Old 23-04-2010, 08:20   #61
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
What's wrong with oil pressure and temperature gauges? Both will tell you the engine is having an oil problem well before catastrophic failure...
LOL... Been Wondering when someone would mention those everyday engine aids, just didn't want to disturb the expertise....
Classic case of "The Wood for the Trees"... Paranoia....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 08:35   #62

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Motorsailed a 32ft steel boat on a delivery from Agua Dulce, Spain to Galleons Reach on the Thames doing a delivery with just 3 stops, 1st Gib for cheap fuel, 2nd Baiona for fuel, 3rd Gurnsey for top up for last leg... total time 14 days/nights.
Had to motorsail as the boat was overcanvassed/rigged and virtually unsailable... owner was aware of this so no stress from that quarter, a fast delivery was asked for... he'd just bought it cheap and was planning a re-rig in the UK.
No oil/engine problems... hardly burnt any oil....damn good Mercedes...

Born To Be Wild
Old 23-04-2010, 09:06   #63

What? What! What do you mean by that?
Old 23-04-2010, 15:49   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Well, I got an interesting story... when we went along the Gulf of Aden via sundry pirates we were in a convoy of 26 yachts motoring non-stop for 5 days.
Mark
I've never owned a boat that carried enough fuel to motor more than about 36 hrs.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 20:11   #65

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
What? What! What do you mean by that?
People were starting to compare boats against car engines which are subject to much greater variance of revving and much higher loads...
to my way of thinking the boats diesel is a different beast.. exceed 2k rpm rarely... if ever.. hopefully never..
Plod along at 1800rpm forever.. I do go up to 1900 for an hour a day tho..
14 days = over 320hrs.. never checked the oil.. did not have to..
Only check once a month anyway... and thats for colour and grit mainly..
Only an outboard at present tho...lol
Sorry if I butted in...

In Gib one used to be able to get 25litre HD plastic containers from the
Desalination plant, quick rinse out of the chemical powder and time to drain dry they could be used for fuel or water.. I carried 200 extra litres strapped to the side decks.

Born To Be Wild
Old 24-04-2010, 05:34   #66
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Even though I started this and was saying we get too paranoid, I may have started a trend lately of becoming semi-paranoid at least;

After 22 years of not having an automatic bilge pump I decided to install. Now I've never had a bilge water problem, but while on the hard this winter and with all the rain the bilge acturally did fill to the lower section. This coupled with finding out that last year the only thing between the ocean and the boat on a 1-1/4" thur fitting was caulk got me a little worried. So I installed a float, but didn't like the switch so installed a different one. And just to stay a little on the paranoid side of worrying that the switch wouldn't work I installed both switches at different levels directly fused to the battery.

I say this is only semi-paranoid because if I was heading fully into the paranoid world I would have installed a second electric automatic pump.
Old 24-04-2010, 05:40   #67

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Even though I started this and was saying we get too paranoid, I may have started a trend lately of becoming semi-paranoid at least;

After 22 years of not having an automatic bilge pump I decided to install. Now I've never had a bilge water problem, but while on the hard this winter and all the rain the bilge acturally did fill the lower section. This coupled to finding out that last year the only thing between the ocean the boat on a 1-1/4" thur fitting was caulk got be a little worried. So I installed a float, but didn't like the switch so installed a different one. And just to stay a little on the paranoid side of worrying that the switch wouldn't work I installed both switches at different levels directly fused to the battery.

I say this is only semi-paranoid because if I was heading fully into the paranoid world I would have installed a second electric automatic pump.
Serviced by its own private battery maintained by a dedicated solar panel...

Born To Be Wild
Old 24-04-2010, 05:46   #68
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
That would only be paranoid if the bilge pump's battery bank was bigger than the house battery bank. Otherwise it sounds foolish.
Old 24-04-2010, 05:47   #69
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Those who ply their trade (or pleasure) on the sea know that Murphy's Law is real, and that the consequences of flaunting Mr. Murphy can be exceedingly expensive, or even fatal. That's why we're considered "paranoid", at least by landlubber standards.
Old 24-04-2010, 06:32   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Those who ply their trade (or pleasure) on the sea know that Murphy's Law is real, and that the consequences of flaunting Mr. Murphy can be exceedingly expensive, or even fatal. That's why we're considered "paranoid", at least by landlubber standards.
Ha! Try aviation. In gliding there are FIVE ways of releasing the winch cable
  1. Normal - pull the yellow knob
  2. Back release - assuming that the yellow knob fails, the tost rings cannot take back pressure. Fly past the winch and the cable should pull out.
  3. Weak link - assuming that 1 & 2 above fail, the cable has a weak link that the glider should be able to stress and break without damaging the airframe. It is like landing a 10lb fish with a 2lb line.
  4. Assuming that the above fail, the winch has a guillotine to cut the cable.
  5. Assuming that the guillotine fails, manual cutters are kept in the winch.

How's that for paranoid? Sometimes the winch driver drops the tension in the cable and forces method 2 on me. Ocassionally through over-eager flying (or gusts) number 3 occurs and the weak link breaks. I have never, in 13 years flying, had methods 4 or 5 but they are there to be used.

In my planning for the boat I have budgetted for 2 electric bilge pumps.
Old 24-04-2010, 07:50   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Understanding real risks putting and them in their proper perspective is not the same thing as paranoia in my mind.

I think paranoia is letting things you are capable of dealing with or are unlikely to occur prevent you from enjoying your cruise.
Old 24-04-2010, 12:33   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
That would only be paranoid if the bilge pump's battery bank was bigger than the house battery bank. Otherwise it sounds foolish.
But the boats house system could fail/catch fire.. and the engine break down... no power source...
But JOY.... you have the back up.. just in case...lol

Sorry Guys/Gals... sometimes I just cannot resist being silly...

Born To Be Wild
Old 24-04-2010, 14:21   #73

When we first started cruising, it took us about 2 weeks in the Abacos to realize that there was something wrong with us. We didn’t have a schedule; we weren’t in a hurry; we thought we were laid back cruisers; but we just didn’t get it. If we’d seen what there was to see in Hopetown or wherever and we felt like moving on, the next anchorage was only 20 miles away. If it was blowing 25 knots with choppy seas, so what? The forecast said it wouldn’t get much worse, and we could easily handle that for a few hours. So why were we the only ones leaving the harbor?

Partly it’s just a variant on Murphy’s law. If you set sail often enough, you will get a sudden and nasty weather surprise. If you start out in iffy conditions, well it’s gonna happen more often. Partly it’s just the nature of the Bahamas. Aids to navigation are scarce to put it generously; many anchorages are shallow, bounded by reefs, and studded with coral heads; and you need favorable light and sea state to safely eyeball your way into them.

But mostly it’s not paranoia at all; it’s just Island Time: If you’re already in paradise and the boat isn’t quite right or the weather is iffy, why move? There are always boat chores to do, books to read, people to meet, bars to visit, beaches to comb, or sunsets to watch. The next island will still be waiting for you tomorrow or the next day or the day after that, so relax. It took us a couple of weeks, but we became great devotees of Island Time.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 14:27   #74

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But the boats house system could fail/catch fire.. and the engine break down... no power source...
But JOY.... you have the back up.. just in case...lol

Sorry Guys/Gals... sometimes I just cannot resist being silly...
Ok.. bite the bullet time... Two things I'm sort of PARANIOD about..

1/ The sea toilet when/after guests are on board... I didn't used to be.. but one night when on the hook in Horta(busy year)and a few people were on board toasting the 'Crossing" we suddenly realised our feet were wet.
Turned out a local girl who'd come out with a singlehander had missed the last part of the instruction of use, and not closed the valve after the flush.
Since then I've developed a nervous dash in after someones been in there.. there's a lot of people out there convinced I've a bladder problem....

2/ Other sailboats after a T-Bone ramming on the penultimate day of a 47 day crossing.. non stop form St Martin... by a boat with four crew on board, all down below drinking wine and muching bread and pate.. on autopilot and doing 6kts motor sailing... Tankers don't phase me but a sailboat...?

Born To Be Wild
Old 27-04-2010, 06:55   #75

I think a degree of paranoia is healthy and , by definition , keeps you thinking about everything that may go wrong , making it somewhat easier to cope when things do go wrong.
What I don't think is worth it is taking this permanent concern ( mind the distinction between "worry" and "concern" ) and trying to assuage it by buying a ton of accessories and devices.
Someone early said checklists are not common in sailing , that surprises me because I'm a big fan of checklists. It doesn't make you paranoid , makes you thorough and safer.
Finally , someone once said that "If you wait until you are fully prepared you will never leave" , and I subscribe to that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: