Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:46   #151

Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Quote:
It's up to you ... your choice. Either you claim to be US resident and abide by 18 months rule, or pay VAT as any Italian resident would, and stay as long as you wish. Can't be one or another depending on the day, situation, VAT/Tax obligations.

No not true, The fact you have a passport does not mean you are a resident. Once you can show you live in the US and not italy , then you are entitled to the 18 month VAT relief.
Both correct ... but not well explained. If one with US and EU citizenship would stay long enough in his EU country of citizenship (or anywhere in EU ... not sure?), one would become resident of EU country from taxation point of view.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55   #152

Boat: Jeanneau 57

And as mentioned earlier in this thread, being in a country for more than 180 days out of the last 360 makes one a tax-resident of that country, applies equally to the EU and the USA (well, the USA is a little bit different, see Tax Topics - Topic 851 Resident and Nonresident Aliens , but essentially the underlying reasoning is the same); so a dual-passport holder staying longer would become a tax resident; and suddenly the VAT and importation status of the foreign boat could become a big issue.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29   #153
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
and they pay tax . Obviously also lots of folks on way less, but even they collectively spend more than you.
Well when it comes to Paying tax, what is it that the 'VAT' stands for at the end of every $ we spend in the EU?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39   #154

VAT = Very Altruistic Taxpayer, only in EU ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:24   #155

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No offense Judy... but did you say this is your 7th year in the Med...?
Could not have been that bad or you'd have left before then.. wouldn't you...
No, I did not say this was our 7th year in the Med. Read it again. I said we will soon complete our 7th full year of cruising. And that we had spent the past 2 years in the region of Turkey/Greece/TRNC. Actually only 87 days in Greece; the rest of that time in TRNC or Turkey. The other 5 years were spent in Caribbean, South Pacific, SE Asia, etc., where dealing with visa issues was extremely easy. The only place visa issues arise is for Schengen countries. And that is the reason we will not be hanging around the Med. I am willing to return to the USA for 6 months (one winter) to meet the Schengen requirements; but I am not willing to do that more than once. So we will be leaving the Med. It just is not worth the stress of trying to adhere to such limited time for so many countries combined.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 14:04   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

No, I did not say this was our 7th year in the Med. Read it again. I said we will soon complete our 7th full year of cruising. And that we had spent the past 2 years in the region of Turkey/Greece/TRNC. Actually only 87 days in Greece; the rest of that time in TRNC or Turkey. The other 5 years were spent in Caribbean, South Pacific, SE Asia, etc., where dealing with visa issues was extremely easy. The only place visa issues arise is for Schengen countries. And that is the reason we will not be hanging around the Med. I am willing to return to the USA for 6 months (one winter) to meet the Schengen requirements; but I am not willing to do that more than once. So we will be leaving the Med. It just is not worth the stress of trying to adhere to such limited time for so many countries combined.

Judy
What about Croatia if you go before 2015 or Montenegro? Some cruisers also say that Albania is becoming more of a cruising destination - just have to find a "port captain" in every port you go to for a safe and enjoyable stay. And people are very friendly. That will allow you to explore Greece and Italy at a more leisurely pace...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 14:12   #157
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

Quote:

Judy
Opppss... Sorry...
only had half my mind on things as the Commons and Lords were reminiscing about Maggie on the box... some interesting stuff coming out...
Can't you hang a right at Portugal and winter in the UK/Channel Isles.. they're not Schengen.. are they..?
Then come Spring.. do Scandinavia/Norway and work back down.. back to a different part of the UK or N. Ireland... and do France, N. Spain before making your way back home..
Not the Med.. but lots more beautiful places to sail around... spectacular in some case's...
If you've already been there.... Sorry...
PS; If you can manage without a marina and live on a mooring or at anchor you'll have it cracked in the UK.. from Falmouth you can hop your way up the coast as far as the Solent... save some money for Christmas/NY in London..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 14:49   #158
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm feeling all put off again. This whole 90 day deal is crap when you are talking multiple countries. Talk about a system that just seems to be saying to vistors/tourists "it was nice meeting you, now get the hell out!"
Old 10-04-2013, 14:59   #159
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

its really not THAT hard..sail into the MED, spend a month between Gibralter and the Baleirics, a month or 2 around Corsica, Sardinia, Italy, 2 or 4 in Croatia, 2 or 3 in Greece head to Turkey for winter or back to Croatia or to the african coast and you can cruise pretty much full time.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:07   #160
CLOD

Boat: none

What happens if you exceed the 90 days and get caught? Do you just have to leave?
Old 10-04-2013, 15:22   #161
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are you put off sailing in the EU?

To be honest... I don't know but since I've been a member I've never heard a scream... don't remember any screams anywhere else either... pretty sure if there had been it would have been on the net..
Have a read of my instant search...
Overstayed in schengen zone? - Yahoo! Answers
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1841750
http://www.euro-dollar-currency.com/...engen_visa.htm

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:12   #162

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Great Info, especially from goatboating
Sniggers...
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:56   #163

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
its really not THAT hard..sail into the MED, spend a month between Gibralter and the Baleirics, a month or 2 around Corsica, Sardinia, Italy, 2 or 4 in Croatia, 2 or 3 in Greece head to Turkey for winter or back to Croatia or to the african coast and you can cruise pretty much full time.
You do realize that following your suggested itinerary would put a non-EU citizen into violation of the Schengen visa limitation after those 2 months around Corsica, Sardinia and Italy. It would be possible to then go to Croatia for a minimum of 90 days before could legally enter Greece. Croatia is not yet a Schengen country but Greece is. And that itinerary does not account for the Med weather that does limit the months of the year that one can move about in boats.

None of this would work for us because we are going in the opposite direction. Once we leave Croatia the rest of the Med is Schengen and carries that 90-day limit. Also, the entire African coast is pretty much off limits today; especially for Americans. We had hoped to winter in Tunisia but that idea is out of the question today. I am hoping the increasing troubles in the Maghreb do not get worse so that we can stop in Morocco next year.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:05   #164
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:

You do realize that following your suggested itinerary would put a non-EU citizen into violation of the Schengen visa limitation after those 2 months around Corsica, Sardinia and Italy. It would be possible to then go to Croatia for a minimum of 90 days before could legally enter Greece. Croatia is not yet a Schengen country but Greece is. And that itinerary does not account for the Med weather that does limit the months of the year that one can move about in boats.

None of this would work for us because we are going in the opposite direction. Once we leave Croatia the rest of the Med is Schengen and carries that 90-day limit. Also, the entire African coast is pretty much off limits today; especially for Americans. We had hoped to winter in Tunisia but that idea is out of the question today. I am hoping the increasing troubles in the Maghreb do not get worse so that we can stop in Morocco next year.

Judy
Hi Judy, we're a world apart now but keep meeting here

With your American flag, I'm pretty sure you will find smiles and friendly people in Turkey, Lebanon, Gibraltar and Morocco as of the current political situation. I do agree that the EU became a monster that needs to crash and rise in a much smaller version, but the countries I listed here won't be part of the EU anytime soon. And they are stunning, well except for Gibraltar

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:34   #165
Armchair Bucketeer

Not sure how "off limits" all of North Africa is at the moment - but if Tunisia at least is in the game then not really a massive problem (albeit still a PITA).......and once Libya settles down a bit that will really open up options.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing