Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2010, 10:11   #76

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
"The only reason why I am paranoid is because everyone is out to get me." ~ Frank Burns, M.A.S.H.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:56   #77

In my observations, there are 2 main factors involved in risk. Ignorance and Tolerance. It is acceptable to be tolerant of a risk factor if you're well aware of it. Or even if you're not well aware of the factor itself, you're well aware that there is an unknown risk and can account for that.

The second factor is tolerance. How tolerant are you of the risk? What is it worth to you? And what is your personal trade off? Are you willing to buy every conceivable piece of safety gear and string new standing rigging every 5 years no matter what? Probably not. Do you recognize the consequences of that choice? Maybe? Hopefully.

I respect people that are not ignorant of the risk and choose to take the risk anyway. That is their personal choice. I respect people that are not ignorant of the risk and choose to do everything they can to stop it or minimize it. I do not respect people ignorant of the risk factors involved in what they are doing. That is the sin.

Managing risk is a personal choice. Who am I to tell you what is acceptable and not acceptable beyond the basics of making sure you don't endanger me with your risk taking? Well the answer is that I'm not. I might not check the oil every time I start the engine but I'm not going to give you flak for it. You might not go over the rigging every three months with a fine tooth comb, but don't give me flak for doing it.

I rode motorcycles for years. Some of the guys in our group wore full riding gear, some cheap full suits, some only helmets, and some were in flip flops with no helmet at all. Usually the guys with nothing were ignorant of the risk. A well informed rider knew enough to know wearing a helmet is a small price to pay to manage a huge risk.

Personally I use the 80/20 rule. I try to minimize my risk without compromising my fun and adventure. I try to understand the trade offs I've made. I try to recognize the places where I am weak (my risk is high). I ask myself if those weaknesses are acceptable to ME and to the people that share in those risks. I try to inform those that share in the risks of what I perceive them to be. And I look to those that are knowledgeable to garner a greater understanding of those risks. I think that is the responsible thing to do and it is a deeply personal choice with no single answer.

Let the paranoid crow. Let the free spirits run wild. But hopefully they both know what they've sacrificed to achieve their personal risk levels.

I would love to see some sort of measure of personal locus of control vs risk taking. It'd be interesting to see how that affects our personal choices regarding safety.
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:57   #78

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Phil- You aren't paranoid. We had a crew member leave the seawater valve open in the head just last week. About 200 gallons taken on board.

Ventura: I should have qualified my statement about checklists being "around these parts".

I have just about got my safety gear inventory complete. Finally.
Old 14-05-2010, 18:23   #79

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
Phil- You aren't paranoid. We had a crew member leave the seawater valve open in the head just last week. About 200 gallons taken on board.

Ventura: I should have qualified my statement about checklists being "around these parts".

I have just about got my safety gear inventory complete. Finally.
Maybe you should install an anti siphon loop.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 18:28   #80
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Anti-siphon loops are wonderful things. Highly recommended.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:28   #81
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Are Sailors Too Paranoid

to go along with my "too many scary stories" thread; based on some of those responses I figured I would revive this one

I still feel sailors are way too paranoid!
Old 03-02-2012, 14:11   #82

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Could not agree more, face it nobody lives forever so you can take all the precautions you want against the may never happen whatever disaster you can imagine and drop dead of a stroke at 35. It happens. Enjoy the now and let the future take care of itself.
Old 03-02-2012, 14:19   #83

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
... Enjoy the now and let the future take care of itself.

The future ain't what it used to be!
Old 03-02-2012, 14:29   #84

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post

The future ain't what it used to be!
+1 Funny!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:44   #85

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
to go along with my "too many scary stories" thread; based on some of those responses I figured I would revive this one

So what is it that you think sailors are paranoid about?

My biggest paranoia is correctly following immigration regulations. Can't think of anything else regarding sailing/cruising that particularly gives me any concern.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:18   #86

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
My biggest paranoia is correctly following immigration regulations.
You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you! Seriously, in most of the world that too is my main concern--dealing with the bureaucracy, which I hate, though in reality if you go in with a positive attitude, treat everyone with respect (how you would like to be treated), and do the best you can to comply with what you think the regulations are you usually have no issues. Make it a point to offer a handshake, a smile, and do things their way and all will go smoothly, even if your papers aren't in perfect order.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas

Wth all the hundreds of sailors I have sailed with I have never seen any as paranoid as internet posters.

Those that do it just get on with it.

Much of the stuff argued here like, "What is the best knot to secure this line?" never gets discussed. If you state you know how to hank on the jib, attach the sheets and raise it you are taken at your word and dispatched to the foredeck... Until you screw it up - then you get to sit on the rail and balance the boat. When you drop the jib the only question for the skipper/owner might be, "flaked or rolled?"

If you say, "I don't know how to fly the spinnaker", someone or more will show you how.

And if your engine quits or your boat leaks no one beats you up about your subpar fuel filter or plastic through hulls. You just handle it.

And most important, I have never, ever, ever, heard anyone criticize someone's ground tackle.

Lots of armchair sailors here and this place is probably 70% entertainment.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02   #88
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Lots of armchair sailors here and this place is probably 70% entertainment.
I will have to agree with that! A lot of the stuff that gets discussed here seemed more important back in the days from my armchair before I got my first boat and put in some time on it.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10   #89

Boat: Grampian 26

How did you move the arm chair to the boat, and did you use 316 SS or carbon fibre to attach and re- enforce it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42   #90

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
How did you move the arm chair to the boat, and did you use 316 SS or carbon fibre to attach and re- enforce it.
Nah.... he just anchored it, with a Don-forth...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote