the customs territory of the EU. This means that the boat must have left the territorial waters of a Member State of the EU within the 18 months period. Sailing a boat to Jersey without leaving the 12 miles zone does not discharge the temporary admission procedure because the Channel Islands are part of the customs territory of the EU.

European Commission
Taxation and Customs Union
Customs Legislation (unit TAXUD/A/2)
Old 21-05-2013, 14:52   #290
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I'm not naming names yet. I will once every thing is over. I will have this guy on speed dial for every VAT check from this point forward, if we aren't busy high tailing it to Morocco.

From the e-mail:

Boats may be placed under the temporary importation procedure up to 18 months. That customs procedure is usually discharged/ended by the re-export of the boat from the customs territory of the EU. This means that the boat must have left the territorial waters of a Member State of the EU within the 18 months period. Sailing a boat to Jersey without leaving the 12 miles zone does not discharge the temporary admission procedure because the Channel Islands are part of the customs territory of the EU.

European Commission
Taxation and Customs Union
Customs Legislation (unit TAXUD/A/2)
Yes sorry , wasnt thinking , the Chanel islands by agreement participate in the free movement of goods , so that while outside the vat area , they arnt outside the customs union.

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 15:00   #291

The 12 mile out thing will be much easier. We just need to find a way to prove it We have a SPOT locater that sends us an e-mail of our position. I wonder if that would be official enough?
Old 21-05-2013, 15:04   #292
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The 12 mile out thing will be much easier. We just need to find a way to prove it We have a SPOT locater that sends us an e-mail of our position. I wonder if that would be official enough?
I would have thought so , yes , I really can't see the Portuguese pushing this much further. Someone has a bee in ones bonnet there and no doubt will eventually get a slap from their superiors or the EU for annoying nice Americans.

Persevere, once they realise your not going to roll over , it will evaporate.

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 15:21   #293

Quote:
I would have thought so , yes , I really can't see the Portuguese pushing this much further. Someone has a bee in ones bonnet there and no doubt will eventually get a slap from their superiors or the EU for annoying nice Americans.

Persevere, once they realise your not going to roll over , it will evaporate.

Dave
We were going for the slap. We contacted any and every agency we could. The US Embassy's e-mails were getting bounced back. We can only guess that her mailbox was full. Even the local Portuguese Embassy was e-mailing her trying to figure out what she was doing!

We did get a little back story (but not the whole story...yet). She had another boat on the hook for VAT and they just up and left Portugal. After the boat left, she went to the marina and checked on the rest of the boats. It seems like she was grasping at straws to get that missed VAT back. Our boat has been put under the care of the marina. I think she was trying to keep us from running like the last boat.
Old 21-05-2013, 15:32   #294
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
We were going for the slap. We contacted any and every agency we could. The US Embassy's e-mails were getting bounced back. We can only guess that her mailbox was full. Even the local Portuguese Embassy was e-mailing her trying to figure out what she was doing!

We did get a little back story (but not the whole story...yet). She had another boat on the hook for VAT and they just up and left Portugal. After the boat left, she went to the marina and checked on the rest of the boats. It seems like she was grasping at straws to get that missed VAT back. Our boat has been put under the care of the marina. I think she was trying to keep us from running like the last boat.
Yes there's always a back story and its always one or two super obnoxious officials , who in Portugal always seem to be women , for some reason, its compounded by the fact they don't know EU vat directives either. I've run foul my self

There was even nonsense last year of one of those ladies requesting a mobo provide a TIR Carnet ( nothing to do with temporary import relief) , yet anyone in the know know that TIR carnets can't be used for means of transport. That one went away too.

They really are a pain. I wouldn't mind if they knew the rules , but they don't and they are arrogant, unique situation in Europe, not seen elsewhere in my personal experience.

Sounds like you have the troops organised and she's on a poor career advancement path !!

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 15:55   #295

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando View Post
if you are put off sailing in the EU, do not come...simple like that

personally, I am a lot more happier with less boats around Dubrovnik area.
I hear ya. You could have saved us pages and pages with this thread...

I think it is pretty straightforward for EU folks, hence the swarms in Dubrovnik. Besides Canadians, I don't see many foreigners in our waters, but at least once a season I meet a Brit, S African, Aussie, etc and I'm always happy to see them. We don't make it any easier for visiting cruisers, so you have to respect those that crossed oceans to visit. Or loaded their boat on a ship....

Here's to quiet anchorages, Orlando...
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:55   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
I really hope so...
So why do we see so few American flagged boats across here.. we don't bite.. unless you ask nicely?
That is the exact problem.. you wait for us to ask
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 20:23   #297
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:

New world Nick , only yesterday as far as I'm concerned history wise.

Dave
Great civilizations of the Incas and Mayas?

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 21:22   #298
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Maybe, but you can fly to those places, and sail in the islands where there is less hassle.
Funny. That's how we feel about the EU.

(We're doing a couple weeks on the west coast of Scotland this summer.)
Old 21-05-2013, 22:32   #299

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

The EC has a list here of definitions:
Customs glossary - European commission

And it appears that the "custom territory" appears to include:
"the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man."
So the Channel Islands indeed do not reset the VAT clock...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:49   #300
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
The EC has a list here of definitions:
Customs glossary - European commission

And it appears that the "custom territory" appears to include:
"the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man."
So the Channel Islands indeed do not reset the VAT clock...
So the customs lady was right after all and not just being nasty for the heck of it... and we all thought the Channel Islands would reset the clock and thus were wrong.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing