Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 00:19   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Are signal flags still relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
StuM: I couldn't find an app that provided anything like the full set of codes. If you could install "APK Extractor" from the Google Play store you could use it to copy and make it available... OTOH I can't imagine needing it either.

Greg

OK, I've just done so and put the APK up on one of my websites.

Looks like it is abandonware. The authors domain is currently parked with GoDaddy.

I've PMed you with a URL to download the zipped APK.

Anyone else wanting it, feel free to PM me.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 00:39   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Skimming ICS , I came across a signal that indicates considerable foresight by the drafters:

CH2 - Space ship is down in Lat... Lon... and requires immediate assistance.

Old 13-03-2019, 01:05   #48

Signal flags. Lamp signalling. Morse code. This isn't World War 2. Is this stuff really relevant anymore, except to the real aficionados?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 01:12   #49

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Signal flags. Lamp signalling. Morse code. This isn't World War 2. Is this stuff really relevant anymore, except to the real aficionados?
I have the flag kit, don't know morse but could muddle thru. I don't think this stuff is relevant to us normal sailors at all to use on a daily basis, EXCEPT for this: I'm pretty sure anyone on any military or coast guard vessel or aircraft DOES know it as a matter of course, at least the comms or watch guys. If I need help, they're the ones who will actually be able to understand it

On our boat, we can yell at the cruiser next door in 8 or 9 languages for more beer, the flags ain't for that
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 02:21   #50

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I have the flag kit, don't know morse but could muddle thru. I don't think this stuff is relevant to us normal sailors at all to use on a daily basis, EXCEPT for this: I'm pretty sure anyone on any military or coast guard vessel or aircraft DOES know it as a matter of course, at least the comms or watch guys. If I need help, they're the ones who will actually be able to understand it

On our boat, we can yell at the cruiser next door in 8 or 9 languages for more beer, the flags ain't for that
I think you touch on a great point. If you are in distress, and lost power (ability to use radio), hoisting the proper distress flags would be extremely useful for rescue crews. I understand, that in the middle of a horrific experience at sea, you may not be capable of finding flags and getting them up, BUT, it could be very useful for rescuers.

That said, I love the fun side of using signal flags for holidays and as an 'easter egg' type of joke for your boat, or among fellow cruisers at anchor. There is a reason why boat shows fly useless colorful flags to adorn their boats. They are beautiful, yet, they also mean something! ... to trained personnel, like rescuers.

I can't really think of a downside to having a set of signal flags aboard, unless you just have no space for them. As you said [Sojourner], knowing morse code and signal flags may be old school, having a basic understanding of what they mean may save your life in certain circumstances.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 02:45   #51

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Here's a picture. Remember the order might be reversed because we are in the southern hemisphere.
Well... yes... sort of reversed... little mast is at the front... big at the back....
Not quite what you would expect on a warship....mind you they are a USN design... all a bit confusing...

That is either HMAS Melbourne (05) or HMAS Newcastle (06) ... both in 'Fleet East' based in Sydney.

EDIT... I'll take a punt and say that in that pic she is loading or discharging munitions down at Eden, NSW....

Navies use a range of flags in addition to the 'standard' set which - 'frinstance - only has 3 'substitutes. Some of their 'international' flags also have an alternate meaning.

Mas aqui..

https://combat.ws/S4/SAILOR/APNDX7.HTM
Old 13-03-2019, 04:47   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
I think you touch on a great point. If you are in distress, and lost power (ability to use radio), hoisting the proper distress flags would be extremely useful for rescue crews. I understand, that in the middle of a horrific experience at sea, you may not be capable of finding flags and getting them up, BUT, it could be very useful for rescuers.

I've got 3 sets of NC flags on board that came with the boat.

(I am in distress and require immediate assistance )
Old 13-03-2019, 05:19   #53
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

Having a copy of life saving signals is actually a requirement under SOLAS V

http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/facili...navigation.pdf
Quote:
REGULATION 29 - Life-saving signals to be used by ships, aircraft or
persons in distress
An illustrated table describing the life-saving signals* shall be readily available to
the officer of the watch of every ship to which this chapter applies. The signals
shall be used by ships or persons in distress when communicating with lifesaving stations, maritime rescue units and aircraft engaged in search and rescue
operations.

* Such life-saving signals are described in the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search
and Rescue Manual (IAMSAR) Vol.III, Mobile Facilities and illustrated in the International Code of
Signals, as amended pursuant to resolution A.80(IV).
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:17   #54

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Stu.

That is it !

Sierra
November

Thank you

Denny
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 07:10   #55

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I have N, C (distress) , Q (quarantene until clear in) and A (diver down) on board.
Old 13-03-2019, 14:48   #56

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Well... yes... sort of reversed... little mast is at the front... big at the back....
Not quite what you would expect on a warship....mind you they are a USN design... all a bit confusing...

That is either HMAS Melbourne (05) or HMAS Newcastle (06) ... both in 'Fleet East' based in Sydney.

EDIT... I'll take a punt and say that in that pic she is loading or discharging munitions down at Eden, NSW....

Navies use a range of flags in addition to the 'standard' set which - 'frinstance - only has 3 'substitutes. Some of their 'international' flags also have an alternate meaning.

Mas aqui..

https://combat.ws/S4/SAILOR/APNDX7.HTM
They were loading munitions. Watched them take a truck load of missiles onboard. They left with one mounted on the bow launcher pointing skyward. I checked the newspaper online but couldn't figure out who Australia was going to war with.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 15:19   #57
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Did not read all the replies, but I will still hang on to my full set as a last ditch signaling device.

Small anecdote,....
in the late 70's sailed in to Ponape (Caroline Islands) with a large liveaboard dive boat.

They had just formed the Federated States of Micronesia
but no national flag was yet available.

So as a courtesy I flew signal flagd FSM.... and apparently was the only ship to have done that.
News reached the locals and their first President and first Governor of that State.

Since we were forming a company in this new country, it went a long way towards generating good will and was a nice memory.

Never know when a new country and a courtesy flag gesture comes in handy
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 15:37   #58

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

There’s always somewhere to put signal flags. I made this to fit in a gap between two doors.

I used OQ just the other day. It’s surprising how often there’s a useful signal worth flying. I’ve had lunch flying JH to warn others in the east coast of England.

Thinking back to a previous thread, perhaps it might not be a terrible idea to fly SZ1 when singlehanding...

Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 16:07   #59

I see boats flying signal flags every time they do their laundry, but never could make any sense of what was being communicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	920x920.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	187950  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 23:14   #60

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
I see boats flying signal flags every time they do their laundry, but never could make any sense of what was being communicated.
I think this boat is saying "HELP! PLEASE SEND MORE COLORFUL WARDROBE."

WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags