Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Are you 'Living the Dream' Now?
I am living the cruising dream wholly or substantially now 29 28.16%
Living the dream nearly, partially or in another manner 24 23.30%
Interrupted: earning Freedom Chips or other temporary interruption 9 8.74%
Not yet but going within 12 months 10 9.71%
Going within 5 years 18 17.48%
Going after 5 years or more 7 6.80%
Retired, returned, arrested, CLOD etc. 6 5.83%
Not going. Got other dreams! 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2010, 09:33   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Are You Living the 'Dream' Now ?

I am interested to see who is 'out there' 'Living the Dream' now.

By that I mean substantially doing it full time (or the time you have allocated) whether you are working partially or not. This can also be Living YOUR dream instead of 'THE'. So interpret widely if you prefer

Another poll asks why not, none seem to see if any are.
If you are not living your dream, how long till you cast your lines?

I have left public names in this so others will see your selection. If you are avoiding the Tax department....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:29   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hei Mark?

In the interest of accuracy…

Can that 2nd choice also mean that you have already experienced that Big Wet Dream and you are now content and happy to enjoy smaller wet dreams, more in line with what turns you on at the moment?

Or is that still a continuation of the BWD?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:33   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Is Living the Dream really fixing your boat in exotic locations? The except for the location bit we are living it! WOO HOO!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:58   #4

Boat: searching
We think we are. Moved on the boat Aug 27th and lucky enough to be gunkholing around the Puget Sound. Still in the honeymoon stage will big grins. Cool weather and no hordes this time of year. Here on Sucia Island we didn't meet a soul yesterday, had the place to ourselves. Taking small steps and getting ready for the real adventure next spring summer. North to Alaska. I'll put these NW vistas up against any, the mountains all around are wearing their new snow.
Thanks for asking.
Old 29-10-2010, 11:37   #5

We put the offer on a Sabre 42, inspection will be next month, hope to get everything sold and be headed to the Caribbean by March and then just keep going for a few years.
MarkJ- Are you planning on spending some time in the caribbean after the ARC trip? I've always enjoyed your post, I'm 35 and the admiral is 25, I'd certainly like to get your thoughts on your trip. You are doing exactly what we are planning on doing and best wishes on the trip over!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:45   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Living the dream? Yes and no. i was cruising for 4 years then got bored so sailed back to london and now working again. Todays dream is lots of fun, its good to be busy again. And I get paid. No doubt in a few years i'll get bored again and go do something else.
The dream for me got better after realising that if you are not having a good time then go do something else that means you do have a good time, when that is no longer cuts it then go do something else. Today is where the action is. Though how you really feel and how you think you should feel according to society are very different animals and hard to pull apart.
Me in May -"Look at me living the dream, anchored up in paradise without a care in the world."
But more accurately - "look at me bored sh*tless with a meaningless existance and completely dissatified"

Actually that's putting it far to strong, cruising is great and I love it but I need a bit more sometimes.

But next time I'm going all the way round.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:48   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
The boat mortgage will be paid off nine years from now, and one month later I'm scheduled to retire. There's no rush, really, because I'm still at the point where I love my work. ...if only there wasn't so much of it!
Old 29-10-2010, 11:53   #8

Boat: 42 hatteras
living on a boat, working not too far from it, bills are low, and shopping for my own boat, life is good.
Ruf361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:53   #9

Boat: Island Packet 380
Living the dream...heck yah!! But cruising is not a verb, it is a frame of mind.

So who says you have to buy the boat, slip the dock lines and sail off into the sunset in order to declare you are cruising? My husband and I have decided we should not wait for the kids to leave for college or wait until we buy the "big" boat to start our cruising life.

For years, we have been reading magazines, books, taking classes, sailing as much as we can, all in the hopes that one day we will slip the lines off the dock. Undoubtly, we will still get to that day at some point in the forseeable future, however we have declared today as the start of our cruising lifestyle. You see, we have determined that cruising is a frame of mind.

Cruising to us means that we have placed what is important first and because we have done so, we are able to now live a simplier and unemcumbered lifestyle. Turns out, we have learned we can do just that even before we buy the "big" boat.

Now don't get me wrong, we still spend countless hours browsing yachtworld.com, discussing the finer points of a boats list of specifications and fight over who gets to read the latest issue of our sailing magazines first.

We are embarking today on our cruising lifestyle because we are taking a new approach to living the life we envision while we will actually be sailing the "big" boat but doing so on land, here, today and everyday.
Old 29-10-2010, 12:09   #10

sweetsailing- that was a great post! It is amazing how once we decided to do this it effects the way you look at things on a day to day basis and what you really find important. Jess told me the other day she hadn't been shopping for clothes in the last few months and just realized it, she said that stuff just doesn't matter to her anymore. As great as I hope the trip will be, I think it is the way it will change our view of things that will last the longest.
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 12:15   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Too complicated to pic one.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 12:39   #12
CLOD

Boat: none
I messed up my vote........now I'm a retired CLOD etc. instead of a dreamer. Maybe my vote will get deleted and I can try again.

But; MarkJ I don't see your name in the voters!

Then again, do you ever get to your dream as that means you have stopped dreaming?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 12:50   #13

Boat: Custom
When I dream, I dream that my dream, that I have dreamed forever, has turned from a dream to reality.

But then I awake.

So for now my dream is just that a dream.

So in answer to your question I am living the dream just not in the way I dreamed I would dream.

(somebody get me a sausage mcmuffin! )

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 15:13   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

But; MarkJ I don't see your name in the voters!
I dint put my vote up before I went to dinner. Now I can't see any names, I kninda thought it would be fun to see who is doing what.

Wonderful posts on what people think is their dream and goal and those pre-acheiving it and those that have already done in and moving onto other dreams etc.

Its nice to know so many of us are acheiving our dreams now and how important is is to acheive them, not matter what they are

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 15:27   #15
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I dint put my vote up before I went to dinner. Now I can't see any names, I kninda thought it would be fun to see who is doing what.

Wonderful posts on what people think is their dream and goal and those pre-acheiving it and those that have already done in and moving onto other dreams etc.

Its nice to know so many of us are acheiving our dreams now and how important is is to acheive them, not matter what they are

Got to click on one of the vote numbers to see names. Glad to see you are in your dream.

See someone joined me in the CLODs, wonder if they met to.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote