Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05   #76
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,937
Images: 1
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Warning This post is not PC

Funny, Ive always found American Women sailing in the Carribean to be quite uninhibited as regards public nudity, but not so sailing in the US. IN the Med Id hand it to the Italians, with the french following close behind. Then wrinkly Germans ( where are all teh non wrinkly Germans??), in the Baltic, well The Scandinavians see so little sun, you'd have to spend it nude when it does shine wouldnt you!! . Nobody wants to see the Brits and Irish nude anyway, so thats that.!!
generally dave, nudity is no big deal in europe. if you want to swim naked you do. most beaches nudity is legal and even if it isn't, unless you go out of your way to bother someone with it, no will say anything.

the us has a hypocritical attitude towards this, as indeed they do to many issues such a nudity and sex (everybody has it - but can't talk about it.). that's a general statement and of course not true for everyone. but as soon as they are outside the us, they can let their hair down.

Here in Denmark it is quite normal for 15-16 year olds to bring their girlfriend/boyfriend home to spend the night. many americans find this abhorrant. I can't figure out their logic. anything they can do in the house in the bedroom, they can do outside behind the trees or inside of the car. why shouldn't they be comfortable while they do it?
__________________

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:17   #77
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Unlike USA waters where I've met quite a few members of the Homeland security force while aboard our vessel, in Guernsey and Spain where we've spent most of our time.... I can't even tell you what a patrol boat looks like, I've never seen one.
No idea about Spain - but odds are strong that Guernsey just like us.......with SFA , except a fisheries protection vessel (to keep an eye on the French ) and the odd tug / workboat for working around the island. Now and again might put a policeman or 2 onboard, likely that as much to do with sunny weather as anything specific ..........Perhaps we should scare a bit easier and then we would need folks on boats with guns from da gubberment to keep us feeling safe? .

But sure as sh#t no gunpoint boardings to check we are pooping in accordance with the wishes of da gubberment .......over here da gubberment leaves things like that up to each of us - the burden of living under the yoke of liberalism is sometimes heavy........if only we were "Free" .........so, if folks can't work out how to poop for themselves or simply like big brother watching - then best not come here.
__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37   #78
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

I hope that soon Holland will be out of the EU too, which would make it an option for the summers... winters are h@ll so that's out of the question
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:10   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,318
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Short answer: No. Cruisers are migrant tourists, not immigrants.

Here's a plan for your consideration (and knowing beforehand that it'll get slammed by somebody..... )

Cross the Atlantic (visits to Ireland & UK optional} then enter the Med.
Spend 3 months port-hopping eastwards.
Lay over 3 months in Croatia or Turkey.
. {Use this time to visit non-EU countries via rail/plane.}
Spend 3 months port-hopping westwards.
Head for the Caribbean. Visit.
Meander north towards Nova Scotia.
Repeat as desired.

To extend your time in the Med while waiting out the EU 90 days per 180 days:
{Similar rules for Canadian or US citizens.}

Turkey: U.S. citizens who enter Turkey with a tourist visa and who wish to stay in Turkey for tourism purposes for longer than 90 days are now able to get a residence permit for tourism for a maximum period of six months. This will allow U.S. citizens to stay in Turkey for tourism for up to a total of nine months. {Source: US State Dept.}


Croatia: You don't need a visa if you are a U.S. passport holder coming for tourist or business trips of less than 90 days within a six-month period. U.S. citizens already in Croatia who wish to remain in Croatia for more than 90 days must obtain a temporary residence permit. Please note that the first temporary stay permit must be obtained from the Croatian Embassy or Consulate in the United States.
{Source: US State Dept.}

While Turkey has its attractions and we loved visiting there, we found Croatia to be (almost) as easy-going for tourists as any EU country. When we return to the Med at the end of this Pacific Ocean sourjorn, we'll base ourselves in Croatia.

