Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 13:01   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Are these issues you would avoid on this boat?

Nice joinery, fussy layout, peculiar galley (is that stove gimballed), and similar comments on tanks and rig as others have said.

One flaw that jumps out at me is the windlass installation: there is well less than 90 degrees of chain wrap around the gypsy. This means that there is a big chance for the chain to jump off whilst recovering the anchor... a potentially dangerous situation for boat and operator.

My overall impression is that a good craftsman with little seagoing experience built her. Give some more thought as to how all the gear will work at sea, and under less than ideal conditions. It is difficult to tell all that much from the (nicely done) photos.

As the owner of a one-off boat, I know that there can be great rewards as well as deep pitfalls. I am fortunate that the shipwright who designed and built our interior was a very experienced cruiser/sailor and the results show that well. Try to evaluate this boat in that light.

I hope that it works out well for you.

Jim
Old 23-03-2014, 13:16   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

The listing is a bit confusing. It sounds like the boat did not actually hit the water until 1991, so the Westerbeke is probably original and just clean. It also looks like one of the fuel tanks is right there forward of the engine, easily removed through the floorboards. The question remains as to whether the others are as easily accessible.

It does look very high at the bow but that might just be the camera angle...hard to tell.

I'll echo the advice of others and say that this is a boat for an experienced boat buyer who can determine to their own satisfaction exactly what they are getting and what they are getting into. The boat is inexpensive because it's home built (by the sound of it) and so difficult to properly assess.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 13:42   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Did you see the aromatic cedar in the back of the hanging locker? Very nice.

The windlass might be an ABI knockoff of the RC Plath. If its the Plath it is a better windlass. Both are good if they match the chain. I think the chain is run over the cross tube on the sampson post and gives it an appearance of not be led properly.

I agree, the photos are well done and show some features that other photographers would miss. You've seen the boat so you know if the photos are accurately depicting what's there.

Without a doubt I'd get a survey of the boat if you are wanting to purchase. Engines can be surveyed too but if it starts and runs and doesn't leak a bunch of oil and pushes you to and from the slip and up and down the river for a few hours then it'll probably be a good one.
Old 23-03-2014, 13:42   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

BigJer40,

Take your tape measure (seriously). I remember from another post that berth size was an issue for you.

IMO, the stove could be impossible to use under way if it is not gimballed. And what would you keep in those drawers that you can't get to when cooking? Could you cook at all in a seaway? (Probably not important if you're not going to sea in it.)

On the foredeck, could you even use the rope winch side of the windlass? Where would you tie off the snubber line? Is the chain side really set up so that the chain will sooon eat its way through the wood? How is it fixed for handholds below decks (head and saloon)?

I noticed a lot of gaps where the dodger is fitted. If you're sailing on the wind, in 20 k, and maybe even less than that, sea water will squirt viciously under that. Stopped in the rain, probably okay, if there is no wind. If you're handy, you will be able to fix that pretty easily.

As others have said, and you said you would, do check the removability of those other black iron tanks.

Black stain on the Alaskan cedar will indicate if there is rot in the timber. It is an unusual timber to use for mast construction. Not saying it's bad, 'cause I do not know.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 23-03-2014, 14:46   #20

Black iron fuel tanks, to me, would signify tanks made of hot-rolled (GP) steel plate, rather than "sheet steel painted black".

GP steel looks almost black due to mill scale, and this was a traditional way of describing the material in marine use.

It can be a good fuel tank material under the right circumstances, and if well made and well kept.

If the tanks are not rusty inside or (more likely) outside, they'll be fine; if they're rusty, you need to bargain on replacement.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 16:25   #21

Went back and looked at lower part of mast today. It looks flawless. The hardware was very securely attached. The spreaders appeared to be in good shape but hard to tell from the deck. Surprisingly, the pictures don't do the woodwork justice. One of the very few times I went on a boat and just thought "wow". This is a v-berth that is a very easy in and out. Wife and I have plenty of room. Also the settee and rear quarter berth are comfortable. I would be comfortable with going over the engine but will for sure have surveyor and rigger look at it. Want to make sure the electrical was done right as well.
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 16:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjer40 View Post
Want to make sure the electrical was done right as well.
Does the PO have the wiring diagram? Are you able to field check it yourself?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 16:43   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

ANASTASIA 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Here are the boat's specs. From them I would assume this to be a very roomy boat, for its waterline. But I would not expect much sailing performance.

Lovely interior.

Hull Type: Long Keel Rig Type: Cutter
LOA: 32.00' / 9.75m LWL: 25.12' / 7.66m
Beam: 11.92' / 3.63m Listed SA: 630 ft2 / 58.53 m2
Draft (max.) 4.58' / 1.40m Draft (min.)
Disp. 21200 lbs./ 9616 kgs. Ballast: 6300 lbs. / 2858 kgs.
SA/Disp.: 13.21 Bal./Disp.: 29.72% Disp./Len.: 597.08
Designer: Bruce Binham
Builder: Nor'Star Fiberglass Yachts (USA)
Construct.: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1977 Last Built: 1978 # Built: 7
TANKS
Water: 100 gals. / 378 ltrs. Fuel: 80 gals. / 303 ltrs.
DESIGNER
More about & boats designed by: Bruce Bingham
NOTES
34.5' w/bowsprit.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 17:09   #24
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Lets talk specs. I know people hate specs but I offer some calculations using my trusted spreadsheet for evaluating boats.
Sail Area: 630
Disp: 21200
Ballast: 6300
LWL: 25.12
LOA: 32
Beam: 11.92
Draft: 4.58
Speed Co-efficient: 1.34 (This is a constant I use for calks following)
Max Velocity: 6.72 knots
Engine hp: 33.2 (Optimal engine size)
Velocity Ratio: .98 (less than optimal)
SA / D Ratio: 13.6 (Typical Cruiser)
D / L Ratio: 597.08 (WOW extreme!)
B / D Ratio: 30% (a little less than average healing resistance)
L / B Ratio: 2.11 (Beamy)
Motion Comfort: 31.34 (moderate motion)
Capsize: 1.72 (< 2 stable)
Roll Period: 4.49
Roll Acceleration: .37

This is heavier than the Bingham sister the Fantasia 35 which I believed till now the pig of all boats.
FANTASIA 35 (BINGHAM) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

To each his own but I think its too heavy a choice for cruising e.g. you can find better.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 17:47   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Lets talk specs. I know people hate specs but I offer some calculations using my trusted spreadsheet for evaluating boats.
Sail Area: 630
Disp: 21200
Ballast: 6300
LWL: 25.12
LOA: 32
Beam: 11.92
Draft: 4.58
Speed Co-efficient: 1.34 (This is a constant I use for calks following)
Max Velocity: 6.72 knots
Engine hp: 33.2 (Optimal engine size)
Velocity Ratio: .98 (less than optimal)
SA / D Ratio: 13.6 (Typical Cruiser)
D / L Ratio: 597.08 (WOW extreme!)
B / D Ratio: 30% (a little less than average healing resistance)
L / B Ratio: 2.11 (Beamy)
Motion Comfort: 31.34 (moderate motion)
Capsize: 1.72 (< 2 stable)
Roll Period: 4.49
Roll Acceleration: .37

This is heavier than the Bingham sister the Fantasia 35 which I believed till now the pig of all boats.
FANTASIA 35 (BINGHAM) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

To each his own but I think its too heavy a choice for cruising e.g. you can find better.
Sure is perdy inside though.
Old 23-03-2014, 18:03   #26
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Delmarrey: Oh Del, so much wood, so much cleaning
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 18:16   #27

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Yup. You'd really have to love it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 19:21   #28

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Delmarrey: Oh Del, so much wood, so much cleaning
Not just the cleaning, but the varnishing. By the time you finished it would be time to start again.
Seriously the boat appears to have been built by a craftsman who loved building in timber, but probably not a sailer. I would echo Anne's coments.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 19:47   #29

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Very nice looking boat, appears to have been lightly used and well maintained. Not a modern style, traditional, tried and true.
That displacement jumped out at me too, but I'm thinking the glass layup is super heavy, from the early days when they were solid, thick, and tough as nails. Assuming you're in the PNW, that's probably a big plus.

A wooden mast and boom is simply the way it used to be, if it surveys OK in other respects, I wouldn't worry about it.
The mast is probably painted with a durable, long lasting paint and will last a long time, don't sweat it. I once helped to varnish, yearly, not just one mast and boom, but two of them (on a big yawl, and somewhat longer than on this boat), the operative words being "yearly and varnish", which is always preceded by "prepping, sanding, several coats"...

If you're happy with it, and it all checks out (do a serious sea trial too), go for it; it looks to be a fine ship that will serve you well.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 20:41   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Big Jer,

What some of Salty's figures mean is that you are looking at a 22,000 boat on a 25 ft. waterline, and she's tender, too. An extension of this is that she'll hardly ever get out of her own way, unless it's blowing strongly. [For comparison, with all our junk, fuel, and water on board, we displace between 10 & 11 tonnes. On a 44 ft. waterline. This is not a race boat, but a performance cruiser sort.] The "tender" bit means that she heels more readily, a tendency to go quickly to a deepish heel angle all the time, and that means that for cruising, you would find it more tiring than on a "stiffer" boat. She will not be a sprightly sailor.

I think what Salty was getting at is that he thinks you can find a better sailing boat for that price.

She does look like whoever constructed her loved working in timber, but that windlass set up could really get you hurt. You might want to ask yourself is it worth that risk? "Boat lust" is a terrible thing, and she's right in the smell check and berth length regions, so it must be hard to hold yourselves back, I'm sure....

Good luck, mate,

Ann