Just this humble cruiser's opinion.
Maybe you could refine your plan with the reality that crossing the North Atlantic and port-hopping in the EU between the end of October and the first of April can be quite exciting and dangerous.
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18   #80
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Maybe you could refine your plan with the reality that crossing the North Atlantic and port-hopping in the EU between the end of October and the first of April can be quite exciting and dangerous.
cold yes but hardly dangerous,unless you come pre-equipped with the idiot gene.....................
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Did Italy ever get rid of their cruising tax?

A few years ago they implemented a controversial "tax" for seasonal cruisers, but I haven't kept track of it.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:21   #82
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,741
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
St. Petersburg, Russia?
St. Petersburg is a real hassle to get to and check into. It's at the shallow far end of the Gulf of Finland. You have to stop in Kronstadt to check in, and there is no special procedure for yachts -- you are treated like any ship. The local yacht clubs are wonderfully helpful, and St. Petersburg of course is a magical place, maybe the most interesting city in Europe, so all that might be worth it if you have the time and patience, but you wouldn't check in there just for a VAT run.

Kaliningrad (former Koenigsburg) is also Russia, with the same hassles, but being much smaller (St. Petersburg is the third largest city in Europe after Moscow and London), and much easier to approach, might be more feasible for a visa run.

Like Russia, Norway is also not EU, but is at the far Western end of the Baltic, not too convenient if you are in Sweden, Poland, Finland, etc.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:34   #83
Registered User
 
Katiusha's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post

Short answer: No. Cruisers are migrant tourists, not immigrants.

Here's a plan for your consideration (and knowing beforehand that it'll get slammed by somebody..... )

Cross the Atlantic (visits to Ireland & UK optional} then enter the Med.
Spend 3 months port-hopping eastwards.
Lay over 3 months in Croatia or Turkey.
. {Use this time to visit non-EU countries via rail/plane.}
Spend 3 months port-hopping westwards.
Head for the Caribbean. Visit.
Meander north towards Nova Scotia.
Repeat as desired.

To extend your time in the Med while waiting out the EU 90 days per 180 days:
{Similar rules for Canadian or US citizens.}

Turkey: U.S. citizens who enter Turkey with a tourist visa and who wish to stay in Turkey for tourism purposes for longer than 90 days are now able to get a residence permit for tourism for a maximum period of six months. This will allow U.S. citizens to stay in Turkey for tourism for up to a total of nine months. {Source: US State Dept.}

Croatia: You don't need a visa if you are a U.S. passport holder coming for tourist or business trips of less than 90 days within a six-month period. U.S. citizens already in Croatia who wish to remain in Croatia for more than 90 days must obtain a temporary residence permit. Please note that the first temporary stay permit must be obtained from the Croatian Embassy or Consulate in the United States.
{Source: US State Dept.}

While Turkey has its attractions and we loved visiting there, we found Croatia to be (almost) as easy-going for tourists as any EU country. When we return to the Med at the end of this Pacific Ocean sourjorn, we'll base ourselves in Croatia.

Just this humble cruiser's opinion.
Fyi that Croatia is joining EU in July this year and Schengen community in 2015...
__________________
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:45   #84
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

The biggest hindrance to us going to Europe is the Somali pirates.

That said, the Shengen thing sounds like a PITA too.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:59   #85
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,202
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The biggest hindrance to us going to Europe is the Somali pirates.

That said, the Shengen thing sounds like a PITA too.
True... but a damn sight cheaper....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 15:17   #86
Registered User
 
svmariane's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft
Posts: 1,163
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Maybe you could refine your plan with the reality that crossing the North Atlantic and port-hopping in the EU between the end of October and the first of April can be quite exciting and dangerous.
Hmmmm.... That got me thinking.... Please don't take offense as I believe you speak from conviction, but your comment added to other things I've read on CF (ref dangers of sailing in Mexico for example) sort of tipped the scale towards my posting this little satirical diatribe.

Merchant ships and fisherman have sailed the Med for what, three thousand something years? And didn't men of yore sail the Great Triangular Trade Route from Europe to the Carribean, up the east coast of N. America, then back to Europe?

They had the sun, stars, and a sextant.
....We, cruising yachts, have that plus GPS.

They sailed with hard-earned knowledge of seasonal weather and trade winds.
....We've that plus several electronic means for daily wxr updates to
....include satellite observation systems.

They sailed with a muttered prayer to the wind gods to avoid calms.
....We've (most of us) diesel motors with fuel galore.

They sailed off full knowing 'twas up to them - fix things that break or die.
....We've also that foresight. And that maybe our EPIRB will bring aid.

They were hard men in hard times aboard sailing ships.
....Some cruising yachts serve ice cream at noon on the equator. Have DVDs
....to hand lest somebody be bored. Sail in packs, chatting daily with each
....other for moral support. Go only when and where "others" say it's safe.
....They carry invisible dock lines.

As for me.... If needed then I'll take a bit of cold, some wind and waves and rain, some excitement along the way should it bring me towards new ports and all that they entail. I'm not yet dead.

My apologies extended for those I might have offended. I know - It's the kind of talk that would get me 86'd from the pub. Oh well...
__________________
"Being offended is not the same thing as being right." Dave Barry.
Note: Offense is always taken, never given.
When life hands you lemons..... add gin & tonic!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 15:40   #87
Registered User
 
svmariane's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft
Posts: 1,163
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Fyi that Croatia is joining EU in July this year and Schengen community in 2015...
Oops.... Time for Plan B.
Thanks for the info.
__________________
"Being offended is not the same thing as being right." Dave Barry.
Note: Offense is always taken, never given.
When life hands you lemons..... add gin & tonic!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 15:53   #88
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,741
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Hmmmm.... That got me thinking.... Please don't take offense as I believe you speak from conviction, but your comment added to other things I've read on CF (ref dangers of sailing in Mexico for example) sort of tipped the scale towards my posting this little satirical diatribe.

Merchant ships and fisherman have sailed the Med for what, three thousand something years? And didn't men of yore sail the Great Triangular Trade Route from Europe to the Carribean, up the east coast of N. America, then back to Europe?

They had the sun, stars, and a sextant.
....We, cruising yachts, have that plus GPS.

They sailed with hard-earned knowledge of seasonal weather and trade winds.
....We've that plus several electronic means for daily wxr updates to
....include satellite observation systems.

They sailed with a muttered prayer to the wind gods to avoid calms.
....We've (most of us) diesel motors with fuel galore.

They sailed off full knowing 'twas up to them - fix things that break or die.
....We've also that foresight. And that maybe our EPIRB will bring aid.

They were hard men in hard times aboard sailing ships.
....Some cruising yachts serve ice cream at noon on the equator. Have DVDs
....to hand lest somebody be bored. Sail in packs, chatting daily with each
....other for moral support. Go only when and where "others" say it's safe.
....They carry invisible dock lines.

As for me.... If needed then I'll take a bit of cold, some wind and waves and rain, some excitement along the way should it bring me towards new ports and all that they entail. I'm not yet dead.

My apologies extended for those I might have offended. I know - It's the kind of talk that would get me 86'd from the pub. Oh well...
No offense whatsoever, of course . It's only a conversation on the Internet.

I don't mind sailing in the cold at all -- otherwise I would find different cruising grounds

However -- however -- I do not think that it is mere conformism which leads well-informed sailors to avoid an Eastbound crossing in the high latitudes of the N Atlantic in October or November. At that time of year, in that bit of ocean, the conditions are very often, very, very tough, and often, actually dangerous for a small sailing yacht. Just because everyone knows you shouldn't do it, doesn't necessarily mean that they are all wrong!
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:25   #89
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Sailing eastwards is definitely to be avoided at that time of year. Approaching the European continental shelf can be a dangerous event for a small boat with the possibilities of a big gale up yer arse.

Ps just a point, Norway is in the Schengen area.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:36   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Some seem to imply that the 90 days in 180 in a Schengen area is really only a problem if you make it one, but doesn't it become quite apparent to whatever immigration official you see as you are finally checking out of the Schengen area? Or, do they not really look at your passport and say, "Have a nice trip?" That hasn't been my experience with European officialdom coming and going--I have found them courteous, but extremely vigilant.
__________________

__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.